How much do you worry about what you're eating?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2009, 08:49 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
I'm usually kind of a health nut... I like to eat organic foods, nothing processed, etc. Lately I've been slacking and worrying about getting back on track with my diet, especially now that I'm pregnant. I hear so much though that women who are very fit and healthy will eat completely different once their pregnant 'cause many foods that they used to enjoy make them sick or they just crave a lot of different things... some not even all that healthy. How much should I worry about what foods I'm consuming? I want to have a good start this time around, keep fit and be healthy. Any good Ideas on eating habits (especially for the 1st Trimester)?

February 1st, 2009, 09:41 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have found that I eat miserably during the first trimester. I eat what will go down and stay down. I try to stick to healthier options but it is sometimes hard for me to. So far this time I find I can eat baby carrots and Cheerios, so I try to stick with those. Last time I ate a LOT of potato chips though. Usually for me I am able to get back on track during the second trimester.

Some 'bad' things i crave now are fake cheese, like the 7-11 style nacho cheese or Easy Cheese, so gross...lol. Remeber Handi-snacks with the cheese and crackers? yeah I want that. When I am really miserable I eat it because I need something, but I try not to go crazy with it. Last time I ate an entire can of Easy Cheese in one day!

I have been losing weight so far, which surprises me, I am not too worried though because I am 30 pounds overweight to begin with, so I know baby is getting the nutrients. But I know I am going to have to eat better soon. It is just hard becuase so much stuff really makes me want to vomit.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Prior to getting pregnant i was eating a super duper healthy macrobiotic vegan diet. It does not get cleaner eating than that As soon as I got pregnant, though, I had severe food adversions. Most of my diet was leafy greens, vegetables, beans, etc and i could not eat any of that. During my first 13 or 14 weeks I lived off of tater tots (my DH was SHOCKED as he never saw me eat them before ), plain pasta and salt, toast, and dry cereal. I would be able to stomach fruit and sometimes a salad. I also started to eat some low fat dairy like yogurt. Since the bulk of the food adversions have gone away, I am back to a pretty healthy diet. A very well rounded vegetarian diet heavy in fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes. I used to eat A LOT of soy, but there have been some concerns with high soy intake and poor reproductive development in boys (they say i am having a girl, but until the next ultrasound, i am keeping my intake low). Instead of soy milk i switched to almond milk. I was eating soy several times a day, but i am just eating beans instead.

I have had a sweet tooth and i will have some ice cream, because even though i did not eat ice cream for years, i want it every day I am always hungry though, and it is hard to not eat 24/7.

I think, in the first trimester, eat what you can and do the best you can. If all you can stomach is plain carbs, then eat it. Food is better than no food, and some food in your belly will make you feel less sick. I found the hungrier i was, the more nauseous i would get!!! LOL. Once you get towards the end of the first trimester, try to go back to your old eating habits.

February 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First trimester its fair game----if it stays in-I ate it. ( I lose 8 lbs anyway). I'm getting better now that I'm feeling better. My m/w was not concerned at all that my 1st trimester diet was bad.
February 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i ate pretty well. i craved fruit for most of my pregnancy so i ate a lot of berries and melons. i took Bradley Method classes and part of the course is focused on what you eat and you keep a food log. they wanted you to eat a lot over 80g of protein a day (i think it was 80g) and stuff like that.

February 2nd, 2009, 06:07 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Prior to getting pregnant I was following guidlines from a nutrionist so I KNEW I was getting the appropriate amount of food and the correct balance (except for my starbucks addiction).

First trimester I lost all my appetite...and if I needed to cook something, I would end up not wanting to eat it. SO I lived off crackers, bagels, and microwavable dinners. I didn't gain any weight.

Second trimester towards the middle I started gaining more weight, but it's becuase I got my appetite back in full force. I still have trouble eating the vegetables I used to enjoy...they are just so unnapealing. And I certainly have a sweet tooth...but I started to bring TONS of food to work with me so I could pick healthier things and avoid the temptation of the vending machine (one week I ate through the entire stock of ho-ho's, and I didn't even like them prior to pregnancy). Like for example today I brought: yougurt, small blueberry bagel, a yam, soup, 2 nectarines, a pear, a plum, a bag of Kashi crackers, a Kashi cereal bar, and an easy mac packet...and I most certainly eat all of this at work....along with my 80-100 ounces of water...

We'll see what happens in the third trimester for me. I don't worry to much about the food, I am just trying to keep it balanced and OVERALL healthy. I have also been craving grilled cheeses and hamburgers so...I've been indulging. lol.

Oh funny thing is, I HATE starbucks now...I cannot even stomach it, still!
February 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
sarah- you sound like me at work, i usually bring a TON of food with me-- apples, grapes, berries, yogurt, cottage cheese and crackers, carrots and hummus, etc

February 2nd, 2009, 08:42 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
mmmm hummus

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 2nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
Thanks girls, this is very helpful!

February 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Veteran
I also worried about how I was eating (or not eating) in my first trimester...really I couldn't eat much at all! As long as you ate nutritously before pregnancy, you'll be fine and shouldn't worry. Just try to eat your best as you are able to. Baby will be healthy!

I'm Stayin Home and Lovin It!

My Pregnancy VLOG:
http://www.youtube.com/JoyeuseSteuer

February 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Regular
Thought I would add something. I'm studying on becoming a nurse. In psychology the other day we talked about pregnancy. It is the most important that you eat healthy the last 3 months of pregnancy because thats when the baby does most of its growing.
February 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
**drinks her coke and runs away

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

February 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I'm normally really healthy. During this last pregnancy, I had trouble eating normally during the first trimester. I bought granola bars that I liked from whole foods and drank OJ with protein powder. As pregnancy progressed, I ate what I wanted and just tried to make good choices. I craved meat and potatoes kind of food. Almost immediately after delivery, my appetite changed again. Now, I'm eating like my old self. My philosphy on pregnany eating is all things in moderation. I had 1 cup of coffee most days. I had dessert when I wanted it. My goal was to get enough protein everyday. When I hit that, I just naturally ate better.

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search