2 week PP check up

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a visit with my midwife today for my 2 week postpartum visit.
First off.... I've already dropped 26 of the 31 pounds I gained during my pregnancy! So excited about that!!! I knew I had lost a good bit because I can fit into most of my clothes that I was wearing prepregnancy, but didn't expect it to be that much. Oh and I was told I can start "easing" back into working out and then by 4 weeks PP I can work on getting back in to my normal routine, woo hoo! Very happy about that...I miss the gym! I had heard that exercise could sometimes effect your milk supply ad my midwife said that is not true, just to be sure I had plenty of fluids and up my water intake even more when I do get back into it. She encouraged it and said I would feel even better than I do already (but I knew that).

Secondly, we discussed birth control options. I honestly do not feel comfortable counting on just breastfeeding as birth control and really don't want to avoid having sex at certain times, etc. She wants me to call her at 6 weeks postpartum and then I have another check up at 8 weeks. I asked about the mini pill and she doesn't really prescribe that to her patients. I'm terrible about taking pills at the same time everyday, so that probably wouldn't be a good option anyway. She talked a good bit about Mirena and I asked questions about developing cysts or bleeding problems, etc. that I have read about.
Anyway, so I have until my 8 week appt. to make a decision. Originally DH and I had talked about him having a vasectomy after Brennen was born, but I've had a major change of heart and don't want either of us to do anything permanent. I would hate for us to change our minds several years from now and not be able to have more children. At one point in time I really thought 3 was enough and was pretty sure I was done having children, but now that Brennen is here, I'm not so sure anymore.

Well enough rambling! Has anyone else used Mirena or an IUD in the past? I'd be interested in your thoughts.
!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

April 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
noworries
Wow on the weight loss! Sounds like everything is going really well. I don't have any advice on the birth control. Hopefully some of the other ladies will be able to help you out with that.
April 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
W00t to you on the weight loss!!!! I am down 9lbs from my pre-pg weight thus far. I don't know anything about BC b/c I've never been on it. I'd love to start going to the Y but I have no idea where I'd have time for it. We should get together sometime this week since it will be so nice outside.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
~Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"~
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"~
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

April 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
sounds great!!

personall, I don't take hormonal BC - it makes me totally crazy and depressed. I did try an IUD once and my body rejected it. It's good about the mini pill, it's is VERY bad for your supply. I wouldn't use mirena, but that's just me. We use condoms!! Weird eh? I will get my tubes tied after our next.
April 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't have a problem just using condoms but DH is "yeah, right!"
Not to mention we'd probably have to invest in stock in a condom company, hehe!

April 22nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear everything is going so well!

I had a copper IUD for 4 years, never had any problems. Two cycles after it was out I got my BFP. I don't like and my body doesn't deal well with the hormonal forms of B/C.

April 23rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I had two Mirena IUDs over the course of 7 years and plan on going back to one after baby is born. I thought it was GREAT! I really did not have any side effects except a lack of period for the first year or so, then very light periods after that for the most part. I got pregnant 1.5 cycles off the Mirena.

April 23rd, 2009, 08:35 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I don't use BC either and we use condoms. Sorry I'm not much help there either.

Congrats on losing all that baby weight! I bet you look great!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

April 23rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
I had two Mirena IUDs over the course of 7 years and plan on going back to one after baby is born. I thought it was GREAT! I really did not have any side effects except a lack of period for the first year or so, then very light periods after that for the most part. I got pregnant 1.5 cycles off the Mirena.
Thanks Mere! I found some really good experiences in the BC forum last night, too. I'm pretty sure this is the way I'm going to go for now.

I just called the insurance company and they cover the cost of the Mirena 100% since I've already met our deductible for the year (thanks to having Brennen). So I'll only have to pay a $25 co-pay for the actualy visit to the doc for the insertion of the IUD.

April 23rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
That's nice, I had to pay for the actual Mirena both times If you have any questions about it or concerns, feel free to PM me

April 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
"Not to mention we'd probably have to invest in stock in a condom company, hehe"

Ha!
April 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
"Not to mention we'd probably have to invest in stock in a condom company, hehe"

Ha!
April 24th, 2009, 10:40 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Were condom users too so I can't help much but I do have some friends that have had really bad experiences with IUDs. But if you have a good OB, it probably makes a world of difference!
April 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Yay for good apt. and on the weight loss!
Never used BC, so I'm no help, sorry...Sounds like you've got it figured out though...Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search