Cervidl or Castor oil

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2009, 06:50 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I'm starting to wonder what I should go for tomorrow. I spent the day rehydrating and resting so I'm ready for the next round tomorrow. I guess it's up to me to decide what to do next. I can take castor oil again and just skip the cervidil or I can go in to the BC and see how cervidil works for me. Neither one is riskier than the other. One has more unpleasant side effects. At 5cm, I'm going on the assumption that one of them is going to do the trick! DTD is out, DH is too freaked out knowing how far dilated I am. Should have kept my mouth shut!! Part of me likes the idea of already being at the BC since my history is fast labor (3-5 hours) and I'm already further dilated than I've ever been going into labor. I value your opinions so please let me know what you guys think!

THANKS!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

January 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
hmmm.. tough choice... try going for a FAST paced walk tonight before bed, my midwife had me do a "sumo" walk, where you walk with your legs wide apart as fast as you can. Helps bring the baby down and as far dilated as you are, it could do the trick

what about "other" methods of sex (orgasm, nipple stim.)??

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Kelli, especially about a good O!

Also lunges, or climbing stairs 2 at a time can do wonders. I think if that baby will drop just a smidge more you'll be there!

I personally would do castor oil before cervidil, but it really is up to you.

January 15th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I would love to just DTD and have the baby. I told Erik how far dilated I am and now that's off the table.

I'll try the stairs and a long walk. Although it's like 20 degrees here so maybe just the stairs!

January 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Brrr! Walk inside instead. Good luck!

January 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
How far effaced are you? I thought the cervadil was just meant to soften the cervix? So if you are 5 cm and the walking doesn't work, I would try the castor oil again. Good luck!

January 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
The BC is part of a research study to show that cervidil is a good option for post dates induction. They are also trying to show that it is a good option for out of hospital use. It is generally used for pre-term induction to help ripen the cervix. What they have found is that if you are all ready "ripe" then it is effective to bring on labor within 24 hours.

My hesitation to take Castor oil again is just that it gave me the worst cramps. I don't want to add that into labor. Of course, cervidil may bring on pretty strong contractions. I just don't know. I know that if I don't have the baby this weekend, I'm facing pitocin and a hospital delivery. Which means my baby will be treated like the property of the hospital until I get to leave. I just can't stand going through that!

We are talking it over. I'll run it all past the MWs in the morning. I will definitely keep you posted! SillyP is my SS and I have her info in my "hospital" bag. Hope to be posting baby pics next time!!

January 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Good luck with whatever you choose!

January 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm not sure which to choose but I wish you luck. I have a feeling this baby will be here by the end of the day tomorrow. I can't wait to see the next update!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search