Hi :) Lurker coming out of the closet :)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Hi,

Joanne here. Pregnant with Gavin, due March 13th. Wife to Doug, mom to Logan & Shaun. Co-host of March DDC and member of the March 08 PR.

I'm super interested in a water birth and my midwife is all gunho for me to go for it and says I'm an ideal candidate. So we are planning on a hospital water birth My midwife says I can have some pain meds to help if I need them but I'm really going to try going without.

Quick History:

Logan's birth (2 years ago) ~ Vaginal and induced at 41 weeks. Staydol for pain management. They over dosed me on the Staydol and practically knocked me out. Awful.

Shaun's birth (a year ago this February) ~ Vaginal and induced at almost 40 weeks. Epidural that didn't work due to spinal surgery as a teenager.

So with Gavin's birth we're not going the epidural route as it didn't work and the Staydol scares me as I'm obviously a light weight when it comes to drugs and they effect me very hard and quickly.

Would love to hear from anyone who had a water birth.

Thanks for letting me share.

Joanne

January 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
noworries
That's awesome that you are allowed to birth in the water at the hospital (our hospitals around here don't allow it). So, I didn't have a water birth but I was able to labor in the water and there is a reason they call it the midwife's epidural. It really helps you to relax and therefore have much less pain.
What have you done so far to prepare for a NCB?
January 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Quote:
What have you done so far to prepare for a NCB?[/b]
Absolutely nothing I need help

January 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Joanne! Read, read and then read some more. Highly recommend Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Chilbirth. Such wonderful affirming NCB stories. And feel free to ask the girls here anything. There is a lot of knowledge, experience and support here.

Can't wait to hear about your waterbirth. I'm hoping for one too, whenever I can get pregnant that is.
January 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks Shauna
I'll look into that.
I have been reading up on water births etc...it's very empowering

January 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I absolutely LOVE waterbirth and HIGHLY recommend it. I had a water labor/land birth with my first and a waterbirth with my second. I totally say go for the waterbirth.

since the meds don't really work for you I would definitely start learning/practicing some pain coping techniques. You really can't tell what will work for you until you are in labor, but I would learn about as many techniques as possible to have in your 'arsenal" for labor.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 27th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
That's wonderful that you're going to do a water birth this time around! I just found out I'm pregnant with my 2nd and I'm gonna try for an all natural water birth as well

January 27th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I second reading up on natural childbirth. I read "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" and loved it, it had so much helpful information. I ended up having a waterbirth at a birth center last month, with my second, it was great! Even with back labor, it was painful, but bearable. I will do it again if we have another child.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
January 27th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Welcome! I second reading up on natural childbirth. I read "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" and loved it, it had so much helpful information. I ended up having a waterbirth at a birth center last month, with my second, it was great! Even with back labor, it was painful, but bearable. I will do it again if we have another child.[/b]
Congrats on your baby girl! And thank you for the info.

January 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats Joanne! Its Ashleigh from March PR forever ago... I wanted a waterbirth with Greyson but the hospital wouldnt let me... I did read a lot on NCB and Hypnobirthing-i loved that book and it make a huge difference for me. No real advice, just wanted to say congrats and I hope you get the natural water birth you are hoping for!!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
January 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Congrats Joanne! Its Ashleigh from March PR forever ago... I wanted a waterbirth with Greyson but the hospital wouldnt let me... I did read a lot on NCB and Hypnobirthing-i loved that book and it make a huge difference for me. No real advice, just wanted to say congrats and I hope you get the natural water birth you are hoping for!![/b]

Hi there I remember you

Thanks so much. I'm going to go to the library this weekend to see if they have them..

January 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome!

waterbirth is wonderful. Are you planning on taking a childbirth class? It can really help to teach you more then only books can.

January 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Quote:
welcome!

waterbirth is wonderful. Are you planning on taking a childbirth class? It can really help to teach you more then only books can.[/b]
Thanks

We took a childbirth class with Logan...it was wonderful.

January 31st, 2009, 10:42 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Oh you are sooo lucky that your hospital lets you have water births! Mine doesn't, but they do have a nice big tub that I plan on using.
Drugs affect me in the opposite way they effect you...they usually don't work at all! At least local anesthetics don't...My body metabolizes them as fast as you give it to me (makes dental work great fun ). So needless to say, I try and stay away from them as much as possible. I also just prefer to allow my body to go natural...but ANYWAY...I hope all goes well for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search