question for you midwife ladies

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
have you talked to your midwives on what they do if you go over 42 weeks?

I asked my midwife as it wasn't in my book she gave me last time. I worry about these things since Nichole was over 42 weeks with no sign of budgin (little turkey!). Once you hit 41 weeks, you are given an NST an diognostic ultrasound to determine fluid level and placental health kinda stuff. You get it again at 42 weeks. That is what my book said. So I asked her today and she said that they use Cytotec or is it cervidil..eels now I don't remember. Never heard of a midwife using that before, but hey its better then pitocin!!! lol She said there was a huge study done on it last year that said you could take double the normal does orally (not inserted in teh cervix like they normally do in hospitals) and that usually puts woman into labor. I thought it was interested and was curious if any of you have heard about this.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Katy Moore's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I asked my midwife about that, and she said she had all sorts of natural methods that should help you go into labor. There's a tea that helps bring on contractions, or make them stronger. There's also a gel she uses (but she didn't explain about it, so I don't know the details.) And I think she mentioned the pill, was it originally made to be a heart medication? Plus she mentioned using a breast pump and other things that could help.

Check out my boutique! Baby Bottom Boutique

January 15th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I asked my midwife about that, and she said she had all sorts of natural methods that should help you go into labor. There's a tea that helps bring on contractions, or make them stronger. There's also a gel she uses (but she didn't explain about it, so I don't know the details.) And I think she mentioned the pill, was it originally made to be a heart medication? Plus she mentioned using a breast pump and other things that could help.[/b]
Yes. There are other ways than starting off with cytotec or cervidil. I'd be hesitant about that.

January 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard and read nothing but encouragement to stay far, far away from Cytotec. The manufacturer even warns against giving it to pregnant ladies. Please research this in depth!
January 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
definitely DO NOT take cytotec, bad bad stuff. Cervidil is better, but still, there are lots of other more natural labor inducers...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
there are like... 101 things you can do before cervidil, and cytotec- I'd NEVER touch that stuff, it can be very dangerous without constant (hospital) monitoring......

usually though- second (or more) babies go earlier then the frist- your body now "remembers" what labor is, and it usually starts closer to 40 weeks.

January 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
yay that was after all the other stuff if it didn't work. I tried ALL with Nichole except the castor oil and she was still almost 43 weeks gestation. Hopefully it won't matter but... its either let her do that (after the other stuff of course) or hospital birth. I have never heard of the oral way, just the vaginal way.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM
hopefully this baby will get the memo and not be too late, or some other things work this time.

Did you do accupuncture last time? That often does it when other things don't.

January 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't. I was on medicaid with her.. and well medicaid means no money! lol Doubt I could afford it this time either even though we have more then last time lol
but if you know some students that need pratice! lol nah hopefully this child is better behaved!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM
google community accupuncture network... it's an affordable way to get accupuncture, and is just wonderful. Maybe there will be one by you!

January 16th, 2009, 08:16 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
also, acupuncture schools have low cost clinics with student practitioners. I think our clinic was $30/visit. You can also ask if the person does sliding scale.

January 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
oh- I always forget about schools! There is one nearly to me as well, and they are great- they offer more then just accupuncture too.

January 16th, 2009, 03:05 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
EEk, I would stay away from the cytotec. I know my insurance will not cover medications being used 'off label' so no cytotec for me.

I don't know enough about cervidil, except that it can cause over stimulation of the uterus, which can be stressful on teh baby or increase the risk of uterine rupture. For me this means I won't use it since i have had a previous c-section.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I wonder about that too, I have an appt w/ my midwife Monday and I need to sit down and write a list of questions for her. At one of my first appts with her, the lady before me was getting this bottle of pills from her to help bring on labor (I was being nosey and listened in lol). But I have no idea what it was!

I got cytotec with my previous pregnancy (hospital birth) and I think I may be the only person in the world who thought it was great lol! But I think anything other than pitocin is great! It put me into labor and took me from zero cm dilated to 6 quickly and with not too much pain at all! I was really hoping it would keep working by I froze at 6cm and ended up on pitocin . I'm doubting it's something a birthing center would use though, I would think they would stick with more natural things.

Facebook
January 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most people who use Cytotec have a just fine experience.

The only problem is it has an unusually high instance of uterine rupture, and death of mom or baby. They can't turn it off or down, and those intense contractions have been known to last up to 20 hours after the birth. The FDA has issued warnings against using it for pregnant women because it is unnecessarily dangerous.

January 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I asked the midwife yesterday. She said at 40 weeks they sweep your membranes and check your cervix, 41 weeks they sweep your membranes, do an exam, then do a NST and schedule an induction for 42 weeks at the hospital (hoping you will not need it). At 41.5 weeks they do an ultrasound. i think she said another NST, and suggest castor oil. At 42 weeks you are transferred to the hospital for pitocin and a midwife & nurse will accompany you to the hospital for your delivery and deliver your baby (as long as she is able to, like no cesarean, etc). They said they do cervadil, but if you do it, you are transferred to the hospital. They are pretty protocolled with everything there and have been in business for over 30 years I think. She also said they will start to suggest other things to do at 40-41 weeks like acupuncture, EPO, sex, etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search