What's necessary when having a midwife?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
I didn't have one for very long last time and so I'm not sure what all they do or have to do, can someone give me a heads up? Such as, will I still need to give them tons of blood? Other stuff? In general of course, I know everyone and every case is different. Thanks ladies

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM
noworries
I think it really varies from midwife to midwife. My midwife does very few tests. I don't think they do any blood tests, if I want any of that done, I have to go somewhere else for it. But, I am guessing that if your midwife is affiliated with a hospital they would probably do close to the same tests as an OB.

Edited to add: I am seeing a hb midwife and she is very minimally invasive and does as few tests as possible.

Last edited by noworries; April 28th, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
April 27th, 2009, 08:43 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Right, that's what I was thinking =\ That's too bad.. cuz I'd rather not. Do you know if that's the case can I really say no? I mean, obviously I can, but are there chances that it'll actually be okay? Again I know I will just have to find these things out but I'm just seeing what I can find out from you guys now.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 28th, 2009, 04:03 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I had blood drawn at my first prenatal appt to check for a bunch of different things like genetic markers, rH negative, HIV, etc. I had a second blood draw at 28 weeks for my gestational diabetes 1 hour test and I had blood drawn at 32 weeks to test my iron levels. I had an ultrasound at 20 weeks and a follow up at 25 or 6 to check the placenta's position and the baby's cord insertion, which were both curious on the first test. Otherwise, most of my office visits, I peed in a cup to check for protein, got weighed, blood pressure, baby's heart beat, measured my belly starting at 28 weeks, and a nice discussion with the midwife.

I am sure it depends widely on each practice however.

April 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
most midwifes who are practicing legally and have some prescriptive powers will do at a minimum a prenatal panel (the first visit b/w) and will sugguest a 20w u/s.

You can decline b/w- but some midwives won't keep you as a client if you do that- it puts them at risk, so that is fair.

April 28th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I agree that you will get lots of answers here. For mine (not associated with a hospital)

I did blood work at my first appointment at 12 weeks. (hiv, rubella, rH factor, and I think that is it)
I had a pap done a few months prior so I didn't need that.

We had an us at 21 weeks (though it is optional)

She has optional blood work as well around that time for the other stuff, but we didn't do it. It was just given to us in a book as offered.

GD blood test and she also checked my hemogloben at that appointment around 28 weeks.

She does all the blood work at her house/ birthing center.

I have never had to pee in a cup and she says that she does periodically or if there is ANY signs of problems.

She checks my weight, bp, fundal hieght, baby position (thoug not yet lol) at every appointment.

They offer all the the other stuff but things like amnio are not done there.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM
GoldmanBaby09's Avatar Regular
As with the prior posters, it depends on what type of midwife and the type of practice. I am getting concurrent care from a CNM at an OB's office and care from my HB midwife. The CNM is much more like a regular OB in the tests that they suggest. I did decline the GTT with her and got a talking to about it and had to sign a consent form stating that I understood the risks. The CNM does not know I am having a HB, and that midwife did a postprandial instead and also checked my hemoglobin levels. Other than that, my hb midwife is very non-invasive and pretty much doesn't do any tests, which is the way I prefer it. Otherwise, they both check my weight, urine, blood pressure, pulse, fundal height, and the baby's heart rate.

28 weeks--Boobs and Bump

April 28th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
All of my tests were optional. I was seeing an OB at first, so they did my b/w, instead of my midwives.

Expecting baby #4!

April 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Blood work - at my first appt they did the typical pregnancy run up (hiv, rh, rubella ect). Then I had one more draw at like 32 weeks to check iron levels. That was it.
Every appt - I pee in a cup, do weight, BP, check baby's heart and she just does a quick feel over to make sure he's still head down and feeling the right size.
Optional stuff - GBS (which I did), u/s (also did) and that was pretty much it!

Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search