childbirth classes at the hospital?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies,
I'm new to this board. I've posted a few times, but haven't introduced myself. Im Christy, and I'm 26 weeks pregnant with my second boy. I am hoping for a VBAC this time around, after an unnecessary c-section after induction.

Anyways, my question is:
Do you think childbirth classes (classes offered by hospitals) are helpful, or will I just get the standard info about how interventions are "good"? I didn't take one when I was pregnant with my son, and I was thinking about it this time around. Would you recommend it?

thanks

January 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM
noworries
Look into what claases are offered at the hospital. The hospital I gave birth at offered hypnobirthing, a music and birthing class, and others that are geared toward natural birth.

Look into what classes are offered at the hospital. The hospital I gave birth at offered hypnobirthing, a music and birthing class, and others that are geared toward natural birth.
January 13th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I would call first. Otherwise I would try calling some midwives in your area and see if they recomend any classes

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some hospitals have good classes, most have the general overview of how they do things with some breathing and relaxation information.

It doesn't hurt to go to the class, especially if it is free or low cost. I would though either do an independent class or at least pick a NCB method and read the home study info.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 13th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Look into what claases are offered at the hospital. The hospital I gave birth at offered hypnobirthing, a music and birthing class, and others that are geared toward natural birth.

Look into what classes are offered at the hospital. The hospital I gave birth at offered hypnobirthing, a music and birthing class, and others that are geared toward natural birth.[/b]
oh i wish we had those. At our two hospitals, it's just the basic childbirth classes. I am going to look around for others not hospital oriented. On the plus side, there is a free breastfeeding class though. I'm going to that for sure.

January 14th, 2009, 05:22 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
taking a class is really important, imo. and many hospital based classes are great. I think you would benefit greatly from it, even if it's more about normal labor and types of interventions specific to your hospital then about relaxation techniques.

January 14th, 2009, 06:55 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I think classes are great too....but I personally would not go to a hospital one UNLESS it was something specific like hypnobabies. General classes are filled with lies....I have heard some crazy stories about things they teach in those classes. For example one lady in my DDC was told that they "let" ladies with epidurals push longer b/c it doesn't hurt them as much, so they have a less chance of tearing.

I think if you really don't have an option for a more natural geared class, there are lots of books you could read. Where do you live? Are you hiring a Doula? My doula taught classes in her home, they were intimate, comfortable and fantastic. My husband really benefited from the classes. if you are hiring a doula you may be able to find out about classes through her.

I may be able to do some digging around if you tell me where you live. I am on a few doula networks online, as is CherylK. I could see if there are classes being offered around your area.

January 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I think hospital classes can be great though Cheryl33.... those horror stories are imo often exhadurated, and usually rare. The hospital classes here are tought by a wonderful group of nurses who really know their stuff. Also when you're planning to give birth in the hospital it can be good to really know their stance on VBAC (for the OP) and standard procedures/birthing climate.

January 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
well, there ya go! B)
January 14th, 2009, 11:52 AM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just lurking here. I took a childbirth class at the hospital I delivered at. Although epidurals and interventions were discussed, the instructor had given birth to all her children naturally and was an advocate for natural child birth and non-pharm pain relief interventions. I noticed that she always said "if you get an epidural..." not "when you get your epidural..." Overall I was happy with the materal taught in my class.

January 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Just lurking here. I took a childbirth class at the hospital I delivered at. Although epidurals and interventions were discussed, the instructor had given birth to all her children naturally and was an advocate for natural child birth and non-pharm pain relief interventions. I noticed that she always said "if you get an epidural..." not "when you get your epidural..." Overall I was happy with the materal taught in my class.[/b]
My class last weekend was very similar. There was talk of epidurals/interventions, but it was not emphasized, My instructor also had NCB with both of her children so that helped the tone of the class as well. I was very pleased with the class and so was DH - he left saying he felt much more confident that we could do this.
January 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Quote:
well, there ya go! B)[/b]
I think in the past the horrid hospital classes were more prevelant. Thank goodness they're getting better, right?

and I hope I didn't offend you, I think I've run out of tact this very hectic week!

January 14th, 2009, 02:55 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
just curious, if these hospitals are offering all these great classes, which is sounds like they are, why is the epidural rate still so high? you would think it would go down

January 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took class with my first pregnancy, my doula suggested not to take classes at hospital, and I found classes taught by doula and it was awesome!!!!

January 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Quote:
just curious, if these hospitals are offering all these great classes, which is sounds like they are, why is the epidural rate still so high? you would think it would go down [/b]
The epidural rate is high because the average american woman is afraid of pain, views vunerability as shameful, feels like she can beat the odds by having no or minimal side effects and has been taught that taking the easy way is the better way. Doctors have a big part of it too- they don't encourage questioning and usually act far superior to anyone else, so when they say an epidural has no side effects (and they almost always say or imply that) their word is gold, no matter what a teacher taught.

January 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I guess you are right, I am just optimistic (and naive) to think that proper education can erase all the damage done surrounding child birth The fear of pain is ridiculous. The "Hollywood" image of childbirth is extreme and terrible.

ok, done hijacking the thread

January 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
just curious, if these hospitals are offering all these great classes, which is sounds like they are, why is the epidural rate still so high? you would think it would go down [/b]
The epidural rate is high because the average american woman is afraid of pain, views vunerability as shameful, feels like she can beat the odds by having no or minimal side effects and has been taught that taking the easy way is the better way. Doctors have a big part of it too- they don't encourage questioning and usually act far superior to anyone else, so when they say an epidural has no side effects (and they almost always say or imply that) their word is gold, no matter what a teacher taught.
[/b]
In my class, one of the first things the instructor asked was who was planning to get an epi. Everyone raised their hand except me. So it seems they had already made up their mind before the class. I don't know if anyone changed their mind or not.

January 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Quote:
I guess you are right, I am just optimistic (and naive) to think that proper education can erase all the damage done surrounding child birth The fear of pain is ridiculous. The "Hollywood" image of childbirth is extreme and terrible.

ok, done hijacking the thread [/b]
I think this was a good hyjack though

and ITA!

January 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I think hospital classes can be great though Cheryl33.... those horror stories are imo often exhadurated, and usually rare. The hospital classes here are tought by a wonderful group of nurses who really know their stuff. Also when you're planning to give birth in the hospital it can be good to really know their stance on VBAC (for the OP) and standard procedures/birthing climate.[/b]
That's a good point. I am going to take it. It's not that much money and my insurance may cover it, so why not?
Thanks for your advice, ladies

January 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I really hope you can achieve your VBAC! Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search