my 28 week check-up

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I had my 28 week check up today with one of my midwives.
BP was great and gained 2 lbs in the last 4 weeks finally breaking even with the weight I lost in the beginning. I have had this nagging cough for a couple weeks and thought I pulled something last week while I was having a coughing fit one night. Turns out she beleives I have cracked my ribs the way I describe the pain and how its there anytime I move, breathe deep or cough, etc. I was sent home with an ace bandage and DH was given instructions on how to wrap me in a criss cross way around my breasts since we can't wrap straight around the ribs due to my belly. If it helps with the pain I've been experiencing, I'm all for it!
My fundal height was measuring slightly ahead, as it did with my firstborn son.
So she told me that after looking back over my history (DS was 9 lb 3 oz 2 weeks prior to EDD - via induction, DD was 7 lb 6 oz at 11 days past due) she wants to do an ultrasound at 37 weeks to get an estimate of the baby's size and if he was estimated to be 8 lbs or more at that time she would try to start naturally stimulating labor. She encouraged me to start the EPO at 34 weeks and to continue with my exercise routine. She said she doesn't want my delivery to be too hard on me if I'm expecting another biggin'.
This would take 2 weeks off the time I have left and I'm really starting to get anxious about everything we still have to buy and get done before baby Brennen arrives!
Anyway, a good appt. but a little surprising to me.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

January 20th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I think this little bugger I'm having will be another big one too. It'll be really interesting to see. I'm surprised she would put so much stock in the estimate given by an u/s but I don't think it would hurt at all to do natural things to get your body ready. You'll have to keep us updated! I'm sorry about your ribs. My DH broke some last time I was pregnant and it was just awful for him. I can't imagine how you're feeling since you're carrying a baby too. Poor thing! I'm glad it went well otherwise though.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 20th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Quote:
I'm surprised she would put so much stock in the estimate given by an u/s but I don't think it would hurt at all to do natural things to get your body ready. You'll have to keep us updated![/b]
I will definitely keep y'all updated. Like I said in my original post, I left the office surprised. I actually had on my list for today's appointment to ask how far they would let me go past due and what ways would they try to stimulate labor, but she beat me to it! I appreciate her not wanting me to have a hard labor if I deliver another big boy, but nonetheless, the ultrasound to estimate the baby's size and such was very unexpected. I think I'm going to schedule my next appointment with the other midwife to see what she has to say.
I go back in 3 weeks and then start going every 2.

January 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I do not know anyone who had an accurate estimate, usually they overestimate. I will be curious what the other midwife says Sorry about the ribs, ouch! I hope you get some relief.

January 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Im glad you had a good appointment! Let us know what the other midwife says. I would probably do the EPO anyway.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 21st, 2009, 05:55 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Quote:
I do not know anyone who had an accurate estimate, usually they overestimate. I will be curious what the other midwife says Sorry about the ribs, ouch! I hope you get some relief.[/b]
I believe I had an accurate estimate but I also know that is not common. They estimated my son was 9 lbs 5 oz at 40 weeks 2 days and he was born weighing 9 lbs 10 oz at 41 weeks 2 days.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 21st, 2009, 06:20 AM
I had a U/S the day before I was induced with my firstborn and they estimated him to tbe 10 lbs. He was born 3 days later at 9 lbs. 3 oz.
I think a lot can play into the accuracy of the estimate...the quality of the equipment, technician experience and skill, etc. I have heard many people with experiences where the U/S estimate was totally wrong as well though.
We'll see what ends up happening. I thought about it all last night....I just didn't expect that from my midwife. Drives me crazy how a pregnant brain can obsess over things! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search