41 wk appt today & update

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2009, 05:07 AM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Sat. night I was up from 9pm til 3am with contractions about 6-8 mins apart, not unbearable but good ones. I layed down after doing some things around the house and putting the last min stuff in my bag. I got up after an hour or so and NOTHING was going on. I was so upset and frustrated, this is the third time this has happened in 2 weeks where contractions were that regular and strong and then just stopped. I guess I just don't understand why my body won't keep the contractions going? How can I have contractions for hours, along with back pain, going to the bathroom all the time, plus just having that feeling that "this is it".... and it just stop and be nothing??? I think I sound like a big baby right now and I hate that but it's really getting exhausting. I know he will come when he's ready but it's so hard when things keep starting and stopping. I want to get the show on the road!!!

My doula did say that long bouts of on-and-off contractions occur when your body is trying to rotate the baby into a good position, which makes sense. Evan is head down but it does seem like he favors the left side of my stomach. I have done a ton of lunges and squats so I don't think those are really helping if this keeps happening. Also, how long can this go on for? I just wonder what happens after all these contractions and he doesn't move? Will true labor ever start if he's not in a favorable position?

I do have an appt today at 2pm for another u/s, NST, and meeting with a dr. I'm pretty sure they are going to discuss induction. I'm just a mix of emotions regarding what I want, what's best, etc. It's draining...
April 13th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm so sorry Jess. Try to hang in there. I know this must be so tough on you. Please update us when you get back home. Sending you lots and lots of ELV!!! HUGS!!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

April 13th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
That sounds so frustrating! I hope your appointment goes well! KUP!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

April 13th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Im so sorry. The same thing happened when I was pregnant with Emme. I really hope Evan decides to come out today!!!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
April 13th, 2009, 07:01 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I normally have about 2 weeks of prodromal labor, every night for hours before 'real' labor starts. Have you gone to spinningbabies.com? It is VERY likely that baby is not in a 100% favorable position and that is why your body is doing the off-on again contractions. If that is the case induction is NOT a good idea because the lieklihood of poor postioning causing probelms is very high, and could result in the use of vacuum.forceps or c-section.

Do what you can to help baby get in a better position. And know that it is perfectly normal to have prodromal labor. Also look deep and see if there is something that is holding you back, any fear or un-resolved issues that are keeping labor from happening? If not, if you know deep down you are ready, the best think is to let it go, rest as much as possible at night, even use something to help you sleep, I prefer to have a half a glass of beer or wine, but we all know that is 'horrible' so Benadryl is okay too. And then stay active during the day.

No one will stay pregnant forever, it is impossible. Keep your chin up. You can do this!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 13th, 2009, 07:45 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Good luck at your appt. I hope you NST goes well. I would be super frustrated at this point as well, do not feel bad.

April 13th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablepearl View Post
I normally have about 2 weeks of prodromal labor, every night for hours before 'real' labor starts. Have you gone to spinningbabies.com? It is VERY likely that baby is not in a 100% favorable position and that is why your body is doing the off-on again contractions. If that is the case induction is NOT a good idea because the lieklihood of poor postioning causing probelms is very high, and could result in the use of vacuum.forceps or c-section.

Do what you can to help baby get in a better position. And know that it is perfectly normal to have prodromal labor. Also look deep and see if there is something that is holding you back, any fear or un-resolved issues that are keeping labor from happening? If not, if you know deep down you are ready, the best think is to let it go, rest as much as possible at night, even use something to help you sleep, I prefer to have a half a glass of beer or wine, but we all know that is 'horrible' so Benadryl is okay too. And then stay active during the day.

No one will stay pregnant forever, it is impossible. Keep your chin up. You can do this!
I have been to that website and have been doing a few of the moves, plus the lunges and squats that I mentioned. NOTHING is getting him to move, he has been more to one side for weeks now.

And there isn't anything holding me back that I'm consciously aware of. Of course it would be nice if my husband were going to be here but I have been prepared for that this whole pregnancy so that's nothing new. I am SO ready so I can't think of anything holding me back.
April 13th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Hmm, just read this on spinningbabies.com:

An optimal, or ideal, fetal position is when the baby’s back is to the front or left of the mother.

