Water birth and enemas....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, so the birthing center I am using has wonderful tubs and you are able to give birth in them, if you want. BUT - the midwives have just decided that they are recommending that anyone who wants to give birth in the tub should give themselves an enema at home before coming in. They will get you out of the tub if you have a bowel movement while pushing. Not only is it difficult to move a pushing mother, but it's messy and nobody likes that.

I have never had an enema - and it's something I never really want to experience if I can help it.

So, should I do it or just not use the tub for birthing? How bad/uncomfortable is it?

January 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Veteran
hmmm, I've never had one so I can't help w/if it hurts or not, but can't you just use "Fleet" instead? I had to use it before surgery one time, and all it is is this little squirt bottle with fleet in it, and you squirt it up there, and try to hold it in as long as you can (which is probably not going to be more than a minute maybe two) and it cleans out your bowels...you will feel the urge to explode lol. But it's not painful.

January 27th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
umm... weird... I had a waterbirth and I know I pooped during pushing, they just fished it out with a little net...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
umm... weird... I had a waterbirth and I know I pooped during pushing, they just fished it out with a little net...[/b]
this is what my BC does also... I've never heard of making a mother move. I guess their concern is sterility... but this world isn't sterile, and a baby will be exposed to plenty of germs after birth, so it doesn't seem like it should be a huge issue.

January 27th, 2009, 08:48 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
I have never personally used an enema, but my mother has on MANY occasions (for surgeries and exams- she has some issues down 'there'). I asked her about it in case I have to have one before birth. She says it is not uncomfortable or painful at all, just gives you the intense NEED to poop basically. If you really want a water birth, I would say go for it! It isn't that bad.

On a side note, I also don't understand the need to move the mother.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

January 28th, 2009, 01:42 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Now I was told the concern isn't actually the baby--its the mother. The "new" way of thinking is that once baby is out the placenta still block the bath water from getting up into your open uterus.....so if the water was poopy (which I honestly think an enema would make worse because IF mom did still poop it would then be liquid/lose and hard to fish out, at least a harder poop blop is catch able!) any way the poopy water could/can get into the uterus and cause an infection....but to my knowledge this hasn't been properly studied/researched yet. Anyway you can ask you midwife to show you the research that made them change their policy (of course in a nice friendly non-confrontational way) I would LOVE to read it!
Don't many time moms get out post baby but pre-placenta birth---that would fix the problem better then an enema in my opinion (sounds nice in theory but I haven't given birth yet---is that even possible to move during that time BTDT moms? )
January 28th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is strange but all I know is I would have rather had the enema when I was in labor. I had to go so bad but couldnt and it was so insanely painful. Im going to ask for one next time. I guess you could always just say that you did give yourself an enema and really not do it....

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 28th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Now I was told the concern isn't actually the baby--its the mother. The "new" way of thinking is that once baby is out the placenta still block the bath water from getting up into your open uterus.....so if the water was poopy (which I honestly think an enema would make worse because IF mom did still poop it would then be liquid/lose and hard to fish out, at least a harder poop blop is catch able!) any way the poopy water could/can get into the uterus and cause an infection....but to my knowledge this hasn't been properly studied/researched yet. Anyway you can ask you midwife to show you the research that made them change their policy (of course in a nice friendly non-confrontational way) I would LOVE to read it!
Don't many time moms get out post baby but pre-placenta birth---that would fix the problem better then an enema in my opinion (sounds nice in theory but I haven't given birth yet---is that even possible to move during that time BTDT moms? )[/b]

with mine, they drained the water right after the baby was born. They normally have you get out to deliver the placenta, but mine came before they had time to get me out. But the tub was drained...

January 28th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Don't many time moms get out post baby but pre-placenta birth---that would fix the problem better then an enema in my opinion (sounds nice in theory but I haven't given birth yet---is that even possible to move during that time BTDT moms? )[/b]
most moms do want to move, and no, it isn't difficult for most, but for some it is, and those moms we let stay in the tub.

that is an interesting reasoning, i'm going to have to ask the m/ws I work with what they think....

January 28th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Quote:
with mine, they drained the water right after the baby was born. They normally have you get out to deliver the placenta, but mine came before they had time to get me out. But the tub was drained...[/b]
they drained it with you in it???? Wasn't that freezing?

