Birth Plan Question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been working on my birth plan off and on as I think of or research different things. From what I've seen and read it's only suppose to be a 1 page thing. Well mine is longer, is that ok? Does anyone have a copy of their birth plan that I could look at? I have mine seperated by labor, c-section (if necessary) and immediate newborn care. It's 2 pages. I figured I would print out what I have and take it to my next appointment with my midwife to see what she has to say about it but thought I'd see what you ladies thought too. Thanks!

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

April 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It is hard to get it down to 1 page. The reason they say that is because the nurses at the hospital wont take the time to read it if it is long. Are you at a hospital or birthing center?

Why dont you post it and we will see what we can help you add or change? That might make it easier.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
April 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
noworries
If it's longer than a page I would definitely make sure it is easy to read by using bullet points instead of lengthy sentences. I would take it to your midwife, she should be able to give a lot of helpful advice with it.
April 8th, 2009, 07:35 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
You are well ahead of the game. I have not started mine yet and do not plan on it until after our birthing class. After our class, we will meet with the doula and write it up. (that will be around 34-5 weeks)

April 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I have not started mineyet.. I think we do it at my next appointment, and then I turn it in at like 32 weeks

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 8th, 2009, 11:29 AM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
I'd be interesting in reading it, and seeing what kind of advice we can give you

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What I would do in your situation is Make one for vaginal birth with the newborn care information on it and put all the c-section informaiton on the second page. That way the stuff that is most likely going to be needed will be easy to read. Keep an extra copy with you of the c-section part and give it to them if the need arises.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablepearl View Post
What I would do in your situation is Make one for vaginal birth with the newborn care information on it and put all the c-section informaiton on the second page. That way the stuff that is most likely going to be needed will be easy to read. Keep an extra copy with you of the c-section part and give it to them if the need arises.
Right this is a great idea! I would do that as well.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Here's my birth plan so far....
Our ideal plan is to have a natural childbirth. We are aware that complications can arise and we are willing to discuss any interventions that the hospital staff believes are necessary. Our requests are:
Labor and Birth
· Please keep internal vaginal exams to a minimum

· I would like to be able to move around freely during all stages of labor, if I wish

· Minimal electronic fetal monitoring, unless more is medically necessary

· I'd like a drug-free birth, I will ask for medication if I feel I need it

· I would prefer no IV but if required to have one due to the hospital setting then I would prefer a heparin/saline IV lock

· I would like to be free of time limits on pushing, please discuss any interventions that you feel are necessary

· I would like to labor with lights dimmed, with music if I chose and as undisturbed as possible

· If available I would like to be able to labor in a tub or shower

· I would like to wear my contacts unless a c-section is absolutely necessary

· The only people I would like in the room during labor and the birth are Seth, my mother Patty, and as little medical personnel as possible, please no interns or unneeded staff

· I would like to be able to drink fluids and eat small healthy snacks as desired too keep energy up as long as no complications arise

· Please do not accelerate the labor process by artificially rupturing the membranes or administering drugs, if you feel this is a must please inform me of my options

· I would like to be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits as long as the baby and I are doing well

· If there is evidence of fetal distress on the external fetal monitor, we would like this to be verified with an internal fetal monitor before any action is taken

· When it is time to push I would like to do so instinctively and in whatever position feels right at the time

· As long as my baby and I are doing fine, I'd like the pushing stage to be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits

· Episiotomy to be avoided by perinea massage, hot compresses and slow delivery, please inform me if you feel an episiotomy is going to be needed to avoid a tare

· If a tare occurs please use local anesthetic to repair

· Please wait until after the cord stops pulsating to cut it unless it is medically necessary to do prior

· Baby is to be placed directly onto me before performing routine procedures unless our baby appears to have medical problems that need to be addressed immediately

· I would like to deliver the placenta unassisted -- without Pitocin, uterine massage or cord traction, if a procedure is necessary, please explain it to me prior to performing it

If a C-Section becomes absolutely medically necessary

· Please inform us of all of our options

· I would like to be placed under general anesthesia prior to any local anesthesia or other form of numbing to the surgical site

· Seth would like to be present at all times

· Seth is to stay with our baby if he must be taken elsewhere after the procedure

· I would like our baby to be in the recovery room with me as well as Seth, and my mother if possible

Immediate Newborn Care
· I would like for Seth and/or myself to be present during ALL newborn procedures

· Our baby will be seeing the on-call pediatrician while in the hospital, and we would like to meet him or her as soon as possible before or after our baby is born

· I will be breastfeeding our baby as soon as I can, therefore, in the event our baby needs to go to the nursery I would like to accompany the baby, using a wheelchair if necessary

· We do NOT wish for our baby to receive the Hep. B injection at the hospital, our baby will receive it at the first or second prenatal appointment with our pediatrician

· We are fine with the administration of the eye ointment, the Vitamin K injection given intramuscular, and the heel prick but please inform us before you start any of these procedures

· Please consult with us before administering any other drugs, eye drops, or drawing blood from our baby

· We would like our baby’s bath to be done in the room where we are, if that is not possible then Seth and/or myself will be present wherever it is being done

· Please do not give our baby bottles, pacifiers, rubber nipples, sugar water or anything else orally unless you have spoken with me and I have agreed

· Seth and I would like for our baby to stay with us non-stop in a private room throughout our stay unless we ask for our baby to be taken to the nursery

· In the event our baby needs to go to the nursery we want and expect our birth plan to continued to be honored

· If the baby is sick and needs to be monitored outside of my room, I would like for me and Seth to be with the baby as much as possible

We do not wish to have our baby circumcised (this one is the same format as everything above but for some reason it won't show as that)

April 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I am not familiar with this, but why would you go under general anesthesia prior to a c-section?

April 8th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Personal preference and I've heard better things about it even though the baby would be exposed to some of it. I'm sure my doctor would try to talk me out of it though.

April 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard GA is actually safer/better for the baby.

April 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
GoldmanBaby09's Avatar Regular
It sounds like you have covered most of your bases with your plan. My heart just aches for you in the hope that your wishes are respected. So many women end up disrespected or victimized because of inane hospital policies that have nothing to do with you or your baby. Just make sure you are firm about everything when you get there, and I might reword some of your statements so that they seem a little more forceful. I know you don't want to sound pushy, but you also want them to know you aren't screwing around and are not wishy-washy about what you want. I would look into the birth tub/shower availability before hand. If they do not have these available, you may be able to bring a tub with you.

28 weeks--Boobs and Bump

April 9th, 2009, 03:59 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only problem with requesting GA is that they as a rule do not allow the husband to be in the room when you have GA. Also, you are completely removed from the process, and will not be able to see or interact with your baby for hours.

Although I have not researched the benefits to baby in getting GA, the problems that moms experience when under GA for a c-section are very real. Mostly emotional, but still very real. I am not sure the benefits to the baby out weigh the risk to mom.

You seem to be pretty sure about your decision, and I am not trying to change your mind, I just want to make sure you know why it might not be a great idea. Go to the c-section grief forum and ask the question. Ask the moms who have already BTDT and see what they think of it.

For my c-section I had a spinal. I would choose that option again if I had to have another.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks ladies!

April 12th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I'm a little late on this, but I was looking at plans online tonight and I came across this. It's more to the point than a lot of others I have seen and looks easy to personalize.

Birthing Support & Advocacy - Birth Plans

April 12th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I'm a little late on this, but I was looking at plans online tonight and I came across this. It's more to the point than a lot of others I have seen and looks easy to personalize.

Birthing Support & Advocacy - Birth Plans

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search