No support from hubby

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Hi! I'm new to the forums. I am 29 weeks and have decided to go with NCB. My problem is that hubby does not support me at all and on top of that he is a Drill Sergeant in the Army and will not be able to attend the NCB classes with me.

When I told him that I wanted a NCB he looked at me like I was crazy and said to go with and epidural. He is completely non supportive and truly thinks that I am not going to be able to handle the pain.

We have been married for 8 years and never in that time frame has he not supported me in something I have wanted to do, so I'm not sure how to react. Any advice would be appreciated.
March 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
oh I am so sorry he is not being supportive. Have you aske dhim why he is acting that way? I would do it just to prove to him you can!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 9th, 2009, 04:30 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! Sorry to hear your DH is not being supportive. I agree that you should talk to him about how serious this is to you and how much you need him backing. Other than that, I highly suggest you hire a doula. Especially with lack of support from your DH, you need someone there to coach and encourage you. And read as much as you can get your hands on. Reading other natural births will bolster your own confidence. And definitely stick around here. The ladies here are amazing and inspiring!
March 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Wow. In the end, it is not his choice. You need to educate him! go rent "The Business of Being Born" and get the book "Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth" to educate him and you on the risks of epidurals and interventions. You have time to work on him. Also, looking into a doula to have for support can be invaluable.

March 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Wow. In the end, it is not his choice. You need to educate him! go rent "The Business of Being Born" and get the book "Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth" to educate him and you on the risks of epidurals and interventions. You have time to work on him. Also, looking into a doula to have for support can be invaluable.

March 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
hi, welcome to our board! I'm, Cheryl co-host here. I agree with the PP, rent the movie and have him watch it with you, and read that book. The more educated you are, the better chance you have of helping him see.

Getting a doula is a great idea, mine was a godsend!
March 9th, 2009, 11:21 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry he's not supportive. As the other ladies have said, try rent some videos and read some books to help educate him.

March 10th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww! I am really sorry you have to deal with that. I'm also new here! We didn't plan one way or the other if we would have an epi or not. My son just came wayyy to fast so I had no choice. LOL Good luck with whatever you and DH choose.

March 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't pay any attention to him :] he is a man afterall..and they are wusses!!!! My husband had the attitude of "Do what you want, but if I were you I'd go with the epidural" and also I faint really easily when I am overheated...so he told me I should do the epidural because of that. That frustrated me to no end!!!!!! I faint because I don't drink enough fluids....I gave birth in a hospital so I had fluids thru an IV...

So just let him talk, you just stay strong minded. All you need to get through a NCB is a strong mind anyway. Stick to your guns and you will have a NCB!

Mama to my little men Brendan and PJ

Brendan Collin 11/03/08
Peyton James 07/11/11
March 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Welcome to the forum! I'm Cindy, mommy to Bryson, expecting our second in late May (I think we may be due around the same time!) and the other co-host here. I completely agree about having your hubby watch "The Business of Being Born" with you. Also, definitely read as much as you can. I recommend "Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin as well. Oh, and I agree about hiring a doula as well.

I hope you stick around. We are here to support you and I hope to get to know you better!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 10th, 2009, 09:31 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww. That's too bad he's not supporting NCB right now. My SO laughed in my face the first time I told him I wanted to have a natural birth. He was like "Well why would you put yourself through all that pain if you don't have to?" After I started researching more, I kept telling him more facts about it, and now he's totally on board with it.

I got "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth," and it was a big help. SO actually ended up really enjoying that book, too, (he reads it everyday... but I totally wasn't expecting that to happen haha). I hope your hubby gets on board, but if he doesn't, a doula is a good way to go, so you know you have someone backing all of your decisions. I hope you stick around!

March 10th, 2009, 09:39 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I'm sorry he's being that way. Mine casually was talking about me having the baby with his brother, when I overheard something about an epi, and I was like "hell no, i'm not getting one". They both think I am crazy and will change my mind. I just don't think the risks are worth it!

March 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with telling him facts! I did that everytime I read something new about the epidural and towards the end my husband said he wasn't going to LET me get an epidural! Society makes everyone, especially men, think no epi is UNsafe...They just need to be educated about it, is all.

Mama to my little men Brendan and PJ

Brendan Collin 11/03/08
Peyton James 07/11/11
March 11th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Wow ladies! Thank you for all the responses. I will definitely check out the book and video. I know that ultimately he will support my decision, but it just stings that his initial reaction was that he doesn't think I can do it.

Cindy I am due on May 24th.
March 14th, 2009, 06:16 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I am so sorry that he's not being supportive right now, I can't imagine getting through my daughter's NCB without my husband's support and encouragement. That being said, I bet a big part of it is that he just doesn't want you to suffer and think that if you go natural that you'll be in too much pain and he won't know what to do or how to react (men are big "fixers", ya know?). Anyway, make yourself very informed on the issue so you can educate him as much as possible. And ditto to the others about having him watch the movie, and you definitely can't go wrong with a doula!
March 14th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I am so sorry that he's not being supportive right now, I can't imagine getting through my daughter's NCB without my husband's support and encouragement. That being said, I bet a big part of it is that he just doesn't want you to suffer and think that if you go natural that you'll be in too much pain and he won't know what to do or how to react (men are big "fixers", ya know?). Anyway, make yourself very informed on the issue so you can educate him as much as possible. And ditto to the others about having him watch the movie, and you definitely can't go wrong with a doula!
March 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search