NCB Discussion...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So I was at a wedding last night and had a discussion about NCB with the girls at the table. Two of them were pregnant, and one was in her 40s. One of the girls who was 38 weeks (and probably went into labor last night after all ) was totally on board with a NCB. Said she was delivering at a hospital because they couldn't afford a BC but that they hired a doula and planned to stay home as long as possible, etc.

However, the other pregnant girl said that there was no way she was even going to consider doing it natural and that she's going to be camped out at the hospital days in advance so at the first sign of contractions she can get her epidural, and if they want to take the baby by c-section she'd be thrilled.

The non-preg lady said that she'd opt for a c-section any day, and in fact if they could knock her out and do it all the better!!!

It was actually really nice to have someone on my side in this debate!!!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
March 15th, 2009, 09:16 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yeah thats great to have someone that feels the same way in a discussion like that. I bet the non preg lady was not thinking before talking. Doesn't she know that they used to knock moms out and that didn't end up being a good thing? I often wonder what goes on in other people's heads when they say stuff like that... to me it just seems natural... every other animal can have a baby without drugs, and we are supposed to be the most sophisticated, so why shouldn't we be able to?

March 15th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess some people don't realize what it's like. I can't imagine being knocked out and not meeting my baby for hours. I don't even see how women view a c-section as the easy way out, that's insane to me! I'd rather feel the pain of contractiions on and off for 12 hours, than be in pain consistently for weeks, trying to recover from a c-section.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

March 15th, 2009, 10:52 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't understand why someone would really even want to have children only to be "knocked out" and have a c section. To me, childbirth is part of the experience and a major bonding time for me, DH and the baby. I can't imagine being knocked out and missing it all!

I'm glad you had someone else on your side for the conversation though that always makes things easier. I hate feeling under "attack" bc I'm the only one who is knowledgeable about my decisions to go NCB and being told how crazy I am. I'll show ya crazy!!!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

March 15th, 2009, 11:17 AM
*Britt*'s Avatar Veteran
alot of women want a c-section or epi because they are scared. I know I was. I wanted an epi because the idea of the contractions and the pushing that baby out terrified me. Now I know that there is nothing to be scared of. Hopefully those women will feel the same way after going through it the first time.

Losing the baby weight... and then some

March 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Such a said commentary on the state of obstetrics in this country!

I have had all types of birth, c-section, epidural and natural. I find the NCB the eaisest of all, faster recovery, etc. It is funny because even though I have first hand experience people still don't believe me that NCB is the way to go!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
March 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would have been staring at those women like they had two heads...

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
March 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I blame Hollywood on a lot of it. In movies and tv, childbirth looks horrific, no wonder people fear it and are scared. But what makes me sad is the lack of research women do on their obstetric care and how they plan on delivering their baby. Almost every woman I meet (online and IRL) says "just give me the drugs!!!!!!" and so many would LOVE a c-section cause it is "easy" and "planned" to them

March 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
eeeee that makes me angry! I had a couple friends, well DH's friends wives, who were like that and I couldn't speak to them. They couldn't WAIT to schedule their c/s.

I just want to slap girls like that!
March 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
I blame Hollywood on a lot of it. In movies and tv, childbirth looks horrific, no wonder people fear it and are scared. But what makes me sad is the lack of research women do on their obstetric care and how they plan on delivering their baby. Almost every woman I meet (online and IRL) says "just give me the drugs!!!!!!" and so many would LOVE a c-section cause it is "easy" and "planned" to them
Absolutely! It's somewhat sad and a little scary that people are so trusting to just believe whatever they are told by society, see on tv or just think their doctors' words are set in stone. No matter what the circumstance, pregnancy, illness, etc., I always research for myself and seek information through others' experiences and professional opinions. How everyone forget that years ago women were delivering their own babies without assistance from anyone or any type of medication is beyond me. People have been having babies since day 1!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search