Hi Everyone!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Everyone, My Name is Sam, DH is Travis, and we are expecting sometime in late may/early june.

DH and I are both interested in Natural Childbirth. I have just begun to read the book - Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way, and have signed-up for information on Bradley Method Classes. I have also started a daily exercise plan that includes walking on a treadmill, and will begin adding prenatal yoga to the workout (just received the video today! YAY!!)

My only hesitation is that since I live in rural Iowa, there are not a lot of options for hospitals, and there are no birthing centers that I know of with-in a 1 1/2 hour drive. Also, I am not up to switching Dr. at this point because of complications with my last pg. I think my Dr. would be open for natural birth, but I haven't spoke to him about my thoughts on the actual birth yet. I feel a little late getting into this.

Does anyone have any experience speaking with their Dr. about their birthing plan??, I am afraid that my plan will be agreed to but not followed when the time comes. For instance, I do not want the nurses or Dr. suggesting pain meds and I would really like to breastfeed after the birth as soon as possible - not have my baby taken away to be cleaned up. I really don't care how messy the baby is.

Also, do any of you have experience using the Bradley method or have taken one the Bradley method classes?

Any other suggestions for Natural Childbirth....I am just getting started researching this, so any advice would be welcomed!

Thanks!!!

January 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
It is never too late to research and prepare! Welcome! I have heard bad things about birth plans being followed. I would def do some research and then talk to your Dr. Usually by the way they respond to your questions you can gauge how well your plan will be followed. Also, make copies of your birth plan and take one with you to the hospital when you register and speak with a head nurse about it as well. You can also request a NCB friendly nurse when you actually go in. Hopefully they have one! And depending on the reactions to your birth plan and how well your pregnancy is going, the hour and a half drive to a birth center may be worth it. Good luck! And definitely check out the reading recommendations up top for inspiration and advice!

January 24th, 2009, 04:00 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Sam! I am glad you found us over here

A NCB is possible in a hospital. With Amanda I had one and didn't feel like I was pushed drugs at all. The hospital I go to is a "birthing center" too though. I found the Hypnobabies method so much more my style. You may want to read that one too and see what method sounds better.

I am so glad you are doing natural childbirth. There really is NOTHING like it. It is so empowering....it is something you will be proud of for the rest of your life.

Anyways.... I am glad you posted here too

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

January 24th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! I'm Jennifer (26) and DF are I are TTC our first. The ladies here are wonderful and full of such wonderful information. I can't wait to get to know you!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi
I had 2 natural births in hospital, I hired a doula first, then she recommended doctor, I became her patient, she was pro natural birth, even willing to do water birth (didnt do it at the end, but she was willing kwim?)
anyway, I had a birth plan which I discussed with the Dr. and she had no problem with anything, I asked for no IV, no monitors (only doppler), I asked for baby to be delivered to my chest, she asked me when she could clamp the cord, I asked for them not to offer pain medications (they did offer and my doula told right away to shut up LOL) I birthed in the tub, walked around, used balls, etc etc etc. I became an attraction LOL because nobody seems to go natural in hospitals these days, Dr. asked if she could bring in students so they can see woman birthing naturally ROFLOL, I asked in my birth plan not to bring students in, so she asked, and I told her one student could come as long as they have nothing to do with my labour LOL. I asked them not to put cream on baby's eyes when she was born, etc etc etc, and it was all followed very well, not perfect but close to it LOL

January 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for your warm welcomes, and Bobbie, It's nice to see a familiar face over here too!

I will def check out hypnobabies - I should be finished with the bradley method book soon. It probably is a good idea to read different methods then find what works out best personally.

It's also reasurring to hear about other who have had good experiences with natural childbirth in a hospital setting.

Can't wait to get to know all of you more!

January 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience speaking with their Dr. about their birthing plan??, I am afraid that my plan will be agreed to but not followed when the time comes. For instance, I do not want the nurses or Dr. suggesting pain meds and I would really like to breastfeed after the birth as soon as possible - not have my baby taken away to be cleaned up. I really don't care how messy the baby is.[/b]
I think you already know the hardest problem- being promised 1 thing, nad having something else altogether happen.

The best thing you can do for NCB in the hospital is have a good doula, and spend much of the earlier labor at home, not going in untill you are clearly active and having some of the emotional signposts of nearing transition.

(you'll learn so much more about laboring at home in bradley)

anyhow- welcome! A NCB is hard in the hospital, but with dedication and a lot of prep work, you can do it.

January 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Katy Moore's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's definitly not too late to switch doctors! My friend switched at 37 weeks. If your dr. isn't too into the birthing plan, I would ask about midwives in the area. I'm going to a midwife, but delivering at the hospital. She's been there a few years and she said they just let her do things her way and never intervene. It's like having a mini birthing center in the middle of the hospital. A doctor might be a little bit more eager to say that you need a c-section or something like that, so beware of that. They all make different judgement calls on what is "needed" to get the baby out healthy. Good luck!

Check out my boutique! Baby Bottom Boutique

January 25th, 2009, 08:56 PM
noworries
I had a successful NCB in a hospital. I never talked to my doctor about my wanting a natural childbirth until the last few weeks when she started asking me questions. I had a birthplan that I had her read (didn't want any reference to pain, didn't want to be offered drugs, etc, etc, etc) and she followed it to a T when the time came (as well as all the nurses). If you don't have a doula I would suggest that when you get to hospital you ask for a nurse who is experienced with NCB. The nurse that you have can really make a huge difference.
January 26th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Welcome Sam!! I'm so glad you've joined us here! I'm Cindy, one of the co-hosts here, mommy to Bryson who is 15 months old and expecting our second in late May. I had a NCB with my son in a hospital setting, although it was very difficult. I went to a big OB practice so I basically had whoever was on call during my labor. I ended up having 3 different OB's (one lady at first, one man I refuse to let back in my room and then the head of the OB department) all before I actually started pushing, at which time I had a resident and an intern. I did end up having pitocin, something I think I could have avoided all together if I'd been at a birthing center. I don't think anyone there read my birth plan so that was frustrating but I did have nurses that were supportive of my want for a NCB so that was nice at least.

So it can definitely be done. A lot depends on your doctor and your hospital's policies though so be sure to know both of those very well. I used Hypnobirthing with my first son and am again with this one but I've heard wonderful things about the Bradley method. I'm positive it'll give you the confidence you need. Don't doubt yourself. You can do this!!!!

Until you go into labor though, we are here for you. So if you need anything at all, just ask!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search