Have a question about midwife

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hi Ladies,

I dont post often but I wanted to get some advice from you guys. I'm 19 weeks pregnant and am seeing a midwife at the hospital, there are 6 OB's and 1 midwife at the office.
This is my third child and I had an OB with my other 2 pregnancies and wanted to go with a midwife this time.
I see no difference at all between my other doctor and this midwife, I have very low iron with all pregnancies and she prescribed the nasty iron pills like the old doctor, when I asked her about PPD she told me about some estrogen patch and that antidepressants arent that bad.

I wanted someone with a more natural approach to everything, I have read about natural remedies especially for the PPD but she doesnt seem to believe in that.

Is this because shes in the hospital? I dont get it at all, and am kind of disappointed. Has anyone experienced this too?
Thanks for listening.

~Natalie
April 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM
noworries
Honestly, I know some OB's that are more like midwives and some midwives that are more like OB's. I'm guessing that since she practices at an office with all OB's and is at the hospital that probably is effective how she practices. Do you have any other midwife options that you could switch to?
"
April 10th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have heard of some midwives that are really no different than your typical OB and it sounds like yours might be. If you can, check into some other midwives in your area. You may be able to find a birth center in driving distance or another midwife who practices at a hospital, but with a more natural approach.

April 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I am at a practice with the exact same set-up... a bunch of OB's and one midwife, but I have come to learn that the midwife is very medically oriented. I was so shocked because with my previous pregnancy I saw a group of midwives (TRUE midwives) and it's amazing how much of a difference there can be even though the title is the same. It really sucks when you get one thing when you're hoping for another. HUGS!
April 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my hospital has 10 ob's and 6 midwives..and your midwife appt. is just kind of luck of the draw because the day you deliver, your midwife will be whomever is on call...it amazes me from month to month how different each person is....and i already know who i am HOPING is on call because she is very anti-OB approach which i like..and the one i PRAY isnt on call is really no different than an OB...I dont like that I cant pick my midwife, but it's the only midwifery service offered in driving distance....I live an hour away as it is..the next closest one is almost 2 hours away

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
GoldmanBaby09's Avatar Regular
I'm planning a home birth and have a licensed mw I see for that. Because insurance doesn't cover her, I have been getting concurrent care from a CNM at an ob's office. I have found the CNM to be similar as you have. In fact she even told me that she tries not to "rock the boat" with midwifery around the other OBs. I would suggest looking for a birth center or consider a hb if you really want someone who is going to treat your pregnancy naturally. Can diet modification not help your iron deficiency?

28 weeks--Boobs and Bump

April 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM
There are 2 birthing centers in my area, but my insurance will not cover them, so thats why I decided to go with the midwife at the hospital. If I were to switch now, we would end up losing a couple thousand dollars, because of my $2,500 deductible and then the birthing center fees on top of that.
I will have to deal with it for 21 more week, I do like her as a person, shes just not what I expected. Thanks for your help ladies!!

~Natalie
April 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
When I was preggo I had iron issues as well, I took iron pills that I got from the vitamin/health store that were a gentle women's formula. Can you get a hold of something like that? I can't remember the brand, I'm not home right now but they are in a purple box. The brand makes lots of kinds of vitamins.

I would say go with your gut and switch. You deserve to feel cared for. I switched at about 18 weeks and it was wondeful. It's never too late.

As far as PPD- my doula suggested in the first 5 minutes of our first meeting to eat a tiny piece of my placenta everyday (frozen) to regulate my hormones and keep PPD at bay. My husband basically said "good luck with that". I have a history with serious depression and mood issues. I went off meds when I got pregnant but ended going back on zoloft because I was having anxiety and massive headaches from grinding and clenching my jaw. It was an agonizing decision and part of why I switched care providors because I felt I was being dismissed and there were too many docs who didn't know me enough to be caringfor me as much as I needed. I took a low dosage , just enough to keep me stable. I continued on it to this day. I have lost chunks of my life to depression and I do respond to mess, so along with therapy and yoga and physical activity I did very well after my daughter was born. I did have some crying fits the first few weeks, but your body is going through the most major hormone shift it will ever experience, so that is not abnormal. I am very naturally inclined but this is what works for me. Zoloft is the only med suggested for pregnancy and nursing and only trace amounts go to the baby. I know my daughter needs me to be a functioning and loving mom. If you have a history that makes you worry about PPD then you should do research and decide what is best for you and your family.

Hope you stick around!!

Last edited by moon~maiden; April 13th, 2009 at 08:56 AM.
April 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I finally switched to a liquid iron supplement that I get at the wholefoods store, and its has been wonderful, my levels are up to normal and it doesnt bother my stomach like to pills do.
Thanks Cheryl for your advice about the PPD, I've never had issues with it except after I have babies. I have baby blues that dont go away for months and I hate it.
April 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not the type to eat or cook my placenta, however I am taking it and putting it in capsules to take to help with baby blues/ppd/increase milk supply/decrease pp bleeding and to get my iron up. Its got great health benefits---so I see the value-I just couldn't eat it. LOL
April 12th, 2009, 09:35 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
that's a good idea Angela!
April 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Honestly, I could never eat my placenta either. I have considered having it put into capsules, but dont know who I could find to do that. I dont want to do it myself, but would take the capsules if someone else did them.
April 13th, 2009, 07:56 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like you are seeing a 'medwife' which is essentially a 'wolf in sheeps clothing'. She will treat you exactly the same as an OB and will push all the same interventions as an OB in the end. Look at who pays her checks, the OBs she works for. She is not autnomous and must do what they tell her too.

If I were you I would find some way of swtiching to a real midwife. Look and see if you qualitfy for Mediciad, the rules are different when you are pregnant, and they do pay for birth centers or even home birth.

Even if I had to pay out of pocket, it would be worth it to me.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 13th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Double post

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Last edited by NutMeg76; April 13th, 2009 at 08:07 AM.
April 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Ugh, triple post!

Sail Back to Me
April 14th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I'm sorry that you ended up with a medwife instead of a midwife. That blows. But, they are out there. So, just because they are called a midwife, doesn't mean they act like one.

Bummer about the insurance thing, too. I would be really hesitant to switch practices at this point, too, if it were going to be as costly as you're suggesting. Can you call your insurance co and see if you have any other options?

April 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like her hands are tied by the doctors she practices with...I'm sorry she's not what you were hoping for I'm glad the liquid iron is working for you, though.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

April 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
so many CNMs are like that, unfortunatly! Keep doing your own research, and natural things certainly do work, usually without all the side effects of meds!

to up your iron you can use a combination of diet and supplements. Start really eating iron rick foods, that can really help.

oh- and chiropractic care can be really good for baby blues- it is amazing what a difference proper alignment can make.

since it would be too expensive to switch to a better care provider you can look into consulting with a homeopathic DR to get advice on remedies for PPH and low iron- it'll be out of pocket, but still a lot less.

April 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the great advice, I have an appointment tomorrow morning and I want to talk to her a little more about my labor or other things; we'll see how that goes.
I'm also really curious what she will say about the ultrasound I has last week, (Theres another post about that) The doctor that did the ultrasound said she wanted to change my due date and wants me to do another ultrasound in 3 weeks to make sure the baby is growing right. I honestly dont want to do another one because I dont think its necessary, and theres really nothing they can do except change the due date, so there no point to do more ultrasounds (i'm not that convinced that they are as safe as they say they are)
I will see tomorrow. Thanks again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search