Update on My Doula Situation!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
Well I am not going with that doula that I had mentioned in the other topic. She flaked on me twice since then! So frustrating! I have a meeting set up for Sunday with another doula who is a complete sweetheart! She is trained but not certified, she needs my birth to complete her certification. She is charging $500 and that includes everything! I feel good about it so hopefully she works out! Also I switched over to a fabulous group of midwives and I had my first appointment this morning! I LOVE the midwife I met today! She was so funny and sweet and made me feel completely comfortable right away! It was so amazing! I go back in 2 weeks so I can meet with another midwife (there are 4 in the practice). I finally feel at ease about my birth and I am getting so excited!

Thanks for listening!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

March 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
That is great!! I am still on my search.

Good call on switching to the midwives. You are really moving right along and have a great support group around you.

quick question, i did not think students charged, is that common?

March 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay, I'm glad things are lining up nicely. Sorry about the flakey doula. I hope this one is a great match for you. And it's wonderful to feel so at ease with the new midwives. You are creating a great birth team.
March 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great, I hope you like your new doula!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

March 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
noworries
Sounds like the switch to a different group of midwives was a good decision. I hope the doula you are meeting with is great and won't be as flaky as the last one.

Meredith - some doula's who are trained but not certified yet do not charge, and some do. Usually if they do charge, it is still less than if they were certified.
March 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Our instructor encouraged us to not charge for our qualifying births. You can of course, but she encourged us to look at it as our giving to the universe, our good deeds sort of speak.
March 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad to hear that everything is going so smoothly and that you like your new group! KUP on the doula situation!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
March 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
good call on switching to someone you trust!!

My friend has a doula as well and she is a student and does not charge as well.
I am not getting one so I didn't look. My midwife does not leave you during the birth and acts as doula in case of hospital tranfer. Its a one midwife practice so not concerned all that much

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't charge for my first 3 births, but after that I did, even though I hadn't even finished my certification births. Depending on location (cost of living), family and other job plenty of certifying doulas charge.

I'm so glad you're getting a great birth team set up! This new doula sounds great. The other one was maybe just getting burnt out- that can happen. And yay for the midwives!!!

March 13th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I had emailed the women who teaches a DONA training course here to find some students when I first started looking. Once I heard that the average price was between $1000- $2000 I figured that would be the most reasonable route to take. She told me that she encourages the students to charge a small fee to cover their travel expenses, etc. $500 was exactly what we wanted to pay so it worked out great. Oh and I forgot to say that she had 3 NCBs in a hospital herself. So I think that alone is enough experience!

She has to drive a little over an hour to get here, do you think that is ok?

March 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Quote:
She has to drive a little over an hour to get here, do you think that is ok?
Sure, just make sure to call her as soon as you think you'll be needing her so she can get to you as soon as possible. Things seem to be all working out, maybe exactly as they should be. Congrats!
March 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I think that's fine. I've had clients nearly an hour from me, and it was no big deal at all.

I did do only one prenatal at their home, the other closer by me (at the birth center) and am doing the postpartum visits the same way, with 1 at home and one or two at the center. I usually do one prenatal at their home, one at the birth center, and all 2-3 pp visits at their home.

Last edited by DoulaMama; March 13th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
March 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I can't believe that other Doula was such a flake! Thank goodness you are smart enough to drop her and go with someone else. Have you actually met her yet?
March 14th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the explaination about fees. I hope all works out with this doula. I have a couple leads as of last night, and hope to meet with at least one next week. One is very close to where i work and has one more birth for her certification and charges $400. I am not sure what the other charges. I think an hour is fine, as long as you let her know ASAP when you need her!

March 14th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Meredith- that is awesome! Good luck!!!

March 14th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I am meeting with a different doula who gave birth at my birth center and she charges $600, but was VERY open to a trade!!! We are going to set up for next week, and I will meet the other woman next week, hopefully, as well. Sorry to hijack this thread.

March 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM
that is awesome! I love trading!!!

March 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
That's awesome!!! YAYYYY! I'm sooo glad things are working out for you hun!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope everything works out Meredith! And you didn't hijack the thread! I wanted to know how things were going for you too!

I am meeting with the new doula tomorrow. She is coming to my home in the afternoon! Hopefully she is just as great in person! The flakey doula called me last night- um hello, you were supposed to come over on Monday and you wait until Friday night to return my call?! I'm so glad I am meeting this other women!

March 14th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I am probably going to meet with one on Thursday morning I will keep you posted. Turns out the two i have been communicating with work together, is that weird? Random if nothing else

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search