Definitely want to go natural now!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM
*Britt*'s Avatar Veteran
So I was doing reasearch on epidurals and I really wish I had done this before having my son. Every complication I had was from that stupid epi! I really think I would have had a much better labor process if I hadn't gotten it. I was talking to my mom about it this morning and she thinks I'm crazy for not wanting to get another epi next time but when my baby's heart rate started dropping as low as 70 bpm during labor... I've never been so scared. I don't want to go through that again, even if it means I take all the pain. I mean, that is after all the way it's supposed to be.

http://www.kimjames.net/Baby%20Side%20Effects.htm

Losing the baby weight... and then some

March 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
noworries
Yeah, I think a lot of women have no idea that an epi can cause complications. Good for you for starting to do research so you will be better informed next time.
March 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes - I feel so lucky that my first birth and epi experience went so smoothly. I was not ever informed (or didn't inform myself) of all the complications. This time it was sooooo different!

March 14th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcghee View Post
Yes - I feel so lucky that my first birth and epi experience went so smoothly. I was not ever informed (or didn't inform myself) of all the complications. This time it was sooooo different!
me too. Though my excuse was I didn't care about the risks as much. Imean seriously with all the woman that get them, what were the odds of me having a reaction of some sort was my thinking. live you learn, and luckily my dd is healthy kinda thing now

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 14th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, they definitely don't tell you the true side effects before getting an epidural, and they really should. I wish they gave pregnant women more information so we could make more informed choices.

Expecting baby #4!

March 14th, 2009, 03:24 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad you're doing the research and choosing the right thing for you this time! Those complications can be terrifying!

March 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
well congrats on your son, he is so adorable!

I hope you stick around here with us!!
March 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it helps to be afraid of needles!! LOL it makes you research ahead of time and you find the info before it is too late.

March 14th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had the same thing happen when I had my eldest DD. It is a very scary thing! Glad you are here!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
March 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
mom2bri's Avatar Super Mommy
I also had some complications during the birth with DD but specially had horrible side effects that lasted weeks after, I was so miserable I could not care for my newborn. I agree with you its not worth it and don't want to go through it again. My heart is set on a natural birth this time but I am not telling anyone other than my mom and DH. It's sad how everyone has an opinion about your birth and are so judgemental when you say you don't want meds, they all think I am just trying to show them off and that I think I am too good for meds.

Make a pregnancy ticker

March 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran
I had two friends who were "talked into" an epidural by their doctors (at the same hospital). Each time the anesthesiologist made a mistake and the epidural injection site resulted in the patient leaking spinal fluid. This caused severe headaches that will probably last for the rest of their lives when they were not previously migraine patients!

Epidurals are just *so* risky, and they aren't the only risk that we take in a medicated childbirth.

If you haven't already, check out Henci Goer's book The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth or her website. A lot of *great* information there!

Thanks to MommaTrish for the Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search