I'm coming out of lurkedom!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
Hello! My name is Melissa I am pregnant with baby #3! I had epidurals with both of my other pregnancies but have been doing a lot of research this time around on unmedicated births! I am in week 3 of the hypnobabies home study course and unfortunately I am not that into it. The course guide is very educational and I learned a lot but I don't think it is going to work for me . I have a very experienced doula lined up and I am going to decide whether or not I am switching from my OB to a midwife after my next appointment on February 2. I love my OB I just have a HUGE list of questions for him and we will see how that goes lol. Does anybody have any suggestions for a method that I could use other than hypnobabies or the bradley method? I was thinking of buying birthing from within. I need something that I can do from home.
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

January 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can you tell us what's not working with Hypnobabies?
January 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sure, sorry I should have done that before! I like the whole idea of it and I know it works for women. I am not doubting it AT ALL, I just wanted to say that lol. I have a hard time with visualization and relaxation. I listen to the scripts every day like I am supposed to and I LOVE the Joyful Pregnancy Affirmations but the other scripts make me fall asleep (which I guess is okay) but I don't really feel like I am learning that much. Even when I practice the finger drop technique I can't bring myself into hypnosis. I guess I can only do it while listening to the scripts?! I dont know! I just don't feel confident enough with it I guess. Did that make ANY sense? lol...

January 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
well I had 4 natural births, no drugs, no interventions, and I have never used hypnobabies, I took a natural childbirths classes here and it was great. It wasnt Bradley method. and I had doula too,and she was awesome!!!
It was easiest with my last 2 births though, I had them both at home so I am sure that is why. I was so relaxed!!

January 23rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Welcome!

I am debating doing a hypnobabies home study or real life class. You never know, it may seem silly now, but in the heat of the moment, it may come in handy

January 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didnt really like Birthing from Within. Dont get me wrong it was a good book but it was just a little out there for me. It may work for you though. I would give it a try. I didnt use anything with my last NCB but I wish I would have had a doula. Support IMO is the most important. Welcome!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 23rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just started Hypnobabies myself and have always been skeptical of the whole idea that breathing and hypnosis could "take pain away". But, I'm the same as you - I had an epi with my daughter's birth and have done a lot of reading and researching since and would like to go all natural this time!

First off, I think you should know that falling asleep during the scripts is totally normal and doesn't mean that you aren't getting anything out of it. It just means you're tired! LOL! I have fallen asleep during almost all of my scripts (including the "Turn, Baby - Breech MP3" that I downloaded, but my baby did turn!) I think that listening to them more often will help - and hey, I'm thinking that if I can fall asleep during labor and be comfortable, I'm all for it! So, I'd not give up quite yet on Hypnobabies - you never know what will work for you in labor.

Now, on to the rest. I think by having a doula you are 100% on the right track. You want to have someone who you trust and who knows your intentions to be with you during your labor. I think having a support person is the #1 way to achieve your goal....even more important than the dr./hospital. But, I can say that it has eased my mind a ton to be giving birth in a place where they are committed to natural childbirth. So, choosing your place of birth and dr./midwife is second on my list of importance.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

January 24th, 2009, 05:40 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hypnosis isn't for everyone, that is for sure.

You can educate yourself really well by reading, but you will need a variety of books to do so, and your DH will need to do a lott of reading also, especially if you're not getting a doula.

I'd sugguest Birthing from Within (this is a hit or miss on people likeing it often)
Thinking woman's Guide
Ina May's Guide
Active Birth
Natural Birth the Bradley Way
Lamaze 6 care practices of normal birth (this is a decent length article)

I think that would give you a decent background and knowledge, but nothing makes up for classes.

January 24th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much ladies! I have actually done a lot of reading because I am in the middle of doula certification and childbirth educator certification. I also watched The Business of Being Born 3 times already and I love it! I am definately going to get a doula, like I said I found a very experienced woman who is in midwifery school and she is willing to only charge me $500 instead of $1000! Plus my family supports me 100%. DH watched The Business of Being Born and now understands exactly what I want! I believe in my body and I know I can do this! Unfortunately classes are not an option for me, I have 2 small children and a DH who works a lot (mostly at night). Do you think that I should just switch to a midwife or should I wait and see what my OB says? I really love my OB and he is not the typical OB that pushes pit and epis but I am not gauranteed that he will be at my birth (there are 3 other doctors).

January 24th, 2009, 07:20 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you have to follow your heart on this. Also- what do you know of the other doctors? Are they like him, or are they more interventive?

you doula will also be a good resource- she can help you think about it, specific to your area, and probably having interacted with the doctors.

January 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes the doula has been very helpful with this already. I think I am going to wait and talk to my OB and see what he says. I will definately go with my heart though.

Thank you so much!

January 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

I just wanted to add that you can have NCB without any type of training or classes. I went into the birth of my second daughter just intending to go with the flow. I just breathed through contractions and listened to my body. Having my first at a hospital and second at a birth center, I'd never birth at a hospital again unless I had to. The birth center was a much more supportive environment and I feel that's the main reason I achieved the NCB I wanted.

Expecting baby #4!

January 25th, 2009, 05:03 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Last time I used the ideas from Bradley and Birthing from Within. I never took a class, but was able to achieve NCB twice. For me the most important thing is having good support and someone to gently remind me I could do it. I taught DH about the emotional signposts of labor (Natural Birth the Bradley Way) and he was able to use that to help me.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 26th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Welcome to the NCB board! I think you're doing a great job already in trying out the Hypnobabies program and definitely in hiring such a great doula. If you do not feel confident in what you are learning from the Hypnobabies program then I would just read all you can get your hands on, especially natural birth stories. They are so inspirational to me and it really gives me a ton of confidence in my abilities as a woman. In the end all you really need is a great support system (which you are establishing now) and belief in yourself and your body. You can do this!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 26th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies!

January 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge already and I agree that you should follow your heart on this. I would say that I often hear that women fall asleep to Hypnobabies. And maybe even though you feel you're not able to get yourself into a hypnotic state, it may still be helping you to learn to relax which will only help in labor. Perhaps it will be helpful to you in early labor. You never know what will trigger your brain/thoughts in the moments.

I am very much a control freak and wonder too if I'll be able to use Hypnobabies to it's fullest potential. While I'm not sure if putting myself into hypnosis is possible, I do believe in using visualization as a relaxation technique. To me it's more about diverting your mind than emptying your mind.
January 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't learn one particular method for birthing naturally. The classes I attended focused on what the midwives thought worked best based on their experiences and they borrowed from several techniques. You seem to be doing lots of research so I think that you will find some answers this way to help you make the best choice for you.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search