I find this interesting

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...429264&st=0

I am waiting to see how it pans out. I know there are MANY women who won't take cold medicines or even tylenol while pregnant because they see it as too risky. Yet, at the end of the 10 months, after enduring illness and discomfort for months, they choose to have an epidural, and I just don't understand.

I have taken tylenol already this pregnancy. I was sick with a bad cold and could not sleep because of the pressure from teh sinus headache, I was miserable and cranky. So I took one tylenol to help get me over the edge, I think I was sick for 4 days before I finally caved. If I didn't have to work and could have slept more during the day I would not even have had the tylenol.I do try to avoid most meds though and tylenol is baout the only thing I will take without a prescription. I take synthroid daily, but if I didn't the risks would be serious.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 16th, 2009, 07:09 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
That was part of my reason for choosing a NCB. Even when not pg I try to avoid medications unless necessary, so I REALLY don't take stuff during pg. So when I read up on the risks of epidurals, I decided it was yet another drug I didn't need to introduce my baby to. But I think that many women feel that once the baby is "done" there is no need to worry about it anymore. I still wouldn't necessarily give Tanith just anything, so I decided I didn't need to start with the epi. Just my thought process though.

January 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
My thought process is much like yours.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 17th, 2009, 03:38 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i suffered from very frequent migraines the first 15 weeks of the pregnancy, about 3-5 a week. I took tylenol ONCE! First off, tylenol does POOP for your migraines anyways I am in the no medicine unless extremely necessary category. I also have been having bad back pain and sciatica, i just deal with it. 9 months (10?) is not the end of the world, I can get thru it. I use a heating pad for 15 mins at night, i get massages, i exercise and stretch. It is not fun to have pain, but i'd rather have some discomfort than take medication, especially in the first trimester. Most of the first 13 or 14 weeks I had insane insomnia too, and nights on end i would just lay there wide awake for hours. I did not take anything, i would nap at work if i had to, and i went to bed a little earlier and just learned to live with it.

I am also very particular about the food i eat as well. I am a bit surprised at the soda habits of some of the girls in my DDC, because i think soda is probably one of the worst products you can drink (diet soda even worse!), HOWEVER, saying that, i will probably have a couple sips of coke before my big ultrasound on Monday Even with my nausea i was drinking organic, all natural ginger spritzers! LOL.

I posted in the chat the other night that a girl in my DDC sent me an email worried about my vegetarian diet and what i was doing to my baby (OMFG!) and i sit here and read about their awful eating habits. A large number of them eat fast food on a daily basis! It's ironic, eh? What you put in your body during pregnancy and the rest of your life is so important to your health, whether it is food or medication. You truly are what you eat. I am not saying everyone should run out and be vegetarian but just to be conscious of what they are eating-- highly processed and refined foods, sugars, HFCS, aspartame, antibiotics and hormones in their milk and meat, saturated and trans fat, etc.

Then, it comes back to NCB and reducing the risks to you and your baby by minimizing unecessary interventions and drugs.

Meghan-- you are good at getting me going on a rant

January 17th, 2009, 06:07 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I have to admit my eating habits are not what they should be. I am trying to get better foods and am slowly changing them. I am dieting right now to try and lose some weight. I have cut out most processed white flour and sugar, and fast food only maybe once every couple of weeks. I am also looking into alternative flours so I can make my own much healthier pastas and breads. I was in a really bad fast food rut for awhile I sometimes wonder if it might have had something to do with my m/c, all those nasty chemicals and fats. But I feel better and I am down almost 12 lbs, so it's a start!

January 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Good job, Pixiequeen!!!!

A huge thing I am big on with my patients, especially those TTC is to stay FAR AWAY from milk and meat with hormones and antibiotics. You are making some really positive changes that will help you in the long run. It is really sad to learn how bad most of the food on the shelves of the market are. I eat a lot of whole grains, which are cheap and healthy-- brown rice, quinoa, millet, etc. If you have never had quinoa, you should find some and eat it! it is a grain that is kinda nutty in flavor and high in protein and iron! I really recommend people make small changes at first, like you have, and once you see the weight loss and the overall wellbeing benefits you get from it, you will make more and more changes. Congrats on the weight loss too!!!!!

January 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Good job, Pixiequeen!!!!

A huge thing I am big on with my patients, especially those TTC is to stay FAR AWAY from milk and meat with hormones and antibiotics. You are making some really positive changes that will help you in the long run. It is really sad to learn how bad most of the food on the shelves of the market are. I eat a lot of whole grains, which are cheap and healthy-- brown rice, quinoa, millet, etc. If you have never had quinoa, you should find some and eat it! it is a grain that is kinda nutty in flavor and high in protein and iron! I really recommend people make small changes at first, like you have, and once you see the weight loss and the overall wellbeing benefits you get from it, you will make more and more changes. Congrats on the weight loss too!!!!![/b]

I'm a big fan of whole wheat couscous...which I think is similar...anyways. I was't sure if I'd like it becuse I think whole wheat pasta is disgusting...but it has such a good flavor! Def another to at least give a try.
January 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
personally I dont take any drugs unless absolutely necessary (meaning I would have to be almost dead LOL), just going through my second flu this pregnancy and it is not fun, because it usually goes down to my chest, but surviving.
We too try to eat healthy, most of our food is organic, even though I have to say I am craving weird stuff sometimes when pregnant LOL.

