"My wife couldn't progress"

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2009, 11:56 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A patient said this to me today. So I thought, 'oh, she went over due, she was 42+ weeks and they induced.' I asked a few questions, come to find out she was induced at 40 weeks, with the foley. So the baby wasn't ready to be born and she 'coulnd't progress' so she needed pit and AROM and blah blah blah. She almost ended up with a c-section, except for her sheer determination. But, 'she couldn't progress.'

So she is due June 4th with her second and will be induced in 28 days. Think she won't be able to progress again?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was going to say that I understood 42+ weeks but 40 weeks is not long enough. And then to be induced again. Some people never learn.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
April 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I've heard so many times "my body just doesn't go into labor on its own" from women who have only ever been induced at or before 40 weeks. ugh...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 30th, 2009, 12:30 PM
.adi.
How can you say your body never goes into labor on it's own when you don't give it a chance to? Why do these women sit here and let the dr's tell them things and then take it like it's absolute fact? Why aren't they researching these things?!? Gah this bugs me so bad! they act all helpless but they're not helping themselves at all
April 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Okay I'm gonna sound terrible but doctors are EVIL lol. My OB actually told me if I didn't induce (I was 41 weeks) that I was going to kill my baby. He started telling me stories of deilvering "overdue" babies that were dead and in green fluids.... well, that worked!

Facebook
April 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM
KaylaMeow's Avatar Canned Spontaneity
Send a message via MSN to KaylaMeow Send a message via Yahoo to KaylaMeow
Holy crap, Rose!! That's horrible!!!

My doctor hasn't ONCE brought up induction with me, thank goodness!

Couldn't progress... good lord. You've gotta let your body get to the darn finish line before you can determine whether or not it can cross it!!
April 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
You know I really liked him as a doctor, he was very involved and didn't mind returning calls, sending me for u/s when I was panicked (which was a lot). But he really filled my head with a lot of things that I still carry with me now. At my first appt when I said I didn't want induced again he told me that because I was induced with my first I would have to be induced again. That since my body hadn't been given the chance to work on it's own, I would not go into labor.. 39 weeks rolled around and he started his "ready for that induction??"... I fought it as long as I could until that stinkin story. I went home soo upset and feeling like I was the worst person in the world for wanting to go into labor on my own. I couldn't sleep, DH was freaked out by it to so the next day I said OK to the induction even though I really really really didn't want it. But his plan went as he planned... he scared me into it! I'm soo glad my midwife is the exact opposite of that! She said, in her 25 years shes NEVER lost a baby to being past due and that's a loooot more years delivering baby's than my OB had in so I trust her word!

Facebook
April 30th, 2009, 02:14 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I hate the "If it didn't happen on it's own last time it won't this time" logic. By that logic, no first time mom would EVER be able to do ANYTHING on her own! WTH! My body did just fine on it's own for my first baby, even though it "didn't know" how to go into labor or have a baby, thank you very much!

April 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I ditto pretty much what everyone else said. Drs induce wayyyyyy too much! My dr didn't even talk pit until i was in labor 20hrs.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

April 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Geez, do we just not trust our bodies anymore?? It miraculously concieved and grew an 8lb baby, so why would it suddenly not be able to get it out? Seriously, that was the easy part!

April 30th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
this is a hard one for me. Only because I was induced with Nichole. I was really over due though. She was due Dec. 23rd and I was induced Jan 9th. Would I have gone into labor on my own... I am sure I would have. I know that with me, I needed to cook her longer. Id on't expect to go early with this one either though. Nichole was under 6lbs 12 oz... don't htey gain a 1/2 pound a week at the end? She would have been TINY!!!!!!!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 1st, 2009, 09:06 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
I've heard so many times "my body just doesn't go into labor on its own" from women who have only ever been induced at or before 40 weeks. ugh...
UGGH, really? And it drives me crazy when I hear this!
May 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr.4.gtn View Post
this is a hard one for me. Only because I was induced with Nichole. I was really over due though. She was due Dec. 23rd and I was induced Jan 9th. Would I have gone into labor on my own... I am sure I would have. I know that with me, I needed to cook her longer. Id on't expect to go early with this one either though. Nichole was under 6lbs 12 oz... don't htey gain a 1/2 pound a week at the end? She would have been TINY!!!!!!!

Getting induced at 42+ weeks is way different than at 39 weeks. Your body probably was ready, which is why the induction worked. This woman came close to having a failed induction and a c-section because she wasn't making progress after they forced her body to labor. I think in this situation if she had waited until she was past due, and let her body do its thing she wouldn't have come close to the 'failure to progress' diagnosis and all the extra interventions.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hate that now this woman thinks that her body doesn't work in some way. I wonder if that bothers her or if she just accepts it like many women do.

But apparently I have a lousy cervix (exact words used) so what do I know?

May 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM
GoldmanBaby09's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARL253 View Post
How can you say your body never goes into labor on it's own when you don't give it a chance to? Why do these women sit here and let the dr's tell them things and then take it like it's absolute fact? Why aren't they researching these things?!? Gah this bugs me so bad! they act all helpless but they're not helping themselves at all
It really makes me angry how many women take no personal responsibility for their births, their bodies or their babies. They say "the Dr told me so" and wash their hands of it.

28 weeks--Boobs and Bump

May 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It makes me so glad that I had Matthew a bit early (almost 39 weeks) because my OB wanted to induce at 40 weeks, 41 at the latest if I did NSTs every other day. Crazy! All because I had one thyroid test come back funky ONCE in the first trimester.

You know what's sad Rose, is look at your ticker. They act like baby coming at 38 weeks is a given.

I was happy to let my little guy bake as long as he needed and I'm surprised he showed up early. But like I said, happy because my OB didn't have a chance to push for induction!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search