In a nut shell, the anterior fetal position has the back of the baby's head (the occiput bone) in the front, or anterior, of the mother. The left occiput anterior baby faces the mother's right hip (back of baby's head to mother's left) and then, in active labor, turns to face the mother's back during an "anterior" labor. Occiput Anterior and Left Occiput Anterior are both ideal fetal positions.

This is exactly how he's positioned (left occiput anterior) so it doesn't seem like positioning should be the problem afterall...
April 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Could it be his head position? My son was ansyclitic (however you spell it) so hishead was tipped with his ear towards his shoulder. He ended up being a forceps delivery, they got his head linged up and then I pushed him out. Maybe do one of the inversions and then he can settle back with his head the right way?

I wonder if you doctor and the 'threats' of induction/big baby, etc. are playing a part here? Even the idea of switching to the hospital and not being in the birth center? Just ideas. Maybe write it all out, a letter to DH about how it made you feel when teh doctor told you these things and even mentioned the c-section? You might find something that you are holding on to that you haven't expressed yet.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM
The only thing about doing one of the inversions is that it says not to do them if you have extra amniotic fluid which I was told that I do. And also as of 2 weeks ago his head was not engaged (forgot to ask last week). I'll find out today and then try it tonight if it's safe.

And you're probably right about the looming threats of induction and c-section. I was very disappointed about not being able to birth at the birth center but feel I have come to terms with that and am confident that I will do fine in L & D. Of course an induction or c-section scare me because I want another wonderful NCB like I had with my daughter, yet I'm also so ready to have this over with. I feel like it won't be fair if I need to be induced or have a c-section because my son will get an intervention birth that ideally I would like to avoid. And then I bonded so well with my daughter because of the natural delivery that I know I worry about things not being the same. I'm trying to tell myself that as long as he gets here that's all that matters, but it's hard convincing myself of that when I so badly want another NCB. I guess you figured me out, there are a lot of worries. Like I said before, I'm just so torn on everything now. Maybe I should buy a bottle of wine tonight, LOL.
April 13th, 2009, 09:00 AM
~ Ada ~'s Avatar Zen
I am sorry you are going through all this and really have no advice as to why your labor
would start and stop. I can't say for sure if this helped or not, but I did get a massage
(especially around the feet) the day I went into labor. Are you dilated any yet?

A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another.
If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden.
But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden.

~ Buddha

April 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry Hun! Meghan had some great ideas about mental blocks you might have. And Ada's suggestion of a massage is great. Can you find someone (professional or otherwise) to do acupressure points around your feet and ankles that are known to trigger labor? I know you've already been to acupunture so if that didn't work than the acupressure might not either. But worth a try.

I hope your appointment goes okay today. Do whatever feels right in your heart.
April 13th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Ada - I'm 4cm dilated as of Friday
April 13th, 2009, 09:49 AM
~ Ada ~'s Avatar Zen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLuck View Post
Ada - I'm 4cm dilated as of Friday
How far dilated do you need to be before they'll do anything? I thought 4 cm was the standard . But from your description of contractions hopefully today is the day and you are dilated enough to labor on your own with minimal intervention.

A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another.
If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden.
But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden.

~ Buddha

April 13th, 2009, 10:37 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
at least you know that you're already so far dilated before labor even starts! The first 4 cm are the longest almost always, and you're just skipping them.

I hope baby arrives soon. A few things you could do is take a nice relaxing spa day, even at home. And even though full on sex is out with DH away you can still have an orgasm, which really can be a great labor starter. Plus it reduces stress and feels good.

April 13th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Well maybe all of this "practice" will do something good and once labor actually starts it'll be easy and fast! But I imagine it's very frusterating!

Facebook
April 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I do have to say, I endure weeks of prodromal, start stop labor, but my active labor is only about 4 hours! So that is a promising thing to think about.

Sail Back to Me
April 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I do have to say, I endure weeks of prodromal, start stop labor, but my active labor is only about 4 hours! So that is a promising thing to think about.

Sail Back to Me
April 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
any update from the dr's appt yet?

April 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope your doctor doesn't pressure you into induction just yet. Hopefully you get a chance to update after your appt!

Expecting baby #4!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search