Cole Harrison's birth and mom's love story

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I was really starting to wonder if I would have a baby. Being a mother 3 times over, I had never experienced going past my due date. I was due Jan. 2 and Cole was born Jan. 16th. Needless to say, I had tried everything to start labor. Id been having daily contractions from 12/20/08. Fairly strong and timeable but never going anywhere.

On Wednesday the 14th, I took Castor oil sick0022.gif I managed to keep it down and it did start giving me contractions around 2pm. I had very strong contractions until around 8pm. Then suddenly, they stopped. On Thursday, I went back to my MW for another stretch and sweep, I was at 5 cm. I had contractons that night from around 8pm until around 1am. Then, they stopped. I was beginning to doubt my ability to recognize labor. The final plan was to go to the birth center on Friday the 16th for Cervidil. I was scheduled to go in around 2:30pm. We packed up the car and had my mom here to watch the kids. Erik had to run out to the store for some last minute things. He left around 1:30, I started to have contractions. Of course, I'm thinking it's just more of the same and it doesn't mean a thing. Erik gets home and we are off. I jokingly say to him that I bet that once we get to the birth center I'll probably go into labor on my own. Something about having everything taken care of and not worrying about making it there "in time" helped me feel ready. The catch with cervidil is that you have to do 2 hours of EFM strapped to one of those machines. I wasn't looking forward to that. We arrive at the birth center and all of the MWs are wishing us luck. Regina, my MW for the day, checks me, still at 5cm. So she "tugs" at my cervix. She said it was easily stretched to 6cm. I'm instructed to go relax and see if stimulating it does anything. I couldn't relax. I needed to walk. My hips and back were starting to hurt and I couldn't keep still. The MW came to check on me and says "I think you're in labor. Women who aren't in labor don't rock back and forth, they lie down on the bed and sleep". My husband is at this point in full agreement. Keep in mind, I've had 1023982174098370937497 false alarms. At this point, I'm not going to believe it's labor until I'm holding my baby. She starts asking me about my previous births. She decides that I don't call labor "labor" until I'm in transition. I asked her if we were going to do Cervidil and she says I don't need it. To appease me, she sent Erik to get it and went down the hall to call my birth assistant and had her come in. I'm feeling a little frustrated. What happened to making sure I have this baby?! Wendy, my birth assistant gets there and starts trying to assess my emotional state. I said something that convinced her this was labor. So now, the MW, the birth assistant and my husband are all moving forward as if I'm in labor. I'm still pacing the room waiting for someone to start my labor. By this time it's around 5:30 and my back pain is getting a little worse. Regina, the MW, comes back and asks if I'd like her to fill the hot tub. I said sure, I mean even if I'm not in labor, who doesn't like a dip in the hot tub? Around 6pm, I insist on being checked for dilation because I know hot tubs can slow progress. I wasn't convinced I was in labor and if I was, I certainly didn't want it to shut down again. I was at 7-8cm. I figured, well, I'm not going home that dilated so I might as well hunker down and enjoy my stay at the birth center. The place is like a nice hotel! So Erik and I get changed and go for a dip. Immediately, I felt relief. I said so out loud. The 3 of them ask me if I believe I'm in labor yet. I said, I guess so. Truthfully, I still was expecting to get sent home at some point. We relaxed in the tub with candlelight for about an hour. It was very nice. The whole time, the MW and birth assistant just left us alone. It was a very different experience to just let my body talk to me and not have someone hovering over me through everything. A little before 7pm I sent Erik to get one of them because I needed help to get through the contractions (and no, I still wasn't convinced!). Wendy (BA) came in and helped me out of the tub and into some dry clothes. I go back to the bedroom and stand in front of the heater. Contractions start coming one on top of another. I sit on the ball, wrapped in a blanket and swaying back and forth. I start watching the clock. In previous births, when I felt like this, I had my babies within 45 minutes. I ask them all to remind me all the reasons why it's better to have natural, unmedicated birth. They start going through the list. All the benefits to the baby, the benefits to me. Honestly, at the time, I'm thinking "that's not enough, I need a really good one!". I decide to stand up at the end of the bed. It has a foot board that I can hold on to and rock side to side. I'm needing to "sink" into the contractions. Cole's head was still high when I had arrived at the BC so I'm thinking of everything I can do to help it move down. I asked if when I was fully dilated they would break my water to help baby out. The MW said no, that I would know when to push and we would just take it from there. Finally, it's unbearable, I need to switch positions again. I move to the side of the bed and kneel next to it with my hands on the mattress. It's around 7:40. The next contraction brought tears to my eyes. Oh, I forgot to give props to DH, he's standing next to me the whole time gently rubbing my back and encouraging me. This is a man who the last times, felt like he needed to wait across the room. He was amazing! So Erik is rubbing my back and I turned to him with tears in my eyes and he just keeps saying, he's almost here. At 7:50 my water breaks. My thought is "Yes, they can't send me home now!!" Totally nuts I know, I'm in hard labor and still in denial! I know that in a push or 2 I'll have this baby. I'm totally focused on my body waiting for the next contraction so I can push. It comes and I pushed. It wasn't as effective as I'd hoped. I'm worried baby's head is still way up high. Another contraction and another push. I hear "I can see him" I keep pushing. She tells me to go slow. It's burning but I don't want to tear so I let up. I start panting to try to stop my body from pushing. Another contraction, I don't care if I tear, I need him out! I hear "there is is forehead, eyebrows". I hear Erik say something, I reach down and feel baby's head, his whole head was right there! I'm in love! I push with everything I had in me. I could feel his shoulders. If I can get them out, I know his little wet body will follow. Suddenly, he's there in my arms! Wet, gooey, bluish but there! It's 7:56.

