Question from a lurker

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Hi ladies!
I had a question. Iím still in TTC stage but am planning on having a 100% natural birth. I want a homebirth but since we donít have access to midwives here (law is still too new for my town to have gained any), DH is adamant that we go somewhere with medical backup.
Question is, I had a hysteroscopy and lap done last week. My Re mentioned to DH that my cervix was small. Do you think this is a permanent kind of thing or just how it was then? Iím afraid it will keep me from being able to have a natural birth. I know my age and that my family has gigantic babies is already a negative.

Thanks!

January 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
noworries
Hi Sam-
Are there any birth centers around that you could give birth at? That might make your DH a little more comfortable but you would still have the support for your NCB. If not and your DH is really against a homebirth, do your research and try to find an OB who is pro NCB and has experience with them. Also, if you do give birth in a hospital, you might want to look into hiring a doula. If that is not possible, ask for a nurse who has experience with NCB.
Your age and the size of your baby have no bearing whether or not you can have the NCB that you want. Do your research, be prepared, and believe in yourself and you can totally do it.
I hope you stick around here. The ladies here are wonderful and have lots of great info as well as being a great support system.
January 23rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Thanks!
We do have a birthing center about 45 minutes away. That is my backup depending onwhat my OB says when I get the BFP and get released back to her. Sheís a DO instead of a MD so Iím hoping she is more accepting. I have found a couple of doulas in the area and hope to hire one when the time comes.
Iíve been lurking around here for a while. Iíll try to lurk less and post more. B)

January 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm having the same type of fears.. after my hysteroscopy my RE said my cervix is S shaped... and I thought that was odd, and in looking it up I've found nothing.

So I called and asked if I will still be able to deliver vaginally, and she sadi yes, there should be no problem. She did Reccomend that I have a hospital birth.. but um..... NO thank You!

anyhow- back to your question. The cervix, and the whole uterus, is an amazing thing. They can stretch so much, and then go right back to size! It really is miraculous. The size of your uterus or cervix at present says nothing contradictory to you having a safe and wonderful vaginal birth.

January 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the other ladies! You can totally do it. If you have any questions just ask away. Let us know what your DO says. Maybe you could go tour the birthing center to see how you and DH like it.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 24th, 2009, 08:57 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, and welcome! I just wanted to say that I had a wonderful, 100% natural birth with my daughter in a hospital...it's not impossible or even improbable. So if it comes down to your having to do it in a hospital, just know that you can have the birth you want even there. Good luck!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search