January 28th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Quote:
with mine, they drained the water right after the baby was born. They normally have you get out to deliver the placenta, but mine came before they had time to get me out. But the tub was drained...[/b]
they drained it with you in it???? Wasn't that freezing?
[/b]
I thought it was kinda weird that they drained it, but they had heated towels they kept putting on me and the baby and at the time I was in the after-birth euphoria stage and didn't really notice. The room was really warm too, so no, I wasn't cold. And it was only a few minutes before the placenta was delivered and I stood up, showered and got out of the tub.

January 28th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I've never heard of this before but I'm going to ask my midwife about it at my appointment next week. Now I'm curious!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 28th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't want to move during pushing. My legs were numb from the position I was in, but I wouldn't have moved even if they told me to.

I find it weird they don't just fish the poop out. My birth center did that, although I never pooped while pushing. My body did the typical cleaning itself out in the early stages of labor, which many women experience. I can't say I would want an enema during labor.

January 28th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
mine fished the poop, and i delivered placenta in the water too, once everything was delivered, I got out of the pool.

January 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
hmmm, I've never had one so I can't help w/if it hurts or not, but can't you just use "Fleet" instead? I had to use it before surgery one time, and all it is is this little squirt bottle with fleet in it, and you squirt it up there, and try to hold it in as long as you can (which is probably not going to be more than a minute maybe two) and it cleans out your bowels...you will feel the urge to explode lol. But it's not painful.[/b]

Fleet is an enema! I have never used one during labor, but I sort of wish I had during the last one. I think it would have helped move things along. I think if I am backed up this time I will use one before going in. I would rather have DH give it to me in the comfort of my own home then have a nurse do it in the hospital. Plus I did a massive poop right before delivery with Eve and it almost hurt more than pushing the baby out!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I didn't do a water birth, so I don't know about any of that, but here is my experience...

My midwife checked me, and I was a 3. She said that she could feel that I had some build up in my bowels. So, she said to go home, do an enema, and come in when I felt it was time. We stopped by Walgreens and bought a Fleet's. I went back and went into the bathroom to do it all. I felt kinda weird and nervous about it. I decided to use the hands and knees position to do it. Well, being all big and pregnant made it kinda difficult to maneuver and squeeze it in. So I ended up calling DH in to do it for me. A little bit embarrassing, but we both got over it quickly. I stayed on my knees for about 5 minutes before I felt the need to go. I sat up onto the toilet and went. It was very painless and easy. It was just an easy, soft bm. I never had to go again for the rest of the labor/delivery.

I don't know how much it helped with the delivery, but I never had a fear of pooping during the pushing.
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

January 28th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
hmmm, I've never had one so I can't help w/if it hurts or not, but can't you just use "Fleet" instead? I had to use it before surgery one time, and all it is is this little squirt bottle with fleet in it, and you squirt it up there, and try to hold it in as long as you can (which is probably not going to be more than a minute maybe two) and it cleans out your bowels...you will feel the urge to explode lol. But it's not painful.[/b]

Fleet is an enema! I have never used one during labor, but I sort of wish I had during the last one. I think it would have helped move things along. I think if I am backed up this time I will use one before going in. I would rather have DH give it to me in the comfort of my own home then have a nurse do it in the hospital. Plus I did a massive poop right before delivery with Eve and it almost hurt more than pushing the baby out!
[/b]

oh lol, wo0ops...i didnt know that! I guess i HAVE had an enema! lol and it sooo didnt hurt! lol

January 29th, 2009, 12:20 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't wait to hear what your m/w and work say!!!! KUP!
January 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I had to go to the bathroom like 2785628952482095 times the few hours before my water broke. It was such a relief in many ways. So I think you could have one on hand and if you feel the desire, you can use it.

There is a stigma attached to enemas during labor because they used to be forced on women by hospital staff along with shaving. I don't even think they were given a chance to have privacy. I think the process was really humiliating because of the way it was done. If that makes sense.
February 1st, 2009, 12:33 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That seems a VERY unfriendly policy to the birthing mother. Sounds ridiculous to me. I would be ticked if I were told that. That's what the little nets are for. What are they worried about?
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search