New Here & Really Excited!!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
mom2bri's Avatar Super Mommy
I am from the Sept. DDC 09 and was referred by some awesome ladies to this forum. I am really excited I found it as I have been trying to find a place were I can find information and a support group for a natural birth.

I delivered DD with the use of an epidural and not only did I hate the effects it had on my body during labor, the fact that it affected DD heart rate, caused me to end up with a extremely painful 3rd degree tear but also I suffered weeks of intense and delibitating back pain that would not allow me to even carry my own baby for long periods of time. I knew right then that I would never get another epidural.

Well here I am now trying to be as informed and ready to endure free a med labor. The guess the harderst part is not having anyone to talk to (that is why I am so excited to be here!) as all my friends are the give me the epidural with the first contraction and my sister is an anesthesiologist who will be the first one to throw some judgment on my decision not to have the epidural. DH is super supportive and is happy with my decision. My mom is the only other person that knows, besides DH, my heart is set on a natural birth and as much as she wants to be supportive I can tell she is worried and thinks I don't have a clue how bad the pain will be (she had all 3 children naturally). I know she means well and will be hard for her to watch me be in pain during the labor.

I have been researching Hypnobirthing and I think that is the method I think will work best for me, I was told some of you ladies are familiar with it and I was hoping to hear some of your suggestions and stories. There is a class being offered at my local hospital but its $150! We are struggling financially and was wondering if it would be worth it to take it or just read the book or do both.

I appreciate all your input and sorry my post is so long. Like I said I am really excited to be here and look forward to getting to know you all

Make a pregnancy ticker

March 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Hi!!! Sorry to hear about the complications from your first birth, but that is the proof that epidurals are NOT 100% safe like they are made out to be. You will have a great birth experience this time around, as long as you educate yourself. I am going to start the hypnobabies home course soon, as a friend gave it to me! Are you birthing in a hospital or birth center? If hospital, i would research the hospital, and also ask your OB(s) about natural birth and see how supportive they are. You want a doctor who supports you as well as a hospital that is conducive to natural birth.

March 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Welcome!! I'm Cindy, one of the co-hosts here, and I'm so excited you are here as well! Congratulations on your pregnancy and the decision to go for a NCB. You can absolutely do this! I used Hypnobirthing my son and loved it. I've heard that Hypnobabies is even more successful but I think it's all in the determination and commitment. NCB may not be easy but you will not regret it. I took a class for Hypnobirthing and I'm really glad I did. I don't know that just reading the book would have been enough for me because the class was really personal and gave both DH and I lots of exercises to practice at home and other information that wasn't available in the book. Also, I didn't understand fully how to do the breathing in the book until I took the class. The book is a fantastic read though so definitely do that if nothing else. I also recommend reading Ina May Gaskin's "Guide to Childbirth". If money is really tight I would contact the hospital and see if they can work something out for you to pay the class over time or to reduce the rate for you. It can't hurt to try!

I can't wait to get to know you better and don't listen to all those naysayers. You are doing the best that you can for you and your baby and anyone that would look down on you for that needs a readjustment.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! Sorry your first experience was so scary. I'm glad you have your husband for support and of course we're all here for you. If your sister gives you grief I suggest just explaining to her, just as you did to us, the complications you experienced last time and that you feel it's too much of a risk to go through again. If she still gives you a bad time, you made need to tell her that it's something you won't discuss with her if she can't be supportive.

I hope this next birth is all that you hope it to be!
March 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're glad you joined us!
I also had a terrible birth experience with lots of interventions after being induced and a hard time with an epi, too. I had NCB with my 2nd and am planning another NCB, but more exciting, a waterbith this time! My NCB with my 2nd born was so amazing in comparison to my 1st. I hope that you find the same with yours!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

March 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
welcome
I had 4 natural births ( I dont tolerate pain well, but I am scared of needles even more hahahah ), and I am planning my 5th natural birth (again in the pool), and if I can do it anybody can do it LOL. In the class I took they told us not to look at the pain as a "bad horrible" pain, it is a "good" pain that brings you something wonderful at the end. I found it easier to deal with it all at home (I had last 2 births at home in water and those were the best)
my second birth, I didnt have any pain until I was 7 cm dilated, so not every labour is painful either.

March 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
welcome and congrats! I'm Cheryl, co-host here and mommy to Acadia, 14 months old. Thanks for joining us!
March 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
.adi.
Welcome! My son was born in sept of 07 and i have such a soft spot for Septies!!
March 17th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!! I had my first NCB back in May and it was wonderful. Intense yes but wonderful all the same. It was much better than my epidural birth so the "pain" is worth it. The only time the labor was really getting to me was when it was almost time to push. So just know the more intense it gets the closer you are. Glad you are joining us! Ask away!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
March 17th, 2009, 09:42 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad to see you came over here!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search