emotional signs during labor?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Veteran
Hi! This is my first pregnancy and I am due in May. I plan to go naturally and am trying to get as much info as I can about the labor experience. In reading through the childbirth stories posted in the forum, I have noticed a couple of moms mention "watching their emotional road signs during labor" and knowing that they were transitioning or getting close to the actual birth of their baby. What does this mean? I have read about physical changes, but what emotional changes or signs should I expect as labor progresses?
January 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
http://www.birthingnaturally.net/birth/index.html Check this site out! On the right you can click on the different stages of labor and it'll tell you how most moms feel emotionally and how they act during each time.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/doulaamanda/Labor.html this site has EXCELLENT info!

Generally, prelabor and early labor are easy breazy, you can laugh and joke and smile and talk and move comfortably during this time...... You'll probably be very modest during this part of labor and conscious of what's going on around you. You'll likely be able to continue on with daily tasks (even though you are consumed with the thought of being in labor )

when you hit active labor (around 4-5cm usually but not always), you generally will have to focus and concentrate during the contractions, your body starts reacting much differently and you may go into the "labor zone" and sort of zone out during contractions. In between the contractions, you might try to rest or you may still talk, but usually you won't be laughing and joking so much anymore. Your brows will naturally furrow during contractions and your body may tense up more. It may be impossible to move during contractions... This is the "Serious" stage You probably

When you are hitting transition, this is when most moms feel a sense of losing control - you may start asking for drugs or say that you can't do it anymore or scream to just get it out or even say that you don't want to have the baby today afterall! All of this is normal. You may have a hard time focusing and get panicky or even throw up. All totally normal!

Pushing is different for everyone and sometimes comes as a huge relief and sometimes the mom feels overwhelmed and needs gentle reassurance or guidance by their care provider. Once focused, most moms push through their contractions with a sense of urgency and need because it feels right and natural to do so. The uterus contracts in a different way during this phase of labor and it seems almost unnatural to do anythign BUT push! You may suddenly be more alert and aware during this time and focused.

Did this help at all? Let me know if you need more information! Any Bradley Birthing books will give great info on emotional signposts as well!
January 29th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4460,00.html

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 30th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think these ladies did a great job of getting you going! I just wanted to say welcome!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 30th, 2009, 05:42 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I don't have much to add except with me, my emotional stages were the furthest thing from my mind. I didn't even recognize transition at the time. But I suppose many do.

welcome to our board!
January 30th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I didn't know much about the emotional signs of labor before I had my son but when I looked back on it everything matched perfectly with what I was then reading. I know now that when I thought I couldn't take it anymore I was almost ready to push and that really is what happened to me. And pushing for me was a huge relief, like the earlier post said. I'm sorry I couldn't provide more info for you but I think the previous posts did a great job of that.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 30th, 2009, 10:18 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You may not be able to identify the emotional signs but your providers will, especially a midwife and doula. Just trust them. If you get to the point that you feel you can't go on, it usually means you are almost done. Your doula will probably beam at what a great job you are doing and that you'll be holding your baby soon.
January 30th, 2009, 12:46 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Like others have said, I didn't recognize my own signs in the middle of my own labor. But when I looked back on it, the signs were very much there, and so classic.

Come visit my blog!
January 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
You may not be able to identify the emotional signs but your providers will, especially a midwife and doula. Just trust them. If you get to the point that you feel you can't go on, it usually means you are almost done. Your doula will probably beam at what a great job you are doing and that you'll be holding your baby soon.[/b]
I couldn't have said it better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search