Breech at 36w 3d! I need some positive affirmations

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Regular
Hi Ladies
I've only posted twice here since being pregnant...once to introduce myself and once to ask about toning (thanks, by the way). Anyhow, I had a beautiful, amazing natural childbirth with my son. It was the most amazing thing I have EVER done and I continue to be in awe of the experience and am eagerly awaiting the birth of my next child in a few weeks. So, here's the situation:
I went to the MW yesterday, she listened to the heartbeat, was a bit concerned because it had a dropped so she ordered a biophysical profile for today. She did a vaginal check and I was 2cm, she said she felt the head and we were all very excited about everything. I went in to get the biophysical profile today and the ultrasound tech was high up on my stomach and said, "there's the head". I said, "the baby is head up?" and she said, "yup". I held it together as long as I could but ended up flying off the u/s table and running to the bathroom in tears. I was heartbroken. My mom was there with me (who's a nurse) as was my husband. After collecting myself I returned and neither my mom nor the u/s tech could figure out what I was upset about. The BPP was an 8/8 which is great and I'm happy the baby is doing so well but I can't tell you how disappointed I am that the baby is breech. I talked to my m/w today and I have an version scheduled for 1/27 but it sounds like if that doesn't work it's a c-section for me. I'm so sad. Anyhow, she didn't mention anything to me about alternative methods to turn the baby but I have already scheduled an appt. with a chiropractor and an accupuncturist (sp?) for tomorrow and Tuesday. Does anyone have any other methods that they have found helpful in turning babies? My mom is either in denial or really can't understand why a c-section would bother me so much. I love her dearly but I want to say, "How about the next time you have major abdominal surgery I drop off a toddler and a newborn for you to take care of while you recover?" Ok, so a little bit of a vent, self-pity and a request for any successful turning methods...Thanks in advance.
January 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
the acupuncture (moxibustion done by an acupuncturist) would have been my suggestion The acupuncturist should send you home with some moxa sticks so your DH can do it for you at home. I think you are doing all you can. Best of luck, I know i would be as upset as you.

January 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I think the acupuntcure and the chiro are great ideas. I hope they work!

January 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Super Mommy
Have you been to spinningbabies.com?
I hope the acupuncture and chiro work! turn baby turn!!

January 15th, 2009, 06:51 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am 34 weeks and the same thing happened to me - the midwife said Head Down on Monday and that Wednesday, the u/s tech said Breech. I was stunned and devestated. I know I have more time than you, but it sounds like you're doing the right things. Here are some more suggestions I got from my doula:

*Be on your HANDS AND KNEES as much as possible
*Stay on Birth ball sitting forward when you're sitting - no more couch!
*Try putting a cold pack on top of your abdomen (where the head is) and a warm compress at the bottom where you want the baby to go

Stay positive and talk to your baby - visualize head down and the baby coming out that way as much as you can. Sounds like mumbo-jumbo, but hey, what can it hurt, right?

Good luck!

January 16th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
will no one even attempt delivering a breach baby? My midwife does them and its a stand alone birth center. I hope every thing works out and baby turns. Either way.. I hope you have a wonderful healthy baby to hold soon

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 16th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I think you are doing a great job already. Try to keep those positive thoughts going and definitely do the exercises on spinningbabies.com.

Good luck! I hope your baby turns soon!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 16th, 2009, 09:03 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Talk to the baby. Have DH talk to the baby with his mouth near your pubic bone and ask the baby to turn. I know it sounds hokeym, but it has been known to work.

I have a history of persistent breech. One c-section and two external versions follwed by VBAC. My fourth turne don her own! I had a chiro, and the things from spinningbabies.com. This site has a lot of good ideas too. I did most of them last time.

If I could get baby to turn at 37 weeks with my history, there is a chance you can do it too!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Funny you posted.. I am in the same exact boat as you! I have known I am breech since week 32. I have been seeing a chiropractor and accupuncturist and I lay on an ironing board 3x a day for 20 min a piece while doing light and music acitivity and will continue to until my scheduled section date of Feb. 10th. I had to really push for section date at 40W as they will try to entice you to do it earlier.. but, I wanted to give my LO a chance to flip. I don't listen to statistics and just stay positive that seeing the chiropractor and accupuncturist and all my other self help techniques will in fact work. I did not choose the version b/c of the risks associated with it. GOOD LUCK AND I WILL CROSS MY FINGERS YOUR LO WILL FLIP!!!

January 16th, 2009, 10:42 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I find that the risks associated with the external version are no worse than the risks associated with a c-section. Especially considering the risk for a future pregnancy following the primary c-section.

I wanted to add that Evie turned her self after I was in a bath, so doing the acrobatics and then taking a pretty hot bath, not overly hot of course were what seemed to work.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 16th, 2009, 11:39 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
*Be on your HANDS AND KNEES as much as possible
*Stay on Birth ball sitting forward when you're sitting - no more couch!
*Try putting a cold pack on top of your abdomen (where the head is) and a warm compress at the bottom where you want the baby to go[/b]
I've heard that hands and knees really does help...My MW was saying the other day that being in a tub of warm water on your hands and knees so your belly is submerged can help too. the water helps support the weight of your belly...
Has your Dr/MW recommended the "Breech Version" (where they try to manually turn the baby)? It is said to be 60-70% successful...better than a cesarean, right?

January 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Regular
Thanks Ladies! I went to the chiropractor today it was VERY empowering. She was amazing. She was very thorough and has had all of her babies at home, provided me with some additional contacts and was generally very affirming and encouraging about my desire to avoid a c-section and continue with my plans to have a peaceful NCB. She gave me a lot of confidence to assert myself with the obgyn practice (to which my midwife belongs). She suggested the cold packs on top of the belly, talking to the baby, squats to open the pelvic floor and some exercises. She also said she thought the baby still had a lot of time and space to move. When she felt the baby she said she couldn't even tell head from butt so that also made me a feel a bit better...a small glimmer of hope that baby has already flipped. I go back to her on Sunday, acupuncturist on Tuesday and MW on Wednesday for a U/S and vaginal check. Thursday I'm treating myself to a prenatal massage! Should be a baby-filled week! Thanks to everyone for all your advice and encouragement. I'll let you know when baby flips! For anyone else who may be in this boat, I have also found my self-hypnosis program (hypbirth) very helpful at keeping me relaxed. This may be something to consider. I truly believe that my commitment to hypbirth with my last baby played a HUGE role in my last NCB.
January 16th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I am soooo glad that you had such a good appointment today. I love your attitude! Definitely update us when your baby flips. I believe it will!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 17th, 2009, 05:24 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Thanks for the update! Good luck next week, KUP!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search