I need your thoughts please!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok so you Im sure most of you know that my mom is the CNO of a hospital and that she absolutely cannot stand me birthing at a birthing center. I will still birth at one if I want to regardless... obviously because I did with Emme. But she called me today and told me that at her hospital they have just changed their whole way of doing things. She said they now have couplet care where the baby never leaves and there is one nurse that takes care of mom and baby. She said the ped comes in the room so you can ask questions and watch the newborn checkup. She said the mother and baby have matching wrist bands so anytime they are brought together they play a song and if anyone else tries to take the baby away from the mother an alarm goes off. They have a new OB that is a single mom with a 5 year old girl and my mom said most people seem to like her alot. I asked her how soon after the birth I can leave and she said most stay 24 hours but you can leave after 6 hours. And I asked her what the hospitals primary c section rate was and she said 14%. Which is really not that bad for a hospital. And they just changed there policy that no OB can induce before 39 weeks unless it is life or death. They have GIANT labor tubs which I have used before because this is where Brynn was born. They do "make" you use the EFM for 20 minutes out of every hour. Which does kind of suck but I wont be going into the hopspital until I literally cant stand anyways.

Im really considering going there. I set up an interview for this new OB and they are going to do a vaginal US then since I still have no clue how far along I am. Im going to ask her every question I can think of. I need to go back through our posts and find the threads where we all gave questions to ask. So what do you all think? Would you deliver in a hospital if they had standards of care similar to the birthing center that I would be going to? I have to admit that Im a little worried about this baby getting stuck. Brynn and Emme both got stuck. Which worries me even more because my midwife reached up there and pulled her out. So would the OB use forceps? Or even worse a c section?

All these thoughts are running through my brain. I dont know what to do so I guess Im just kind of putting it all down. Oh and I talked with Shea about it and he is fine with it but he is upset because he really wanted to deliver this one since he couldnt deliver Emme because she got stuck. I dont know what to do!! Decisions decisions...

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
April 30th, 2009, 10:13 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Sounds like a nice facility and OB. I would consult with the OB, see what you think of her, tour the maternity ward and go from there. The c-section rate is way low. Most of our hospitals here are over 50%. I know the hospital i was born at is around 55%!!!!

April 30th, 2009, 10:22 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats how the hospital I just delivered Brennen at was. He never left us and it was wonderful. They were very supportive of NCB and their staff was amazing. I was told I could go homoe the morning after I had Brennen but we decided to stay another day because my oldest son was sick at home with my sister.

It sounds like a really positive scenario for you. I'd say there's no harm in meeting the OB and seeing what things are like at the hospital before you make your decision. I'd also discuss with the OB that Shea wants to be really involved in the delivery of the baby and see what their thoughts are on that. Will shea go to meet he OB with you? I thin kif he heard everything himself he might be more comfortable with it too.

I would definitely ask the OB's procedures through out the pregnancy, like about testing and such and be sure that you'll still have the right to turn down and testing they offer, see if they're going to start pelvic exams at any certain point or if you can chose not to have one as long as everything is well, how far past due they'll let you go, etc.

I'm excited to hear how it all goes for you and I know you can't wait to find out exactly how far along you are!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

April 30th, 2009, 10:55 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like a nice facility with very low seciton rates and great standards of care. Even so, you don't need to go there unless it feels right to you. You may still decide that a birth center offers more hands off care, or more hands on care for Shea to catch baby. it's not always about what the practices are but where you feel most comfortable.
April 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I agree it sounds like a much nicer hospital than most but definitely take your time deciding. Some OB's will still allow the father to catch the baby so ask about that for sure if Shea is wanting to do that. You should go where you feel most comfortable because that will make your birth experience that much better. I would ask the OB about her experience with stuck babies as well. Maybe she knows the Gaskin Maneuver? It can't hurt to ask. Good luck no matter what you decide!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

April 30th, 2009, 11:08 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It doesn't hurt to go and talk to the OB. Even in the hospital some docs willlet a father catch, not often, but it does happen. Find out what they do if a baby gets stuck, and how much movement you will be allowed.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 1st, 2009, 07:16 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
My initial thought is why change/fix what isn't broken .... but maybe that's just me. I would want to use the BC for the simple theory of stats and supply/demand. But it does sound nice and if it would help you feel more comfortable (not just your mother) and you like the doc then go with your gut! My midwife let John catch the baby but he's also an MD so that could have also been why, not sure.

