Breech Babies

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2009, 11:04 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This weeks' reading material for doula class on Monday is about breech babies. Last week the instructor, who is a midwife, told us that only a couple of old docs at one hospital still perform vaginal breech births. They have taught the techniques to a couple of newer doctors. But that's it in all of SF! Even the midwife said she did not feel comfortable attempting it. A dying art indeed!

The reading material basically stated that it was a toss-up over vaginal delivery and c-section. Depending on the type of breech, babies can be injured during a vaginal attempt. There have been broken colar bones and other injuries. But of course a c-section is not without it's own myriad of complications too. And it did state that certain breeches like star gazers, babies who's head is looking up, should not be attempted vaginally at all.

So if you had a baby that had not turned using natural or even medical methods, and say you were lucky enough to find that rare OB or midwife that did vaginal breech births, would you try it or succumb to a c-section for the safety of the baby?

Another question related to this, would you choose an OB or midwife just because they had experience delivering breech babies, just in case?
March 13th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
This is a hard one for me. I would do everything in my power to get the baby to turn and if they didn't I honestly don't know what I would do. Part of me is scared to try to birth a breech baby and of course, I'm terrified of a c-section. I really don't know if I'd be able to make that decision unless I were faced with it but I'd really want to say I'd want to at least TRY for the vaginal delivery.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I think i would attempt a vaginal breech delivery *IF* I had a midwife with experience in it. If I didn't have an experienced provider I'm not sure, I'd have to think on it more if/when the situation arose.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

March 13th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I would not choose a provider based on this.. as I just choose a midwife. BUT if it was just the feet first breech, then yes I would attempt it. My midwife has deliverd a few breech babies at her birthing center.. thogh her book says she doesn't so I don't know how much experience she has. Now if I had a transverse baby I might not. THough I have never researched it, i would just think it would be harder

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
noworries
If there were a good chance that I could successfully birth a breech baby vaginally, I would try for it. I have a friend who has had 3 of her 4 kids at home. She has a set of twins that she birthed at home and one of them was breech.
March 13th, 2009, 04:31 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It really depends for me. First baby... maybe I'd do a vaginal birth. Second on- yes. I'd do all in my power to do a vaginal birth. I'd first do everything I could think of, and that is a lot of things, to get baby to turn first, including an external version.

I wouldn't choose a provider for it, as midwives in my state cannot knowingly attend a breech birth. I would travel to the farm if nothing would get my baby to turn and I did want to do a vaginal birth- if I couldn't find an OB I'd trust who would do it. I don't know of any now, anyhow.

March 14th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
My baby is breech now but my midwife said its fine that the baby still has plenty of time to turn. I am going to try all the natural ways to get baby to turn but if it comes down to it I would definately attempt a vaginal birth. I do not want a c-section unless it is for the safety of myself or my baby of course. I know that my old OB would NEVER attempt a vaginal delivery or try to turn the baby externally, he would just schedule the section. Is it too early for me to try to turn the baby with hypnobabies because the baby could turn back? Its not that I am nervous about the delivery but I am very uncomfortable due to the position he or she is in.
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

March 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife has done breech births, but she said she is more comfortable in second time moms or later.

Basically, you try everything you can to turn the baby, and if it won't turn there's a talk about the "new plan". If mom really wants a vaginal delivery, she goes for an ultrasound to make sure there's noting to contra-indicate it and we go from there. She does NOT like to deliver footling breech though. Just regular type.

March 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I would do everything I could to have baby turn before the birth. If baby was still breech at maybe 37 weeks or so, I would get my butt down to TN and see the ladies on the farm!
March 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I would definitely try EVERYTHING to get the baby to turn but if there was no success then I probably wouldn't be brave enough to attempt a vaginal breech delivery... just being honest.
March 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I asked my midwife about this, they cant legally deliver breech baby, but if baby is in breech position she would be willing to do it (if let's say baby flips back into breech at the last minute), or she said we would find OB that delivers breech babies, they know some who do, so I feel much better about it now.

March 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ah this topic hits home for me. My first was a c-section because he was breech and we didn't know it until my water broke when he stuck his foot out. A footling breech is rather dangerous to deliver especially in a first time mom. By that point it was too late to try an external version.

With Mike, he was breech at 37.5 weeks, they did the ECV and it was successful. Not the most fun thing to experience, but better by far than a ERCS.

Caroleigh was breech at 37 weeks, they turned her a few days later. Her ECV was scary, her HR dropped and they rushed me into the OR, but she was fine. The doctors didn't do as good a job with her turn as the other docs did with Mike's. What is funny about this is Mike was a full pouind larger than Caro at birth, so he was at least 8 pounds when they did his version.

With Evangeline I did every thing possible to get her to turn. Webster, breech tilts, pelvics tilts, ice packs, massage, etc. And it WORKED!!!!! Which I was very greatful for because my doctors did not do, nor were they supportive of referring me to a doc that would do it.

With this baby I will again do all the stuff to promote fetal positioning. I am going to see the chiro in my clinic, even though he isn't Webster trained. My chiros that I saw last time always said my round ligaments felt good, so I guess the Webster wasn't totally needed. I do think that the way they kept my pelvis and sacrum aligned was beneficial, and any chiro can do that. If the baby is breech at 32 weeks, I will then go to a Webster trained chiro.

If the baby doesn't turn, I don't think my midwives can legally deliver breech, but they do ECV's. From what they said they do a much better job of it than most doctors. They will sometimes do them in their office, if baby turns easily. They also said their backup doc doe sthem in the hospital. Someone else that is familiar with them said he might deliver a vaginal breech. I would do it with a hands off doctor that wouldn't over manage the labor.

I would NOT attempt a vaginal breech with a un-trained doctor, it is more dangerous. Like with my last doctor, never I wouldn't have even attempted it.

With my first if he had been in more favorable position my doctor woul dhave let me try to deliver vaginally. SInce I know I have an adequate pelvis I would not be worried about it now. I pushed a 9 lb 14 ounce baby through my pelvis, with his 15.5 inch head tilted. If I could do that I could do anything!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
March 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was terrified of having a breech baby when I was pregnant with DD, simply because I was breech when my Mom arrived at the hospital in labor. I know there is no relationship, but I was still worried. They got me to flip somehow and she had a vaginal birth. My DH is very good at feeling what part is up and what part is down, just as my midwives did, so he kept me reassured that DD was in the proper position until the end.

When I first met my new Midwife a few months ago I asked her if this baby is breech and we can't get them to flip would I be allowed to try a vaginal birth? She said yes, since I have a 'proven pelvis' and only if they were frank breech (ie butt first.) She is a CNM that works in an office with an MD and I will be delivering at a hospital, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the possibility of trying under the right circumstances. Knowing this has helped calm my fears this time around.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search