Silly question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2009, 03:04 PM
estherm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i am new here, so please don't mind my silly questions

My last labor was quick and definately not painless
I stayed at home until I was 8 cm ( I didn't know, I was worried I would be sent home While at the hospital I used the laughing gas ( i am not sure of the actually name ) and I had to have a local anestetic for my episiotomy.

i am wondering how much of a difference those two things made? With doing it all natural this time be much "worse" or did I basically do it naturally last time??

I am hoping you can give me confidence to do it NCB this time

i will hopefully be at home with a birth pool ( if we have time to fill it. ) and a supportive midwife. Maybe the pool will take the place of the aids ( gas and local anestetic ) that I had last time?...

Please don't mind my ramble I am not very good at writing

Esther

Thank you Jaidensmum!

January 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I don't know much about how the gas works, it's rare for that to be used here. But I will tell you the water makes a BIG difference and definitely helps with the pain. the water will also help your skin be more elastic and less likely to tear. If you were 8cm before you got anything last time, you'll probably be able to do it this time. you were almost there and I think the gas probably just made you not care about the pain more than actually lessening it... but not sure about that.

You can DEFINITELY do it!!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
also- without an episiotomy, even if you have a tear (they are generally smaller and heal faster) you'll have a much easier healing process after the birth!

And IMO- if you can get to 8 at home w/out meds you can totally do this! and as Kelli said- the water will make a world of difference.

January 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to the above! I dont' have any experience with the laughing gas or anesthetic, but I felt the water made a difference in the pain. I tore with my first, and didn't tear at all with my second, even though the pushing phase was much faster. From what you described of your last experience, I think you'll have no problem doing it all natural this time around!

Expecting baby #4!

January 20th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had the gass, but I was told that it only takes the edge off the pain of the contractions. To me that is what it was like getting in the water, it took the edge off and made me more relaxed. You will have no prob's doing it natural!
January 20th, 2009, 12:42 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you CAN totally do this all natural!! From what I was told the "gas" doesnt actually relieve the pain but it kind of distances you from it (makes you feel somewhere else almost)

January 20th, 2009, 06:12 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too have no idea about the gas, but if you made it to 8cm, so so can do it without the gas this time! Just do like you did last time, stay home as long as possible f you decide not to do it all at home, it is way more comfy there!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 20th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
You can definitely go all natural this time! You made it so far last time and I agree that the water is all you are going to need. Don't doubt yourself! You CAN do it!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search