How hard is it for you to bite your tongue?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Because I almost couldn't any longer!
DH's Grandma and Aunt stopped in to see BE and have dinner with us last night as they were traveling through the area (they live over 2 hours away).
Somehow we started talking about natural childbirth, and Vaginal deliveries vs c-sections (don't ask me how...I don't really know).
Well apparently Grandma had c-sections with ALL three of her children, without ever being given the opportunity to try naturally, because "she was too small" or at least that's what the Dr's had her TOTALLY convinced of! After her first, they only confirmed it in her mind by telling her that "Her body was entirely too small, and c-sections were the ONLY way! She never would have made it through a vaginal delivery, and not to let anyone try and tell her different!". Now granted the woman is not 5 feet tall, but her husband wasn't a large man either! All of her babies were within the 6lb range...So tell me...Why was it so impossible that she wasn't even given the chance!?!
I guess her sister (DH's Great Aunt) tried for a vaginal delivery, and ended up with a c-section...But both of Grandma's daughters, and her niece (non of which are any bigger in frame) all had successful vaginal deliveries!
I'm not saying that there aren't woman out there that are too small, and do need help...But at least let them try!
DH's Grandma isn't one to argue with, because she's always right! Hence the reason I just sat there biting my tongue as hard as could, trying not to say something I shouldn't!

I don't know why this bothered me as much as it did...maybe because I feel bad for her, and don't think she was treated right! Anyway...sorry for the ramble.

May 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And back then they trusted doctors as God even more than is done today. She might defend it to the death because it could be a little painful to think that she missed out on a real (only meaning vaginal) birth.
May 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I think you hit the nail on the head! She was very defensive!(and I didn't even say anything) I do feel bad for her...

May 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
It is very very very hard for me, but i do it.

May 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
well I feel bad for her as well. You let her know, next time that my grandma was only 4'10" and about 85 pounds (of course she was even smaller in old age) she delievered all 3 of her children vaginally. Not sure about naturally or not. My grandpa was at least 6 foot not sure exactly how tall he was. The shortest of the 3 is now my dad at 6'1"

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM
noworries
It depends on who the person is that I am talking to whether it is hard for me to bite my tongue or not. It's really hard for me to bite my tongue with my mother-in-law but much easier for me to bite my tongue with my sister (both had c-sections and think I'm crazy for having a NCB and planning a home birth for this one).
May 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I feel bad for those that never even get the chance. I saw a little of that in my PR and sadly, those women didn't even care

Expecting baby #4!

May 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
.adi.
sorry i only wanted to comment that bryce was born on my moms bday! awwww
May 1st, 2009, 06:33 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't usually have a hard time biting my tongue. Its when people start in on MY choice on how I birth my children that I can't keep quiet.

I have to say though, my MIL is a small person--not much over 5 feet and was rail thin when she had her kids. They were both 2 weeks past their EDDs and dh was over 9lbs and she never had a section.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

May 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I feel bad for those that never even get the chance. I saw a little of that in my PR and sadly, those women didn't even care
I agree

My mom was told that her hips were too small to deliver me...the doctors let her try, and she ended up with an emergency c-section

May 2nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lately its been a lot harder for me to bite my tongue. But thats cause Im grouchy. LOL.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 2nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A few of my 'friends' are pregnant. One of them said 'I'd rather a c section than go through the pain of delivery"..................!???!?!?! I didn't hold back. She isn't talking to me now lol.

May 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I might have said something like "well thank goodness I am so big" or something equally as wise. But who knows, sometimes I am better at keeping my mouth shut than others. Plus it's not your grandmother, it's your husband's so that is different too.
May 3rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
I think telling women their babies are 'too big' is more frustrating to me than hearing women be told they're 'too small,' but I'm not sure yet.. =\

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search