Anyone have a natural hospital delivery?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
So, if you've read my other post you know I am no longer able to deliver at the birth center in the hospital but now have to go to regular L & D. I'm not going to lie that I'm terrified!!

Has anyone else had a natural delivery at the hospital? Was it easier or harder than you thought? How were you treated? I want to know your experience... the good and the bad!

Thanks!
April 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Lots of ladies here have. I think it depends on the nurses and staff, but you have a doula and she will be your best guide thru it all and your cheerleader and advocate.

Any progress since yesterday? any luck getting the TENS to work?

April 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM
^ can't get the TENS to work, I think it's too old and my husband probably didn't take the best care of it... it's been over to Iraq and back a few times, LOL

My back is actually killing me today, I'm almost wondering if I'm having prelabor in my back but am trying not to think of it so I don't get disappointed if nothing happens. I had a ton of back labor with my DD though, so we'll see. A few more contractions but still nothing regular. But I'm holding out all hope that something will happen before my next appt. It's nice outside so I'm going to try to do as much walking as I can handle.
April 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Oh good! I hope the walk does you well Did you check the battery in the TENS?

April 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Brennen was born in a hospital and so was my daughter back in 2004. Both NCB.

I made it clear to the nurses that I did not want to be offered any pain medication and was planning a NCB. Luckily, this time around, the hospital my midwives deliver at is VERY supportive and NCB friendly. I was very impressed (so was DH) with how great the nurses were with Brennen. When my contractions were really intense, right before I pushed, one nurse stayed with me and massaged my hips and lower back during the contractions...that felt amazing! It really helped. They were very good about encouraging me through the end when I was just so exhuasted and thought I wasn't going to make it. One nurse even laughed when I said I don't think I can do this anymore I'm too tired and said "honey, I get off at 7 pm and I've been with you all day. You're going to have this baby before I leave!"
Since I made it clear that I didn't want them to ask about pain or offer anything other than the tub, massage, etc. they stuck to it. I couldn't have asked for better care.

ETA: You may want to ask for a nurse who is experienced with NCB. My midwives let the hospital know before I even arrived that I preferred a nurse experienced with NCB and waterbirths.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

Last edited by sillyp; April 11th, 2009 at 09:10 AM.
April 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Courtney was a natural hospital birth. I think I only even saw a nurse 3 times during labor. The only thing I didn't like was that they "had" to do a 20 minute strip monitoring a few times during labor, which was a PAIN. Other than that, my midwife talked to the nurses and I never once had them really even talk to me. no one tried to do an IV or anything.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I have! I chose a small hosp that was farther away but was more natural friendly. My nurse was terrible so I just concentrated on my doula. I didn't let them take Cadie from the room ever and we watched the nurses carefully to make sure they didn't do anything we didn't want them to. We also only stayed one night, but I came home with a terrible cold. That was a bummer. That was one of the factors in him wanting a home birth next time!! So make sure they are washing their hands!

You CAN do this!! I suggest having another talk with your doula and make sure she is clear about what is really important to you, especially about your environment. My doula was great but I wish she had taken more initiative in that way. No one dimmed the lights or anything like that, and I was unable to communicate or even tell what I needed. I wish she had me sit on the ball. Little things like that. Her job is even more important now.
April 11th, 2009, 11:58 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Yes you can! I was sooo nervous going into it, but I had a great experience!
I just wrote out a very clear birth plan (Heather does want- before, during, and after birth.... Heather does NOT want- before, during, and after birth...etc) My husband was as adamant as I, that our wishes be heeded...He was a wonderful advocate!
Fortunately my hospital was very NCB friendly! So we really didn't have any problems...Don't let it scare you too much...it's really not bad! You know what you want, and why you want it, so just make sure you have someone there to be your voice...You CAN do this!

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; April 11th, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
April 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
noworries
Eva was born in a hospital and it was the best experience I think I could have had. The hospital I had her at is NCB friendly and my nurse was awesome. I couldn't have asked for a better hospital experience. I hope you can say the same after little Evan is born.
April 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I did twice. The first was great. I really enjoyed that experience. The second would have been great if i didn't have an OB, the nurse I had was WONDERFUL. Shedidn't push drugs, she talked with the other nurses on things to help my labor without pitocin, she offerend me the breast pump and birthing ball. She warned me when the doctor was coming and what he was going to try to push on me so I could make my gameplan, then she would say, 'I didn't ell you that though'. She was awesome, my butthead doctor was the problem. I still had no pain meds, but did have AROM and pitocin.

