Really??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Just getting on here real quick to post that the Birth Day on TV today is "a study exploring how inducing labor in women can eliminate health risks to mother and baby".

Come on now...

Maybe for women who have GD/eclampsia/etc. but for a normal healthy woman and baby. They dont really expect us to believe that do they?

The woman they have on right now "needed" to be induced because she has no labor support and she needed to make sure she had someone to watch her children... at least they called in a doula for her. I didnt watch long enough to see if there were any meds/interventions involved.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
March 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 13th, 2009, 11:08 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I never watch those shows because their ideas of childbirth are so drastically different than mine, what's the point? LOL.

March 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sad that needing someone to watch your other children is now considered a "medical need". A young friend of mine just had a baby last week, induced for that very reason, and so her doctor could be the one to deliver.
March 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunaB View Post
... so her doctor could be the one to deliver.
this is a common idea and soon to be practice in my DDC.

March 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I understand the desire but I would never risk my babies health over it. Or better yet, I would choose a midwife that I'm more likely to get, or a small midwife practice where I get to know all of them and then am happy with anyone of them.
March 13th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Quote:
I understand the desire but I would never risk my babies health over it. Or better yet, I would choose a midwife that I'm more likely to get, or a small midwife practice where I get to know all of them and then am happy with anyone of them.
My opinion is, that if you are not comfortable with the practice, then you are in the wrong practice. There is one (out of like 8) midwife I do not care for, but at the same time, I do not doubt her skills and would not mind if she were the one to deliver my baby. I prefer it to not be her, but I think she would do a great job.

March 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Induction to reduce risks to the mother???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

My induction experience with my first born, DS1, was a nightmare!!! Not to mention that I almost needed a blood transfusion after I had him because they left me on pitocin for 2 days straight and my bleeding was terrible after he was born. Keeping someone on pitocin 2 days in a row and in the bed hooked up to an IV, unable to eat all day long and only small meals with Cervidil suppositories at night is GOOD FOR THE MOTHER? Give me a flipping break!!!!! This is why I went natural with DD, 2nd born, and continued to educate myself further and will be using that knowledge for hopeully another awesome birth this time.

I swear!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

March 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
this is a common idea and soon to be practice in my DDC.
ok.. my doc delivered Nichole as well. Guess what I have not seen the man since I had my 6 week check up. i don't miss him. lol He was an ok doc too. Inever had any issues with him.

I don't get it. Granted I was induced but.. I feel it was needed and I lucked out that I had an epidural and did not end up with a c-sec or worse

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just dont get how they are going to prove the results in their favor. He was saying something like since he induced her so she could have childcare it would help with her risk of PPD...??? Whaaaa???

I dont watch these shows either which is why I dont know how it ended. I just saw the info on it and changed it.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
March 14th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowBabyGrow View Post
I just dont get how they are going to prove the results in their favor. He was saying something like since he induced her so she could have childcare it would help with her risk of PPD...??? Whaaaa???

I dont watch these shows either which is why I dont know how it ended. I just saw the info on it and changed it.
That is a really bleak glimpse of the issues of obstetric care in our country If childcare was so important, why risk starting with unnecessary interventions that could lead to a cesarean which would be even MORE inconvenient for this woman

March 14th, 2009, 07:10 AM
.adi.
What's sad is that people will watch that and take it as fact rather than researching it for themselves. I think inducing for convenience is a very selfish reason.
March 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Regular
Oh I absolutely hate these shows but just have to watch them anyway - sort of like looking at a car wreck.

But seriously, wouldn't it be better for the mothers health if they provided child care in the hospital for any children that needed it and let the mother go to term??????surely in the long run this would be cheaper for the hospital (NCBs are cheaper after all) as well as better for the mothers...

And when are OBs going to start practicing as a group rather than as individuals - like midwives do so - you get to know a couple of them and whichever is on the call that night is the one your going to get - is that really such a hard concept. And that way we can get rid of this need to deliver on a certain day so that you get YOUR doctor - is it really that hard for people to bond with more than one medical care provider?
March 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
My opinion is, that if you are not comfortable with the practice, then you are in the wrong practice. There is one (out of like 8) midwife I do not care for, but at the same time, I do not doubt her skills and would not mind if she were the one to deliver my baby. I prefer it to not be her, but I think she would do a great job.
I totally agree with this. I didn't "click" with one of the midwives but knew she was highly qualified and I had total faith in her knowledge and ability. Guess what? She ended up delivering Carter and it was just fine! I honestly wouldn't have known if Superman had been in the room...LOL!!! At that point, as long as you feel safe, why does it matter??

March 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
..... and so her doctor could be the one to deliver.
If my dr wasn't able to deliver me when my baby was good and ready to come out, I'd find a new dr! My OB is the only one in the practice and the only one I know that will be there to deliver my baby. It's funny these days how drs don't care for their patients in this way. I have seen pics of my dr in his scrubs at family events because he just delivered a baby. I wonder when he has time to sleep or spend time with his family for that matter.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

March 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post

March 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhryerson View Post
Oh I absolutely hate these shows but just have to watch them anyway - sort of like looking at a car wreck.

But seriously, wouldn't it be better for the mothers health if they provided child care in the hospital for any children that needed it and let the mother go to term??????surely in the long run this would be cheaper for the hospital (NCBs are cheaper after all) as well as better for the mothers...

And when are OBs going to start practicing as a group rather than as individuals - like midwives do so - you get to know a couple of them and whichever is on the call that night is the one your going to get - is that really such a hard concept. And that way we can get rid of this need to deliver on a certain day so that you get YOUR doctor - is it really that hard for people to bond with more than one medical care provider?
my midwife practices solo. She is the owner of her birth center and just her deliver babies. But then again she only takes the amount of moms that she can handle, not more just because its more money too

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhryerson View Post

And when are OBs going to start practicing as a group rather than as individuals
- like midwives do so - you get to know a couple of them and whichever is on the call that night is the one your going to get - is that really such a hard concept. And that way we can get rid of this need to deliver on a certain day so that you get YOUR doctor - is it really that hard for people to bond with more than one medical care provider?
Around here, all the OBs are in multi-doctor practices, as are most people in my DDC's, HOWEVER, it seems that these women prefer one doctor and want to ensure that THAT doctor is the one that delivers their baby, and for some reason the OB thinks that it is a great idea to induce them prior to their due date so they can deliver the baby. Is it an ego thing? ***?

March 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it's a money thing..... the doctor who delivers usually gets the lions share of the birth fee.

March 14th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I want a baby View Post
it's a money thing..... the doctor who delivers usually gets the lions share of the birth fee.
d'uh. that never occurred to me! LOL.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search