New to the Board

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Hello All!

My name is Danielle, wife to Billy, and I am pregnant with our first child. We are having a girl - to be called Claire, and she is due on the 31st of July (although it's August 1st by my calculations). I am using a midwifery practice in Northern Virginia (5 CNM's), and I am really hoping for a NCB. I have to deliver in a hospital (DH is terrified of CB ) and my DH is loving and wants me to have whatever I want and need - but is not-so-secretly convinced that I will never be able to manage an unmedicated birth. I have gotten a similar response from my mother (an OB ) and my in-laws. So I thought I would pop over from the Aug DDC and join this board for the support and encouragement I'm not really getting at home. I look forward to getting to know everyone!!!

Danielle

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 14th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome!

April 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Hi Danielle! Welcome to our board. We are expecting our first girl in June What have you done so far in preparations for a natural childbirth? (books, classes, doula, etc) I am sorry your mother and DH are not more supportive of a NCB, but glad you are at a great midwife practice

April 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
noworries
Welcome and Congrats. If you prepare yourself, I have no doubt that you can have the natural birth that you want. You won't regret it. I'm Carrie, wife to Aaron, mommy to Eva (almost 16 months old) and expecting baby #2 in late November/early December. Looking forward to getting to know you.
April 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
wow, you really need a support system. I'm sorry everyone is so negative, that's tough. Support is a big part of success. We will do as much as we can!

I suggest reading "the thinking women's guide to a better birth" by Henci Goer, and "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin. These are out favorites here. Maybe your hubby can look them over too?

I'm Cheryl, co-host here and mom to Acadia, born Jan 08. Thanks for joining us!
April 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I agree with the others suggestions, prepare yourself and you will do great!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 15th, 2009, 07:20 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board! You CAN do it, just ignore their ignorant comments!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

So far I have read several books, essays, and watched some childbirth videos. My favorite book so far has been Gentle Birth Choices by Harper and Arms. I also am taking a prenatal pilates class to encourage flexibility of the pelvis and spine and core strength. We are signed up for (but have not started yet) an 8 hour class series called "Birthing with a midwife" that's offered through my midwives' office. I will definitely order the two books you suggested and read them (I'm an avid reader and it will save me from reading the Mayo Clinic book for a third time ), and I am also considering the hypnobirthing class that was mentioned in another post on this board.

I am undecided on hiring a doula because my mom is planning on being with me during the labor (though not for delivery per DH's and my wishes), and she knows everything there is to know about laboring naturally since she is a very old-fashioned OB. I'm just not sure she has the right attitude or not.

Honestly, that's one of the things that has been the most hurtful in all this is that I grew up listening to her rail about the medicalization of childbirth and how natural birth was beautiful and most interventions were unecessary. So I really expected her to be supportive and pleased with my decision. But she wanted me to deliver with an OB instead of midwives; she mocked my assertion that I didn't want a medicated delivery; and she laughs dismissively when I talk about my childbirth classes. I just wasn't expecting such a negative reaction, and it's hurtful and confusing.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Wow. I am so sorry at the reaction from your mother. I would definitely look into hypnobabies home study and even have your mother look thru it and maybe listen to some of it. It seems like you are preparing yourself well, you just need to get everyone else on board! My only concern would be that your mother would inhibit relaxation by questioning the midwives, your progress, or the care during childbirth and that inhibition could slow your progress or stall it. Which would be a good reason to have a doula, or the hypnobabies cds to listen to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search