Ultrasound accuracy

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I had an ultrasound this Wednesday when I was exactly 19 weeks, while checking the baby she asked me if I was sure about my due date. She said the baby was measuring at 18 weeks and 1 day, everything else looks normal and healthy and the baby was sooo active, but was measuring smaller.

So they moved my due date a whole week back, I'm positive about the day that I ovulated and conceived, but the doctor that did the ultrasound said that I could have made a mistake and ovulated later than I thought I did. I know for sure that I ovulated on the 10th of December and got a positive on a pregnancy test 11 days later.

So is something wrong with the baby? Or can ultrasounds be off this early. I know they can be off towards the end of pregnancy, but at 19 weeks?

I'm telling myself not to freak out and that everything is okay with the baby, but it still makes me wonder, and it bugs me that they moved my due date a whole week back.

~Natalie
April 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My ultrasounds have always been really accurate..its weird we're almost 2 weeks apart for EDD because I had my IUI on December 8 and got my +hpt on the 20th of december, but my EDD is August 28!

I'm sure everything is fine with your LO...you could have implanted late or something..if something was wrong they would have seen it on the u/s and talked to you about it

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
as far as I know the most accurate ones are really early in pregnancy, like around 6-8 weeks.

Mine at 20 weeks was very inaccurate , they moved my DD week earlier which I know is not possible, just means that my baby is BIG (yet again LOL), though as far as I am concerned that baby will probably come at that time anyway LOLOLOL.

April 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Babies grow differently! The farther along you get, the less accurate the ultrasound becomes at dating. My baby was measuring 1-2 weeks ahead at my 19 week ultrasound, but no one, from the ultrasound tech to my midwife doubted that my charting due date was correct.

April 10th, 2009, 11:37 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you know your O date---GO WITH THAT! Ultrasounds aren't great for dating that late in the game. Babies just like to grow and sleep on their own schedules
April 10th, 2009, 11:48 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
^ ditto!

And the date they're giving you is still less than a week off from your date so I don't really think it's a big deal or anything to worry about. Just like when they're born, some babies are bigger and some are smaller, they don't all come out the same size. Hang in there!
April 11th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't worry about it too much. And when it's all said and done the EDD is just an estimate. The baby really doesn't care when the doctor says you're due, Baby is going to come when he/she is ready. I know that ultrasounds can vary quite a bit, I wouldn't think every baby would grow exactly the same.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
April 11th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think at 19 weeks, an u/s can be innacurrate. Anything before 10-12 weeks is the most accurate. If you know when you ovulated, then there's nothing to worry about. I'd rather see a DD moved back than forward, because there is less risk of getting induced too early.

Expecting baby #4!

April 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
I say, you know when you Ovulated so I'd go with that! Its most accurate at the beginning, and all babies grow differently.

April 11th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I think at 19 weeks, an u/s can be innacurrate. Anything before 10-12 weeks is the most accurate. If you know when you ovulated, then there's nothing to worry about. I'd rather see a DD moved back than forward, because there is less risk of getting induced too early.
I agree! If someone tried to move my due date earlier, I'd probably throw a little fit because of the risk of going "over" and getting pressure to induce. Moving it later? That just gives you a little more wiggle room.

Even though I would still be telling people the right date.

April 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Regular
I used to be an ultrasound tech. Those who posted that the earlier the ultrasounds are (6-12 weeks) the more accurate they are, are exactly right. If you had an earlier ultrasound your doctor should stick to that date. The further along you get the harder it is to get accurate measurements and depending on how the baby is laying affects the measurements as well. Where I worked we always stuck with the early ultrasound dating and used any additional ultrasounds to make sure that that baby was growing "on track" but we never changed the due date. You are still well within the "normal" growth curve with only 6 days difference between your calculations and what was actually measured so, in my opinion you are doing just fine.

April 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Thank you all for making me feel better, I think I knew that everything was okay and its perfectly normal to be off on the ultrasound but I need to hear it from others.
My midwifes office sends all their patients to another office to do an ultrasound and after the ultrasound, that doctor come in and talks to you about your ultrasound, I guess it bugged me that a doctor I've never met before could just change my due date without even caring about what I was saying about my dates. I didnt have an ultrasound at the beginning, this was my first, so thats why I go off the ovulation date.

I dont really care if they move the due date back, my baby will come when it wants to, it gives me an extra week if I go past my due date, so they dont push to induce me. I just wanted to make sure that the baby was ok. I keep saying "the baby" because we wanted a surprise this time around, and didnt find out the sex. Thanks.

~Natalie

Last edited by EmmaMattysMama; April 11th, 2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: cant spe
April 11th, 2009, 05:28 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Yeah, it sounds like you made out all right with an extra week to play with!
April 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would love for them to add a week to my pregnancy so I have an extra week to play with! (I thought you meant back like back the other way! LOL)
April 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Oh, I guess it was kind of confusing how I said it, sorry!! I do have an extra week, so I guess I should be happy about that
April 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily measured a week behind at her gender u/s (i think it was at 18 weeks, and she measured at 17). I had to go back to get a level II u/s done because the first one didn't show her heart clearly and it was 2 weeks later. She measured 1 day behind the original date at that one, so she either grew a ton or they just aren't that accurate at that point.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search