Midwife search...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2009, 03:40 AM
.adi.
I doubt I'll have much of a selection since I called the nearest midwifery to the base and they only do homebirths which I'm not up for and the next place is over an hour drive away. I was told that there would be some midwives on base but we'll see...

Anyways. What should I look for in a midwife? Can you give me some tips so I have an idea of what I'm doing?
April 28th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
well fo rme, I only had 2 options. One my insurance took the other it didn't, but its still cheaper! lol

I asked them specific questions for me. Like what if there is meconium (as Nichole had it) and what if I go over due? Things like that.
Most of the other stuff was just them talking to me and vise versa. I chose the one I was more comfortable talking with.
You might want to check things like (what is your transport rate for going to the hospital for medical need vs. "mom cant handle it"? Things like that as well.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 28th, 2009, 08:34 AM
GoldmanBaby09's Avatar Regular
What kind of a midwife are you looking for? You mention not being up for a home birth, are you looking for a birth center or a CNM at an OB practice? Your questions would be based on what type of birth you are looking for. I'm having a hb, so I wanted to know about her transfer rate, what emergency supplies she carries, if she has any back up if she were unavailable when I am in labor, those kind of things. If you want a CNM, I would suggest asking about the practice (do they rotate through, will you get who ever is on-call, ect) and their intervention rates. For a birth center, I would also ask about the practice, will you see an apprentice, will you have a specific midwife, and again with transport rates. Honestly, if you know you don't want a hospital birth, I wouldn't rule out the hb midwives. Most people don't realize that birth centers are usually just a hotel room to have your baby. Anything they have on hand there, your hb midwife would carry with her. If you do want a hospital birth, go with the CNM with the lowest intervention rates. Good luck!

28 weeks--Boobs and Bump

April 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would get an idea of what thier c-section and intervention rate is. Find out how they feel about doing certain interventions you are against (some midwives do things just like a doctor, which I don't get). Those would be the 2 most important things to me. You should also feel comfortable with her. I clicked with my midwives pretty quickly and immediately felt comfortable.

We did have midwives at Bragg, but I didn't get an option of who I saw or who delivered me, it was just whoever was on call. Got to love military health care!

Expecting baby #4!

April 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM
.adi.
Thanks ladies, that really helps a lot. I was kinda lost as to what I was looking for, lol. I do want a hospital birth so I'll make sure I look into transfer rates and I think I'll have to call the insurance hotline and make sure everything I want is covered. Just my luck I'll think somethings covered and it's not!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search