Posterior baby

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2009, 02:41 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last Thursday at my check up the midwife I saw told me so thought the baby seemed to be "slightly posterior."
Since then I've been trying watch tv on my hands and knees to help try to get him to flip over, but I don't know that its working. I've never had this with either of my first LO's. So now everytime I'm sitting or laying down I poke and try to feel how the baby is positioned and I think I'm going to worry myself sick. The MW had offered to do a quick u/s in the office to see how the baby was positioned, but I didn't feel it was necessary. I'm hoping this Thursday when I have my appointment I will see one of the other midwives (there are 3) and see what they think. Could the baby still move into anterior position before labor or even while in labor? I've been doing some reading and find so much conflicting information. I just don't want anything to take away my plans for my waterbirth.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

March 16th, 2009, 02:42 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Didn't someone say on here a while ago that going to the pool and kicking on the kickboard helped turn a posterior baby? I could be making that up, though

March 16th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
Didn't someone say on here a while ago that going to the pool and kicking on the kickboard helped turn a posterior baby? I could be making that up, though

I have heard that swimming helps, but I don't have access to an indoor pool and of course its too cool outside to think about an outdoor pool. That's why I was doing the hands and knees while watching t.v., but how long are you supposed to do that and how often, I wonder? Because imagine this big belly on all fours for too long.....

March 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Nice belly pic! Is there no local gym with a pool you can get a day pass at? Find a friend with a really big bath tub

March 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Patience, I LOVE your belly!!!

Here's some info I found (it will get repetitive):

http://www.motherspirit.net/articles...reventpost.htm
http://www.pregnancy.org/question/wh...rior-baby-turn
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnanc...ionforbirth/#8
March 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunaB View Post

Thanks, Shauna!
It's rather huge now, but at least I'm "all belly!"
I'll have to post one from the front so you can see how huge my tattoo around my belly button is.... its bigger than my hand now!

Thank you for the linkage!!!

March 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
PM me your email honey!
March 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes- your baby will likely move around a bit more, till you really notice baby drop. you still look plenty high.

To encourage the baby dropping down into your pelvis, as well as proper fetal positioning you can do squats, climb stairs and do lots of chair lunges (bent leg is up on the seat of a chair)

March 16th, 2009, 05:37 PM
~Jackie
Just wanted to comment and say your belly is beautiful!
March 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I want a baby View Post
yes- your baby will likely move around a bit more, till you really notice baby drop. you still look plenty high.

To encourage the baby dropping down into your pelvis, as well as proper fetal positioning you can do squats, climb stairs and do lots of chair lunges (bent leg is up on the seat of a chair)
I guess in the picture since I'm wearing gauchos its kinda hard to tell, but I don't really think this baby is going to drop much lower. Being that he is my 3rd, he never sat nearly as high as my previous 2 children. I don't have any pics scanned in from those pregnancies, but I can tell you that the bottom of my baby belly, is not actually my belly - its my pubic area. He is so low right now that it looks like I have pubic hairs growing on my stomach.

Anyway,I'm less concerned with him dropping down into the pelvis...more concerned with getting him to turn anterior. Hope that makes sense.

March 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
absolutely the baby can flip, even during labor. Courtney was posterior until a week before she was born. I think Nola flipped during labor.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

March 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
absolutely the baby can flip, even during labor. Courtney was posterior until a week before she was born. I think Nola flipped during labor.
I thought I remembered someone here on the board having experienced that. Glad to hear it. I'm not going to stress about it.
Thanks Kelli!

March 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
Cole was posterior until about some point in labor when he just turned. It wasn't so bad. Have you checked out http://www.spinningbabies.com/

There may be some suggestions that might help.

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

March 16th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A posterior baby shouldn't ruin your plans for a water birth. The only thing to be concerned with a posterior baby is back labor, other than that, you should be fine. Anna was posterior since she turned head down, and didn't turn before labor. I looked up a lot of information on it, tried several of the suggestions, but none of them worked. A common opinion seemed to be that there really wasn't much that you could do to turn a posterior baby and it probably won't matter. Anna ended up turning during my labor at some point. I don't know when, but I remember checking her position at one point and she was still posterior, but my midwife said she came out facing the correct way.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

March 16th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks ladies! I feel much better about it now.

March 16th, 2009, 07:22 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
A posterior baby shouldn't ruin your plans for a water birth. The only thing to be concerned with a posterior baby is back labor, other than that, you should be fine. Anna was posterior since she turned head down, and didn't turn before labor. I looked up a lot of information on it, tried several of the suggestions, but none of them worked. A common opinion seemed to be that there really wasn't much that you could do to turn a posterior baby and it probably won't matter. Anna ended up turning during my labor at some point. I don't know when, but I remember checking her position at one point and she was still posterior, but my midwife said she came out facing the correct way.
Ditto! My daughter was born posterior... actually, she started turning in the birth canal and came out facing towards the side. The back labor was KILLER but nothing you can't get through and it definitely shouldn't end your hopes of having a water birth... it didn't for me.
March 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
talk to your midwives about saline shots for your lower back *if* you do have back labor. It really relieves the pain...my friend had back labor at a BC and they gave her the saline shots, it helped her a lot. It does wear off after a while, but it can be a big help for a while!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search