Hypnobabies

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm mildly curious about using hypnobabies and have a few questions.

The clinic I'm going to doesn't have any midwives. It's the only clinic that I can get to by bus, so I can't change clinics just to get a midwife. Also, I don't know who will be on call to deliver, and it's very likely that I won't even have met the doctor (the clinic wants consistency of care and doesn't want patients switching doctors with every visit in an attempt to meet them all). I found this on the hypnobabies website:
Quote:
please make certain that the labor assistants you have chosen to attend your birthing are fully supportive and knowledgeable about your choice for a natural, comfortable birth using hypnosis. They may need a little education, which is excellent, but anyone who is inflexible and will not work with you to learn your Hypnobabies words, cues and techniques is *not* a good choice.[/b]
I'm wondering, with the type of clinic I'm at, is hypnobabies even something that would be plausible to do? We're using the same hospital as we did with our son, and the nurses there are fantastic. For example, my water broke when I was only 1cm and my contractions were there, but not regular. The doctor wanted to start me on pitocin right away, but the nurses let me wait to see if labor would start naturally.

The other thing is that I don't think I'll have time to attend a class. My husband is in school and working full time and I have a toddler to take care of. I know that there is a home study kit, but is it as effective as going to an actual class? Is it worth the price?
January 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM
My very very good friend just gave birth last night and used hypnobabies...She had the support of 2 doulas, a midwife and a nurse and her birth was at a birthing center/women's clinic. It went beautifully and she was very at peace with everything she was experiencing. After being present for hers, I am now thinking of using it for my own birth (Due april 8th). She did a home study and didn't attend any classes. Her doulas came to her house prior to the birth to meet with her and her husband, and that's about it. If you hire a doula, I guess it wouldn't matter which doctor is on call because the doula would support you the entire time. I'm sure you can still use the method without doulas or midwives though.
January 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am doing the self study and love it!

January 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
noworries
I gave birth in a hospital with an OBGYN (no midwives or doulas) and used hypnobirthing. It is a very effective way to achieve NCB and I think it would be great for you to use. As long as your husband is supportive of it, it doesn't really matter what the doc or nurses have to say.
January 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Veteran
I used HypBirth which is similar to Hypnobabies; it was a great program and I'd recommend it no matter where you are planning on giving birth!

I'm Stayin Home and Lovin It!

My Pregnancy VLOG:
http://www.youtube.com/JoyeuseSteuer

January 23rd, 2009, 07:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the replies!

I'm leaning toward it, but am still not sure. I know that a big part of natural childbirth is trusting your body and I don't know if that's something I can do! Pregnancy and the postpartum period are both so rough on me, it sometimes feels like my body wasn't really meant to do this. Plus, I had an epidural last time before things really progressed much (I was getting pitocin, and there was no way I was going to try pitocin without an epidural), so I don't even know how I would handle active labor, since I've never done it without an epidural.
January 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
THe thing with OBs is they are not labor support, they are catchers. They don't stay in the room while you labor, they just come in to harass you every once in a while.

It is the people who will be with you during labor that matter. If your husband is on board and learns it with you, that is the important part. If he won't be able to be there for you emotionally, then you will want to find someone who can do that, either a doula a friend or relative.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
noworries
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

I'm leaning toward it, but am still not sure. I know that a big part of natural childbirth is trusting your body and I don't know if that's something I can do! Pregnancy and the postpartum period are both so rough on me, it sometimes feels like my body wasn't really meant to do this. Plus, I had an epidural last time before things really progressed much (I was getting pitocin, and there was no way I was going to try pitocin without an epidural), so I don't even know how I would handle active labor, since I've never done it without an epidural.[/b]
I didn't know how I would handle active labor either since Eva was my first baby. But, if you really believe in yourself and prepare (this is really important and is what hypnobabies would help you to do), you can totally do it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search