My midwife appointment

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2009, 10:53 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It went SOOOOO AMAZING!!

She totally convinced DH that a doula would be worthwhile...well she didn't "convince" him, she just said if I was planning a natural birth that a doula is an incredible asset becuase of the continous labor support. That was it...and so now he's ready to fork over part of our income tax return. lol.

And then my DH actually was the one to bring up what the L&D nurse had told me while I was in the hospital. Which...it came about great and I just told her I had asked one simple question (I repeated it) and then explained what the nurse had told me about the hospital policy. My midwife was furious!! She was so upset, she kept asking me if I remembered the name of the nurse...lol. She explained that she's been working with the nurses and the directors of the hospital to stop misinforming patients of their options during labor and apparantly this has been a thorn in her side for a long time...she also made it very clear that I would not have any kind of problems come b-day becuase they would support me in what we had already discussed (hepa lock, intermittent monitoring, etc.) She also couldn't beleive that the nurse had told me birth plans were useless....man she was seriously on fire!

Anyways, she gave me the business card of the director of the maternal section of the hospital to call and talk to. I guess she (the midwife) was just having a conversation the other day with the lady about this as a problem and the lady had asked her to send her any patients who run into problems...

I'm so so so so so happy...I was seriously over the moon when I left the office!! And I feel so much better knwoing that my OB and midwife stand behind me and that I will have a doula.

January 15th, 2009, 11:11 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
sounds like your appt went really well!

January 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
That's so great! I'm so happy that you have someone you can trust so much. And yay for getting a doula now!!! Woo hoo!!!!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are getting great support. AWESOME!
January 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay for a supportive provider!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 15th, 2009, 01:42 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Wow, it sounds like it couldn't have gone much better. How awesome!

Come visit my blog!
January 15th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Super Mommy
what a great midwife! glad your appointment went well

January 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you call yet? I would love to hear what they say! I'm so glad your being proactive on this---so many moms would just ignore it and then that staff member would continue to mis-inform poor patients! GOOD FOR YOU for being an advocate not only for yourself but the other moms who aren't as sure for themselves

And I'm glad your m/w was so mad---that makes me feel better because I was pretty heated also! LOL
January 16th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Did you call yet? I would love to hear what they say! I'm so glad your being proactive on this---so many moms would just ignore it and then that staff member would continue to mis-inform poor patients! GOOD FOR YOU for being an advocate not only for yourself but the other moms who aren't as sure for themselves

And I'm glad your m/w was so mad---that makes me feel better because I was pretty heated also! LOL[/b]
I'm so glad my midwife was mad to, it felt like I was completely vindicated for being nervous about this! Okay so I decided to send an email...that way i could be organized and not to emotional with the information I was trying to relay. I just sent it this morning so here is what I wrote:

I am a patient of ___(Karen___, CNM) and am currently just about 24 weeks pregnant. At my last appointment with Karen I raised some concerns about some interaction I had with the Labor and Delivery nurses. She asked me to get in contact with you and explain what had happened.
I went into Labor and Delivery on Saturday, January 3, 2009 for dehydration (I had the stomach flu and was getting constant contractions). During the time I was getting the fluids and being checked on I was making small talk with the nurse. I asked one question…”The hospital website and of course all the baby books strongly encourage you to have a birth plan, but I’ve heard that labor and delivery nurses don’t like them…” I was about to finish the question with asking her opinion when I was interrupted with a 10 minute diatribe about how “worthless” birth plans are, how the only things I needed to know prior to going into labor was when I wanted the epidural, how they’re fine for saying if you want the epidural but that there is no way I can be off a running IV, or not be on the monitors all the time. She also said that birth plans were “invented by people who had never worked Labor and Delivery or had not worked them in a long time.”
Needless to say I smiled, nodded and about went into a panic attack. At my very first appointment with Karen I had asked about the general hospital policies, particularly concerning the IV’s and monitoring. I was told I didn’t have to be on a running IV (unless of course I was there for induction or was getting an epidural), and that I would be able to have intermittent monitoring (again, providing this was a normal labor…). So to hear that I would have to be fighting the nurses in order to just be able to walk around or move into a different position really concerned me. I began looking into different hospitals and birth centers but figured I would talk to Karen before making any decisions.
The nurse otherwise was very nice and I had a great experience, but the attitude towards a normal birth that I stumbled across really concerned me.
Karen has reassured me and I’m looking forward to delivering at ____in May. Thank you very much for taking the time to read over this.
January 16th, 2009, 06:22 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that is a great letter, and I bet they can look up the nurse in your chart. I hope she gets spoken to about this!

And for DH wanting a doula now!!! That is awesome!

January 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
thats great that your midwife takes it so seriously what the nurses say and sound lsike she might have some say as to her being told off! lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 16th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Here's what the lady emailed back to me!!

Dear Sarah,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me. I am very sorry that you encountered such resistance and strong opinions from the nurse who was caring for you. I want to assure you that your birth plan will be respected and every effort will be made to help you have the birth experience that you desire.
All patients upon arrival are monitored to determine the well being of their baby and to evaluate the activity (contractions) of the uterus. Usually 20-30 minutes on the monitor will give the physician, midwife and nurse enough information to make these evaluations. The evaluation of the monitor will determine whether continuous or intermittent monitoring is appropriate. All activity including monitoring, IVs, ambulation, ice chips etc. are ordered by your MD or midwife. The nursing staff does not make the decisions regarding ambulation, IVs, monitoring etc.
Birth is a very personal experience and we will make every effort to give you the experience that you are planning for the birth of your new baby. Please feel free to contact me at any time.
January 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Woot!!!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
very good response. Were you able to take a deep breath?

January 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Glad you got everything worked out!...And yay for a Doula!

January 16th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Quote:
very good response. Were you able to take a deep breath?[/b]

haha yeah! I feel so much better about it all now. And I'm glad that I did something and wasn't just passive about it. Sometimes I feel bad for being a "problem" so it was nice to have my midwife act like I should have been upset about it.
January 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that is awesome!!!

January 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can I just say THANK YOU for doing that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search