Everyone helps me into bed and the baby is lying on my stomach. My cord is short so I can't hold him high up. He's quiet so we rub him and he starts to turn pink. Then, the beautiful reassuring sound, he cries. I couldn't get over him. I'm still in shock that I'm holding my baby. Erik jokes, "do you believe it now?" Yes, I believe it, it is just so surreal! We waited about 30 minutes for the cord to stop pulsing. I cut the cord. I bring Cole up to try and nurse, he's not really interested but we nuzzled for awhile. My placenta wasn't coming out so it needed to be manually removed! Just what it sounds like. It had released from my uterus but go stuck at my cervix. Once that's out, I feel 1000 times better. All the pressure and pain were over. My body felt so good to have everything out. The MWs left us alone for about 2 hours to bond with our baby. I'm dying to know how big he is but they hold off on everything until we've had our time. We are looking at him deciding who he looks like. We make a few phone calls and then it's time for his exam. The weigh him, 10lbs 1oz. and 21 3/4inches. No wonder! The pain I felt during pushing was like nothing I remember. Amazingly, I didn't tear!

The whole experience of just laboring on instinct was amazing. I had always relied on people telling me how far along I was. Waiting to push until told. It was a little unsettling to just let my body do it's thing. There was a part of me that still doubted that I would know what to do. Instinctually, I knew how to position myself, what help I needed. Best of all, was when he was actually being born. Experiencing his birth, just him and I was incredible. I could feel his little body and letting my body help him out was the best part of the whole experience!

My emotions afterwards were more about how good it felt to have the baby out. My body had been so uncomfortable and to have it "empty" again felt so good. I'm glad he's not my first or I probably would have felt guilty about it. We were home around 1 am and went to bed. We spent the next few days getting to know each other and he is the love of my life! Already, I can't imagine life without him. He's beautiful and sweet. He's already changed our family. My kids love him and watching them become big sisters and brother again just makes me love each one of them a little more. I'm so blessed! Cole was worth every minute of the wait!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

January 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
What a great story!!! Amazing what the body can do, I love that you were able to trust your body and just go with it. I am impressed that you did not have a tear with a 10lb baby. I am so happy for you and that your lil guy is finally here

January 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
amazing!!!! Let's see some family pics!
January 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW!!!! What an incredible birth story. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way you told everything. I know you must have been so uncomfortable going so overdue, but as a woman TTC and aspiring doula, it was so wonderful to read that story.

10 pounds and no tears! Incredible!

Congratulations to your whole family for a beautiful addition.

Oh, and I adore his name.

January 21st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
That's a truly beautiful birth story! I'm so happy for you! You are so strong and I'm so proud! Congratulations on sweet Cole. He's such a beautiful baby!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM
noworries
What an amazing story...it brought tears to my eyes. Great job mama!
January 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what a lovely birth story, and yay to Erik for being so wonderful for you.

January 21st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations again. What a beautiful story and a handsome little baby! Way to go for getting you NCB despite being overdue and having a big baby!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 21st, 2009, 05:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
beautiful birth story!! so amazing that you didn't tear and that you had the birth you wanted after being so overdue! wtg!

January 21st, 2009, 09:44 PM
Super Mommy
what a wonderful birth story!!!!

January 21st, 2009, 09:59 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great job mama!!!!! May I ask what position were you in while pushing?

January 21st, 2009, 11:09 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a wonderful birth story and very well told! I think it's amazing that you were so far along into labor, nearing transition, and were in denial about it! Thank you for sharing your story!!!

Blessings to you and your newly increased family!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
January 22nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Such a great story to read! You have an amazing story and I think it's just awesome that you were able to stay so in tune with your body.
All that waiting was worth his beautiful little face! You rock!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

January 22nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
~Jackie
Beautiful story, very funny you didn't believe you were in labor, LOL!!
January 22nd, 2009, 06:02 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wonderful!!!

I am of course sittingher with tears in my eyes, darn hormones!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
Thanks ladies! It's funny because on the day of his birth, I felt a little disappointed. I didn't have that immediate high and bonding thing. It's only after a few days that I feel like that. At first, I was like "never again, next baby is medicated at the hospital" now, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Quote:

Great job mama!!!!! May I ask what position were you in while pushing?[/b]

I was still on my knees leaning on the bed. I couldn't have moved from there if my life depended on it!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

January 23rd, 2009, 03:01 AM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
What an amazing story! I, too, can't believe you were in denial for so long, but it seems like that's what helped you progress. Kudos for still going natural with him being so big and late, that's a lot to be proud of!
January 23rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
oh you have me sniffling over here!! great birth story

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search