January 19th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It looks like a bunch of women dont take anything while pregnant. I think I took the occasional tylenol. My OB, that I had at the very very beginning before finding a midwife, told me that if I wanted to continue to take Lortab (hydrocodone/acetamenophen) for my herniated discs in my back then I could.... No thanks lady, I knew that I shouldnt take it when I was pregnant and I got pregnant anyway so I will live with it until the baby comes! I was also on Topamax for migraines (migraines that had me in the hospital for days) and I had to quit taking that at least 1 month before TTC. So I know allll about migraines and back pain.

Anyways Im pleasantly surprised with the results of the poll.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I am not surprised by the poll at all. What I find interesting is the same women who won't take cold meds or even tylenol WILL get an epidural.

Sail Back to Me
January 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
momofemnry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i don't do meds at all when pregnant or nursing. When nursing DS I fell and dislocated my elbow and refuse all mads and this pregnancy I just sprained my ankle and also refused meds. I thought I would die with the dislocated elbow I cried for weeks. Talk about pain but I got through it.
January 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
I took I think 2 or 3 doses of Robitussin DM because my DR said that it was better than coughing until my chest hurt and I was having contractions....I don't think I have even taken Tylenol...I try to avoid non prescription med if I can help it....now I have a bladder infection so I have antibiotics

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

January 19th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
well I think the misonception is that many sites say that epidurals do not go to baby, I mean its in your spine right? Not your blood. They just don't get it, and some that do.. ignore it because they don't want to hear it

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 21st, 2009, 06:28 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would take natural herbal medication (oriental medicine)---didn't know which category that fit in though. I had the flu, stomach virus and a UTI (yep only 13 weeks preggo LOL) so far. I didn't take anything for the flu or virus, but I did take antibiotic for the UTI after a week of cranberry pills and tons of water and every other natural treatment I could do in Thailand---but then I got a fever of 101 and since 102 its VERY dangerous for baby I did take tylenol (category B drug), pyridium (numbs the bladder and category B) and the antibiotics (Keflex-category B) at that point (but I had been peeing blood for about a day at that point---yep I'm a crappy patient for being a nurse LOL). But I made sure to get ONLY safe category drugs for being pregnant. The temp is the thing that worries me...if I ever hit 101 I would be taking tylenol because its safer then the fever. But it take a bit for me to take anything. Now my diet---well that seems to be craptastic when I am in the states, but since I will be out of the country for most of this pregnancy I'm really good. Its actually hard to eat that bad in other countries (well NON-western ones at least). They don't have all the processed food we do in the states. (well I can find a McDonalds and KFC anywhere). I'm actually craving fruits and veggies which is NOT my norm...I just try to listen to what my body is telling me it wants. And besides skittles it seem to want healthy food!
January 21st, 2009, 06:51 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
With Bryson I never so much as took a tylenol or any kind of drug, whether it was OTC or not. We try to eat mostly organic foods and never white breads. Our cheeses and milks (soy for me and DH and cow for Bryson) are organic and hormone free and we are vegetarians. I think we eat pretty healthy but there is always room for improvement.

This pregnancy wasn't the smoothest at first. I was on an antibiotic when I found out I was pregnant for mastitis and then got a bacterial infection that I couldn't get rid of no matter how many natural remedies I tried so I had to take another antibiotic. Then I got a yeast infection and had to use Monistat for 7 days. I hated all of it! I still worry about whether those first two antibiotics have hurt the baby. They were supposedly "safe" but what do we really know?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
if you have an infection you need an antibiotic, but all the superfluous stuff people take is really uneccesary.

I do not think I posted this in this thread, but someone in my DDC posted that their OB gave them Flonase. I was on that prior to TTC and it specifically said ON THE BOTTLE (not just on the insert!) to NOT take if you are pregnant OR EVEN TRYING TO GET PREGNANT!!! I was shocked when I saw that and threw it out the day i decided to TTC! I said something to the woman in my DDC and she was like, well my OB gave it to me. SO????? SO YOUR RESEARCH! I guess it is the blind trust that people have that really irks me the most. Am I the only person who researches what I am given?

I did get a flu shot right before I found out I was pregnant (with my job, i really find it necessary although I really do not like it) and i got worried sick over it, however, it was so early in (4 weeks tops?) that I think things should be fine, as it takes a few weeks for the baby to fully rely on your blood, i think closer to 6 weeks? I forget, and I should know

I have a patient now who is 12 weeks pregnant and hooked on oxycotin it is horribly sad. I really worry for her and her baby

January 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I do not think I posted this in this thread, but someone in my DDC posted that their OB gave them Flonase. I was on that prior to TTC and it specifically said ON THE BOTTLE (not just on the insert!) to NOT take if you are pregnant OR EVEN TRYING TO GET PREGNANT!!! I was shocked when I saw that and threw it out the day i decided to TTC! I said something to the woman in my DDC and she was like, well my OB gave it to me. SO????? SO YOUR RESEARCH! I guess it is the blind trust that people have that really irks me the most. Am I the only person who researches what I am given?[/b]
I think the manufacturers have to put those warnings on there for liability reasons, then leave it up for the doctor to prescribe as they deem necessary. It's hard to tell with meds too because so many fall into the category of never even been tested (I think that's class C??) so we don't even know if they have an adverse effect or not. I also like to research what I've been given and understand physiologically why the warnings are there. I was given a sample for a medication recently, and when I read the warnings online, it was really scary!

I'm kind of the opposite.. I took tylenol during the pregnancy on occasion, and allergy medication once when I couldn't sleep, but I was dead-set against using pain relief during labor. (I ended up getting some in the end because of the way my labor went, but it's not something I would want to do again). The effects from the meds (especially the IV meds) have to be way worse than any little bit of tylenol, kwim?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search