Question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
n/a
Hi everyone. Some of you know me, my name is Michelle and after a year of TTC we conceived a Femara baby boy named Jack who is due in June! I am planning a natural birth with a doula and have been using hypnobabies.

Anyways, today while feeling Jack move around I started thinking about the fact that the baby has to come out of my pelvis. I mean honestly, newborns are not that small, and holy moly there is going to be a lot of bone expansion or something, right? So I was wondering if anyone had the same impression before they had a natural birth, and how you felt about it after giving birth. It just seems kinda crazy, you know! I mean, I can feel him getting bigger and yet I can easily cup my va-jay-jay with one hand, and I have small hands! I just keep thinking about this Jean Claude Van Dam movie where they stretch his legs apart with rope to get him to do the splits And this oddly doesn't dissuade me from a natural birth, I am just wondering how everything is going to expand or move to get the baby out. Thanks!
April 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Things will expand. I have been sitting and bouncing and rocking on a balance ball/birthing ball, as well as doing squats. Both of these should help open up the pelvis. Have you taken a birthing class? We just had ours at the birth center and a lot of discussion was made on how that baby actually comes out and it really set my mind at ease. Have you talked to your doula as well about labor positions?

Have you felt any loosening down there? I have felt on and off, some light pains, which I was told was the ligaments loosening up.

April 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
n/a
Next week I am watching some labor position videos with the doula. She talked a bit about a chemical that gets released and makes your ligaments more lose in the third trimester, and I will ask her more about it at the next meeting.

I dunno, I am not worried since my body will birth however it knows how to birth, and I know it can and will get the baby out on its own. I just want to try to know what to expect. I hope everything loosens up a good amount before birth, but I have honestly felt nothing like that so far and I am 34 weeks. No back pain, no hip pain, no waddle, nadda. So I sorta have this picture of everything moving all at once during labor which doesn't seem like it will be too much fun. I have been squatting a ton just from all the home renovations we have been doing since bending over does not work at all anymore LOL. Even then or when I go on my birthing ball I feel completely normal. And I aien't got no birthing hips either, I am a petite woman!
April 30th, 2009, 04:15 PM
When we were in our birthing class last weekend, the birth instructor took a pelvis model and a baby doll and showed up how the baby positions himself in the pelvis and will turn accordingly to fit thru, with rotation, stretching the neck, etc. It was really interesting and made a lot of sense on how this big baby fits thru this not so seemingly large space.

April 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
n/a
Thats cool! If they could show me using my pelvis that would help I have one of those classes coming up and I will be looking for a similar model so I can get a visual.
April 30th, 2009, 04:30 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is amazing how a women's pelvis and joint begin to stretch and expand even during pregnancy. And then it really starts shifting during labor once the body's labor chemicals are released. Too, the baby's head is made up of a number of plates that shift, allowing it's head to mold to come out.
April 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know how either, but between your pelvis opening and the baby moving through it, it works! I've given birth to 2 vaginally and they both made it out It's not so much the pelvis opening that impresses me, but that baby actually coming out of me and then bouncing back afterwords. Who knew we could stretch like that?

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM
n/a
This may sound silly, but should I be concerned that I don't feel stretching or discomfort already? I don't think so but I wanted to hear it from someone else
April 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had no stretching or discomfort with my last pregnancy and I was able to birth a 8 lb 4 oince baby with no problems, only 6 pushes and she was out.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death to capybara View Post
This may sound silly, but should I be concerned that I don't feel stretching or discomfort already? I don't think so but I wanted to hear it from someone else
I feel it mostly when I am walking (exercising) and it is just like an achiness in the pelvic area. You may have it and not even realize it! I also am on my feet a ton at work which probably exacerbates it.

Let us know how your class goes

April 30th, 2009, 06:43 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
The chemical is called relaxin, and it is pretty cool how that all works. Can you start stretching now, getting your legs strong for labor? Also kegals (which I am famously terrible at doing) can really help. Squatting is the optimal position for opening your pelvis, lying on your back really narrow the pelvis and makes it much harder for baby to move through.
April 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I don't know how either, but between your pelvis opening and the baby moving through it, it works! I've given birth to 2 vaginally and they both made it out It's not so much the pelvis opening that impresses me, but that baby actually coming out of me and then bouncing back afterwords. Who knew we could stretch like that?
Ditto! Hey Michelle!! I had a ton of pelvic and hip pain in the last tri so I am no help there.... but as strange as it is... I wondered about that as well....it works. I was AMAZED when I was feeling him descend down as I was pushing him out. I even felt him coming down between contrax. It's definitely an awesome experience.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

April 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
with my first I had NONE of the stretching/relaxing sensations. My pelvis didn't move until labor started. Which added to the labor pain, but it was still manageable. It would be a great idea if you could find someone to show you with a model/doll how it all actually works. Don't worry

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 1st, 2009, 06:45 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to see if I can find the on-line images of it. I am sure if I e-mail the ICAN loop someone there will have something useful

Also, at 34 weeks with your first pregnancy the hormoes may not be really to their peak yet, you *should start feeling more of it as time goes by.

What amazes me is that with my first labor and vaginal birth my son's head was 15.5 inches! That is like a 12 cm diamter! That means I stretched MORE than the 10 cm required for being 'complete'. According to DH there was no difference afterwards... wink, wink.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started feeling joints loosening maybe a few weeks before he was born, it was like where my legs attached felt very loose.
You know I am very petite and I had my 7.5 pound baby just fine. Their head will be a bit cone shaped when they come out from molding. I did have a superficial tear but got stitched up. I think part of the reason I tore is because after I pushed out his head the dr told me to stop pushing, I think she she could turn his shoulders, but I couldn't NOT push for the life of me.

Oh and remember, I am one of those "baby speculum" girls , I don't know how my body did it, but it did and yours can too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search