We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I know it's early for me to worry about this, but I'm a worrier - what can I say? My bp has been a bit higher lately than I would like. Several women in my family have had bp that started going up in the 6th month and then just steadily rose until the end. A couple ended up with an ER c/s because they developed pre-eclampsia. And several of the others had docs who convinced them to go with a scheduled c/s because they were told their bp would not withstand the stresses of labor without entering dangerous levels. So here is my question,
IF my bp continues to rise as theirs did (they think it's genetic, but aren't sure what is causing it), do you think I would have better chances going with an induction before my bp hits danger levels or waiting for spontaneous labor and risking the c/s if the bp should spike during labor? Obviously, my midwives' recommendation will weigh heavily in this scenario, but I wanted to know what you guys thought.
My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
I think it depends on your body as to how well an induction will go. If your body and baby aren't ready to be born, you could end up in a c/s anyway. Have you looked into the Brewer Pregnancy Diet? I've heard it can be super helpful in pregnancy induced high bp. I would seriously give that a shot before I'd consider being induced for sure.
diet is really important. Many OB's will not tell you at all how to prevent. Even my midwives, when I was preggo and had very high protein levels in my urine, didn't tell me anything except to call them if I started seeing white dots or feeling faint. Luckily my doula helped- I had to really up my protein levels, increase my water intake, and lay off the salt. It helped me! I still had protein in my urine, but it went down and it never got worse.
I say start being proactive now and keep the problem at bay. Pre-E is serious. Check out the brewer's diet!
You don't want pre-e, but do take heart! It's not an automatic c-section sentence.I had nasty pre-e and a bunch of other problems at 29 weeks and although it wasn't ideal, I was able to have pitocin and deliver vaginally, pain-med-free (at 30 weeks, but we had a lot of uncontrollable issues going on). I would try the diet like these ladies suggested, and just take it easy!!
Heidi, mama to 5 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
I also had high blood pressure that started at 28 weeks. My doctor's didn't take it very seriously until I was 34 weeks. At that time they ordered a 24 hour urine done on me...I dropped it off to them on Friday morning and went into labor on my own Friday afternoon. Turns out I did have pre-e, but I delivered my daughter totally med free with no problems. They were watching my BP very closely during delivery because it was scary high, but since I was progressing so quickly they figured they'd just let me finish.
I also want to say, please make sure you really pay attention to your body and trust your instincts. I had a lot of pre-term labor signs that my doctors kind of brushed aside because I was so early and was a first time mom. I went into labor on my own at 34.4 weeks and barely made it to the hospital to deliver. Pre-e is scary and can get out of control very quickly. I only tell you this so that you know to trust your body! Good luck to you!
*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*
Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
I would do the diet they are talking about and talk to you midwife and just wait and see. I would not want a pitocin induction. they used it on me with my first my labor was not fast enough for them. So I would get inducted if it started to get high but work on making it stay down and going into labor on my own. And I agree pre e does not always mean c/s my friend had it with her 1st and delivered vag...