I am planning a hospital birth again. I switched to a homebirth midwife group with privledges at a hospital. I can't wait. I will even get to labor in the tub. I have to have CFM, state law for VBAC, but they have a waterproof telemetry!!!!

I think if your doctor is open to NCB practices a hospital birth is totally doable. Like someone already said ask for the nurse that is NCB friendly, it will make you day better. And if you don't like the nurse they assign to you ask for a new one.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately I ended up not having a NCB... but the hospital was very supportive and wonderful about my choice until the baby was in danger. I think it all comes down to the staff that is there when you give birth!

April 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily was delivered at a hospital and it went pretty well. She was delivered by a CNM because that was who was on call at the moment. Everyone was really supportive of me going natural except for one nurse who put a heplock in me even when I said no. She literally stabbed it into my arm as I was pulling away! But they replaced her with another nurse and everything was fine after that.

I did have pretty much every nurse in the L&D area come into my room after the birth to say congrats because they very rarely see someone go natural at that hospital.

April 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my first 2 NCB were in hospital, but I made it clear , very very clear what I want and dont want when we got there (I had birth plan and doula ...)

April 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the stories ladies, I feel SO much better and much more empowered now
April 11th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I had a NCB at the hospital with my son, and I really enjoyed it. I was also terrified that the nurses would push me to have an epideral and not support my decision but it was totally the opposite of that. My nurse was awesome; when I told her I wanted to go all natural, she never asked me if I wanted pain meds and did everything she could to help me do it naturally.
I did have to have an IV and baby was monitored all the time, but that was because I had meconium in my water when it broke at home.
So its totally possible, just tell them what you want, and I'm sure the nurses and doctors will be supportive. Good luck to you.

~Natalie
April 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had DD at a free standing birth center, but this little girl will be born at a hospital. There isn't a birth center close enough to us now. I have been very nervous about the hospital, but my midwife said they are wonderful and will respect all of our wishes. I trust my midwife and also my husband's ability to stand up for baby and I.

Hope everything works out well at the hospital for you!

April 12th, 2009, 12:57 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a natural hospital with Noah and plan to have the same this time (have to go to the hospital due to that small complication with Noah). We dont have OBs delivering here unless its a c-section. We have midwives here (which are free due to our health system), most encourage you to try everything before taking an epi

April 12th, 2009, 06:58 AM
~ Ada ~'s Avatar Zen
My last delivery was in a hospital and it followed the procedure of pretty much what my midwife has described to me. I came around 7pm at 4 cm dilated, had a heparin lock and my water broken, and it was only one doctor and a nurse who actually let me labor till I called for them around 10 when I felt the urge to push. Henry came so fast that my husband and nurse delivered the baby. What may have been in my favor was that this hospital was in a small town, believe it or not I had just switched OB's 2 weeks prior, but they were understanding as to why I had switched from the "bigger, fancier" hospital and I am thrilled they let me labor in peace, without the constraints of tied down monitoring, and none of that dreaded pitocin.

I think the type of hospital birth depends on L & D staff, what I have observed with subsequent birth's is that as long as I promised not to deliver the baby in the tub, they pretty much left me alone till I called, plus my husband is a hawk when it came to delivery, he would not leave my side and had no problem getting loud when needed .

I understand your frustration, but I'd approach the hospital birth with an open but firm mind to your wishes, they do after all have to get your informed consent for whatever they want to do with your body and baby.

A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another.
If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden.
But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden.

~ Buddha

April 12th, 2009, 09:58 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first was a NCB in a hospital and it went really great! I think it really helped to have a nurse that was very pro-NCB! I didn't think to request one but I really lucked out. I think she was more excited about me going natural than I was! LOL The first thing she asked me was if I had taken any classes and when I said hypnobirthing her face just lit up! She told me that she was as determined as I was to do this and she wouldn't offer/give me meds even if I begged her! LOL She was really great! I only saw the OB on call probably twice before he was born. I think you'll have a great experience!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

April 13th, 2009, 04:21 AM
momofemnry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had 3 NCB at a hos[ital. All were good experiences and I was treated awesome! I was pretty much left alone

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search