Last edited by moon~maiden; May 1st, 2009 at 07:20 AM.
May 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the rest of the ladies, a consult/meet & greet can't hurt. I'd see how it goes and how you feel and then reconsider.
May 2nd, 2009, 04:36 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
did you have a sticky baby,, maybe just sticky shoulders, or was it a full out dystocia? That answer would really make a big part of the decision if it were me.

May 2nd, 2009, 06:29 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I can be a bit of a cynic at times, but it almost seems as though your mom has switched to the "you get more flies with honey than vinegar" method. But who knows? Maybe it really is a nice facility. And I don't know your mom, so I would be a poor judge of her motives.

May 2nd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This could be just me, but after using a birth center, I"ll never got back to a hospital. The environment, the level of care I recieved, it's something that could never be duplicated at a hospital.

Expecting baby #4!

May 2nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
.adi.
Personally I will be giving birth at a hospital regardless. My family has a history of weird things being wrong with the baby when they are born that if they weren't in the hospital very bad things could have happened...

Like my sister was born dead and took 15 minutes to revive, my niece was severely jaundiced and very very sick, Marcus had a breathing problem and needed the NICU, my nephew had a similar thing to Marcus, etc. It's just weird.

So to answer your question, yes, I would deliver at a hospital

Personally I will be giving birth at a hospital regardless. My family has a history of weird things being wrong with the baby when they are born that if they weren't in the hospital very bad things could have happened...

Like my sister was born dead and took 15 minutes to revive, my niece was severely jaundiced and very very sick, Marcus had a breathing problem and needed the NICU, my nephew had a similar thing to Marcus, etc. It's just weird.

So to answer your question, yes, I would deliver at a hospital
May 2nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Im still torn. But if this OB is really pro NCB then I would rather give birth there in case something did happen KWIM? I definately love birthing at a birthing center too but my motive behind the birthing center was because I didnt want to have to worry about fighting with a hospital the entire time. So if I dont have to fight with a hospital then why not birth there with all the perks. Now if this lady in any way seems to not be pro NCB then back to the birthing center I go.

And Cheryl you ask an interesting question. Im not sure how stuck she was. I know that DH was not allowed to catch and had to get out of the way. She had both of her arms up me and my mom said she had to keep pulling really hard back and forth to get her out. But Im really not sure. I just assumed that because both of them have now been "stuck" that it could possibly be the same with this one. Just something that I am considering since it has now happened twice. So Dh may not be able to catch this baby anyways.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 3rd, 2009, 03:19 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well, that sounds like a Dystocia. they're complicated, and no one really knows the cause- sometimes it can be guessed, but not often. However, the biggest indicator of a possible dystocia is having had a previous one. So- in the hospital that is handled in a very intervention positive way most of the time. I would def. ask a lot of questions about how they would handle it, a lot of the time, especially if you had bigger babies before, they'll want to measure the baby, and maybe induce in hopes of avoiding that. Or they might be quicker to cut an episiotomy. But I'd be suprised if they didn't do anything quicker, b/c then if G-d forbid something did happen, they'd be at HUGE risks of a lawsuit in that situation. It'll also depend on what the midwife wrote in your chart at your last birth, time, etc. Maybe you can call her.

on the other hand, if the hospital has a nicu then that could be a good thing, b/c if this baby was also stuck, if he needed any help breathing, or any special care you would already be there.

there is a lot of scary info on a dystocia, so please don't go scare yourself with research. The risks are minimal, and an experienced care provider is an amazing thing if it does reoccur. Sometimes out of hospital midiwves do have more experience in handling dystocias, b/c they don't induce or section so many women. So- she may be the best person to handle it. I would want to make sure she knew and felt comfortable doing neonatal resusitation for sure though, although likely it won't be needed.

May 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like a great facility, if what your mom has said is the case. I would definitely go meet with the OB and see how you like her. You always have time to weigh out your options and decide. When is you consult with her? Just do what you (and Shea) feel most comfortable with!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search