Not so natural birth

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just read this in another post today (not quoted, but similiar) "I'm due July 10th, but I'm getting induced July 9th if my baby doesn't come before them. I want to enjoy my labor, so I plan on getting an epidural as soon as possible."

Why they heck are doctors inducing a day before a woman's due date, with NO medical reason? What the heck is the birthing process coming to?? How many women actually go into labor spontaneously before then...not many!

What is all of this coming to? We've cut out the natural process of labor and delivery completely. Inducing women, every woman thinking that an epidural is the only way to "enjoy" your labor? Maybe we should just schedule a c-section for every pregnant woman. Or why don't we just completely take sex out of the conception process too while we're at it? It's getting ridiculous...I worry about what it will all be like in 50 years.

I know we have a million topics like this, lol I just needed to vent!

May 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I understand your frustrations completely. It makes no sense to me at all. I just want to shake my head at them. It's really sad.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's rather disappointing. Although my labor with Brennen was much longer than I expected it to be since he was my 3rd child, it was natural and although totally exhausting by near the end, I CAN honestly say that I enjoyed my birthing experience.

I don't understand the reasoning with inducing a woman BEFORE her due date for no reason. Obviously, this woman you referenced still has 2 months of pregnancy to go and already had her induction set? ***? It's sad that we live in a society that has given women the impression that having an epdirual is the only way to enjoy their birthing experience.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

May 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
yay I don't get it either. My fave is "oh baby is gonna be big. My first was 8 1/2 pounds so doc won't let this one get that big" UHG!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 4th, 2009, 04:30 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
It is soooo frustrating, and I see it at work too.

Saturday at work, one of the massage clients congratulated me on my pregnancy (i guess this was the first time she noticed, lol) and asked where I was delivering. I told her the Birth Center and she was so excited. She is a L&D nurse at a big local hospital. The c-section rate at her hospital (and most in our area) is over 50%. She said she is planning on going to midwifery school after finishing her BSN and that she gets really sickened by how things are done in L&D at the hospital. She said she gets so upset with first time moms and all the interventions and inductions and the high section rate because of it. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to be like minded in my thinking and pro NCB and work in that environment. Obviously, she loves being there for the birth and supporting the mom, but what she sees just really upsets her.
sigh.

May 4th, 2009, 01:51 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I was just reading a birth story today that someone had to have an "emergency c section due to failed induction" and she was only 38 weeks. So why do you think the induction was unsuccessful!?!?!?! Gah.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

May 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
What's enjoyable about laying flat on your back numb for 12 hours?? Booooooring!!! Yeah it hurts but at least the pain part is exciting and gives you something to think about lol!

Facebook
May 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
As someone working in the field, Yes, it's very hard to see all these c/s from failed inductions. We call them FTP- Failure to Progress. I've renamed them Failure to Push, because all these women want their epis at 1 cm, and not feel anything.

I just found out that one of the people I work with had a scheduled c-section. And she's a TRAUMA SURGEON. Educated, to say the least. Her reasoning? She was scared of prolapse as she ages. Oh get over yourself! I just heard that last week, it apparently happened while I was on maternity leave. I lost SO much respect for her. She may be a really good trauma surgeon, but she sure has bought into all the OB/ L&D propaganda. I have only 2 friends at work (out of 100 other CRNA's) who've gone natural. It's isolating at times. And frustrating to say the least. Thank heavens I have you ladies!

Come visit my blog!
May 4th, 2009, 05:52 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
It's making me so sad and frustrated to see how many women are getting induced for no reason. I can all but guarentee that none of their doctors have actually discussed all the risks involved in the induction, NTM all the risks involved in the c-section that many of them will end up with! I'm at the point where I can barely post in my DDC because I'm getting so annoyed with it all.

And I can't get over how many people have asked me when my doctor is going to induce. My EDD isn't even for 2 more days and it's my first! She's most likely not going to be here by then, and I don't want to force something my body and baby aren't ready for!
May 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
:lurking:

I completely understand all of your frustrations. I am not planning a NCB, per se, but I certainly plan to go without medical intervention as long as my body can handle and if that is the whole labor, then so be it. Anyways, I, too, see so many women talking of induction before they are even due. It is so frustrating to me because there are so many risks involved and I think it is irresponsible of any mother to willingly put their children at risk for their own selfish reasons. I understand wanting the pregnancy to be over, I understand being uncomfortable as I am there, but I would NEVER allow my doctor to induce me prior to 41 weeks of pregnancy unless there was a pressing medical issue.

ETA: Even at 41 weeks, there would have to be a medical reason for an induction for me to consider it.

Last edited by Babybear4; May 4th, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
May 5th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
It's crazy! Over on the VBAC board, a mama wrote that her midwife says that in her industry, she will soon be out of work, because every birth with be a c-section. Now, I don't believe it, because of all the women like us, that it's just appalling!

There needs to be some kind of revolution, or woman's moment, or something. I don't like the way this society views childbirth, and it's getting further and further away from what it needs to be. I wish I knew what we could do! I think, perhaps, a big step is to stop telling scary stories to pregnant moms, or newlyweds. We need to talk about how wonderful birthing is, and gloss over the hard parts with the admonition of "it can be tough, but it's so worth it". But, the media? How ever can we stop that freight train?!
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

May 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It saddens me to say the least. I think women just get too impatient. I think they just get tired of being pregnant and when their OB mentions induction it sounds like a wonderful idea. Nobody ever thinks about the baby.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So laying on your back the whole time, sleeping and then chance that you might not be able to feel the need to push is enjoying labor?!?!!?

What are women coming to?! I don't think epidurals are necessary, and I went through an 18 hour induction! I was only induced because my waters had been leaking for awhile, and I never went into labor. My doctor wouldn't have induced me until 42 weeks he said.

I do know that I was getting really impatient and wanted to see my baby, so I didn't mind being induced.

May 5th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttle_one View Post
It's making me so sad and frustrated to see how many women are getting induced for no reason. I can all but guarentee that none of their doctors have actually discussed all the risks involved in the induction, NTM all the risks involved in the c-section that many of them will end up with! I'm at the point where I can barely post in my DDC because I'm getting so annoyed with it all.

And I can't get over how many people have asked me when my doctor is going to induce. My EDD isn't even for 2 more days and it's my first! She's most likely not going to be here by then, and I don't want to force something my body and baby aren't ready for!
or she will come the day before her EDD!!!!!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It saddens me to say the least. I think women just get too impatient. I think they just get tired of being pregnant and when their OB mentions induction it sounds like a onderful idea. Nobody ever thinks about the baby.
My thoughts exactly...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search