Why??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
.adi.
Why would you put yourself through this??

There's a lady from siggiesrus who just had a failed induction so we're talking about it. One of the ladies said this: "I had 2 failed inductions, 48+ hours of contractions with pitocin (and cervadil every 12 hours) and only progressed 1cm."

Why would you put yourself and your baby through that? wouldn't you think that was your body/baby saying they need more time?
April 21st, 2009, 03:02 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Did they say why they were induced or how far along they were?

April 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM
noworries
That's what I was wondering too. Was there a medical reason for the induction (like pre-e or something)?
April 21st, 2009, 03:10 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Lots of people do it for "convenience" reasons. I would only consent as a last resort when I or baby's life was in danger and it was an induction or a c-section. That's how it went with Coral (granted I was already at 5cm and they were using pitocin to speed things along - at least I avoided an epidural!) I don't understand people's reasoning behind a lot of things.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
April 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Some people don't even think of it that way. Usually thier doctor has them covinced it was because thier body failed them or was never capable of dilating, instead of just not being ready.

April 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Andi here, only because I was that woman once.
With my first born son, I was 20 years old and very naive. I had some complications (my water leaked 2 months prematurely) and gained a lot of weight so my OB had me convinced I was having an 11 pound baby and that we needed to induce at 37 weeks. I was on pitocin for 2 days and had cervidil 2 nights in a row. It was hell and I honestly regret not having been more educated on childbirth, but what can I do about that now. I didn't even start dilating untilt he 2nd day after the 2 nights of cervidil and being on pitocin for over 24 hours. By about 44 hours into the induction, my OB said I was going to have to have a c-section. I don't know if she scared the baby out of me or what, but thank goodness about 30 minutes after she said (while she went to eat dinner) I went from about 6 cm to fully dilated and needed to start pushing. After 45 minutes of pushing my 9 lb 3 oz (not 11!) baby was born.
My recovery was AWFUL and I'm not sure if it was because I had to have the epidural twice since it didn't take but to one side at first or because of the intense contractions my body endured for 2 days, but it was just flat out AWFUL. I looked like someone had beat me up and could hardly walk for a week. It was the worst experience.

Anyway, just an example of how if women don't educate themselves on pregnancy and childbirth things can be so hard on us and we can be stripped of the awesome experience that childbirth is and should be.

I do think that a lot of women just let their frustrations with pregnancy lead to a convenience based induction as well.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

April 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
.adi.
Before I had Marcus I tried to get my dr's to induce me for convenience but luckily they told me that they woulnd't induce before 41 weeks. So I told them we'll set my induction for 41 weeks 6 days since DH would be gone for the week I was 41 weeks. I went on my own on exactly 41 weeks and Marcus had some breathing problems that he wouldn't have gotten over nearly as quickly had he been any earlier so I'm now one of those that's always telling people my story and trying to get them to see the "baby and body not being ready" side
April 22nd, 2009, 05:42 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I think for a lot of first-timers, it seems soooooo seductive to have that baby in your arms that much faster! They've never been through labor (and probably don't know as much as they should about it), so they don't realize everything they are risking by giving in to the urge to be able to hold baby a few days sooner.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 22nd, 2009, 05:45 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
That must have been really rough. I feel bad for people who suffer like that.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

April 22nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know why. What is bad is that some women when they experience a situation like this will say they can't deliver vaginally, that they don't go into labor, etc. But I highly doubt that to be true.

I was talking to someone a few weeks ago that said his wife's body does not go into labor so she has to have c-sections. She doesn't react to oxytocin. She had a few days of prodromal labor with her first and then again wiht her second. When they gave her pit with the first she ended up with a c-section. She had large babies. Anyone who has given birth to a larg ebaby vaginally knows that pro-fromal labor is very likely as the body works extra to get the baby into position. I think if she had a midwife with patience, she would have been able to deliver vaginally. But now she has had 3 c-sections, so the chance of that with her large babies, all over 10 pounds, there is little chance for her.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Veteran
You know, it's a good thing we have inductions. I don't think you guys really understand. See, I used to volunteer in a nursing home. It was so sad seeing all these 80 year old women still carrying their babies because their bodies didn't go into labor. If you ever saw that, you'd all be signing up for inductions.

ETA: Sorry.... couldn't resist!!! hehehehe

April 22nd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do think birth is one of those classic cases of "When you know better, you do better." So many women just don't understand the reasons for and ramifications of things like that.

I feel so blessed that I stumbled across a certain crunchy site a couple years ago. It got me started reading and now I am a junkie about birth knowledge. I was just looking for a Gyn who wouldn't roll her eyes because I was charting! I had never even heard of homebirth/considered NCB.

There but for the grace of God go I. I could totally be that women if not for some random link.

April 22nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
You know, it's a good thing we have inductions. I don't think you guys really understand. See, I used to volunteer in a nursing home. It was so sad seeing all these 80 year old women still carrying their babies because their bodies didn't go into labor. If you ever saw that, you'd all be signing up for inductions.

ETA: Sorry.... couldn't resist!!! hehehehe
lmao
honostly.. I was induced as I have said before. I was 42 1/2 weeks pg though. Would she have came on her own? I am sure she would have...
She had meconium in the water and well she was done.... but... I bet she would have came in the next day or two on her own.. well most likely. lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search