Low Lying Placenta Question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2009, 05:25 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Hey ladies.

I had my anatomy scan on Monday. The woman who did the ultrasound said everything looked good, but with the baby's position, she could not get a perfect view of the spine and that i will most likely get a call back. She said everything else, including the placenta looked fine.

I got a voice mail yesterday (gotta love leaving medical results on your voice mail on a Saturday ) from one of the midwives saying what I knew about the spine and she also said i had a low lying placenta. From the research I did on the internet, it said that MOST women (like 99% i think) will have their placenta move up as the baby and uterus grows. I am assuming it is not placenta previa, as the ultrasound woman said the placenta looked fine and marked it as posterior and that was not the word used on voice mail. I would assume if it was placenta previa, the woman doing the ultrasound would have not said a thing regarding the placenta.

My concern is the placenta affecting the chances of NCB. I had a dream last night that I had a c-section and was HYSTERICAL and they took the baby from me and i was all alone in the cold, dark hospital.

I know I am totally jumping to conclusions here. I am a little frustrated that I cannot talk to anyone about my results until the work week.

I have already scheduled the next ultrasound for 2/12. I guess what I am looking for is positive stories from women who had their placenta move, or lower lying placentas that did not interfere with a vaginal birth. And good vibes to my placenta

I know once I talk to a midwife, I will feel much better (hopefully) and I will ask about their protocol and how they handle vaginal births and low lying placentas. And also, how low lying is my placenta now and where it is now, would that interfere with a vaginal birth?

I guess I can always leave them a message today and hope for a call back from the on call midwife sooner than later.

January 25th, 2009, 08:07 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
placentas almost always move up and out of the way. I am sure yours will as well. A low lying placenta at the point is not uncommon.

You may want to wait to rescan till closer to 30 weeks though- to give it more time to move.

January 26th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks Cheryl.

I just got off the phone with one of the midwives, actually the HEAD midwife!! She said that looking at the results, it is NOT placenta previa, and it is not near the cervix or partially covering it. She said that I should not worry and that it almost always resolves itself. She did recommend, as you did, pushing the ultrasound later, so i moved it about 12 days later from the original one I had scheduled in February. I think the fact that they left the message on a Saturday with not much explaination really freaked me out. I felt 100000000 times better after talking to her.

January 26th, 2009, 06:30 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gosh darn those people for leaving a message when you can't call back to speak to anyone!!! That has happened to me before too. Do they not know what that does to our nerves???

I'm glad to hear what your midwife said and I'ms ure when you go in at your next scan everything will be fine. Try not to worry about it!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

January 26th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Whew!! I'm so glad you got to speak to the midwife to take some of the pressure off. I wanted to share that my SIL had this with her last child and the placenta moved in plenty of time and she was able to have a NCB too. I'm sure you'll be fine but that voicemail would have freaked me out a bit too. *HUGS*

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 26th, 2009, 07:59 AM
thanks ladies. When i go in for my next visit in three weeks i will probably make a comment about NOT leaving messages like that, especially ON A WEEKEND!!!!!!!

January 28th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I'm so glad you were able to talk to someone.

I had a partial previa during my last pregnancy. But, sure enough, it moved up on it's own. I went on to have a natural VBA2C. So, don't worry, there are lots of positive stories!

January 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
glad to hear it's nothing too serious!
January 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Meredith, after talking to your midwife, I hope you are not stressing too much about this. Seems like it has plenty of time to move up. Keep us posted.
January 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Im glad we got that smiley LOL!!

That voicemail would have freaked me out too. Oh and I had dreams like that all the time about c sections and them taking my baby from me. It scared the crap out of me. Almost to the point that Im kind of scared of getting pregnant because I dont want to have to go through that anxiety again....

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I'm so happy you don't have a previa. I'll ditto what everyone else has said about the placentas moving up. Yay for your midwife making you feel tons better!

Come visit my blog!
January 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldnt worry about it! I had it it slightly covering with ds#2 and they did a 31/32 weeks scan to see where it was and it had completely moved out of the way and I went on to have him naturally and vaginally!

January 29th, 2009, 04:08 AM
thanks everyone! I will update when i have my next ultrasound in 4 weeks.

February 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
bump with update in post 1

February 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
noworries
YAY! I am so glad that everything is looking good for your vaginal delivery. That must be a huge weight off your shoulders.
February 16th, 2009, 01:13 PM
It is!!!!!! I told her, "I cannot ever imagine why anyone would choose to be cut open, it is the last thing i could ever ever ever want" I feel soooo much better.

February 16th, 2009, 01:24 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that is woderful! I'm so glad you can have a vaginal birth!

February 16th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Meredith, Yep- it sounds like we're in the same boat on this... which makes me feel better (clearly its pretty common!). Its good to hear that there are plenty of others who've been through this and still not had c-sections! My extra ultrasound (to check) is supposed to be around 32 weeks so I'll be a bit anxious until then but I'm trying not to let it bother me. (not like I can do much to change it either way, right?).
hopefully we'll both have perfectly positioned placentas in a couple of months!!

Thank you CupcakeJamie for my beautiful siggy!

February 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I knew you would want to know the update! I am interested to see how the ultrasound goes next week, i know it is early, but i need to get it to check the spinal cord insertion. I cannot imagine there is an issue with that though, cause this baby kicks up a storm 24/7 The baby just did not really move well at the first anatomy scan.

February 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I'm glad to hear this too!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search