Cheryl

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I see your blinkie about a lotus birth. I've looked it up before, but I can't remember now, what is it? It has something to do with not seperating the placenta from the baby, right?

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not trying to offend or anything, but is that safe?? I was told that the umbilicial cord has to be clamped and removed right away or the baby could stop breathing or something worse happen..

May 6th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Lonomia's Avatar Super Hot Mommy
I had a lotus birth with my son. We left the cord/placenta attached to him for 24 hrs but then decided it was too much of a hassle so we clamped it.

May 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes- it's safe. It's a common misconception, and the fear of it tearing (which is dangerous) if left intact. Research shows that it is actually safer to let the cord whole untill it stops pulsing (15-45 minutes)

A lotus birth is leaving the placenta attached untill it falls off on it's own, usually 24-72 hours. My reasons for wanting that are for comfort tfor the baby, there is a lot of sugguestion that this is a safer way, and the most gentle, for a baby to transition into the outside. I also want it for privacy, I feel that if the placenta is attached it'll further support the idea of a "babymoon", where we don't accept visitors or guests just to see the baby and wear us out, for the first few days.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions, I think it is a special and very unique thing, and I accept that many wil find it gross or strange.

May 7th, 2009, 06:51 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Sounds great C!
May 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to say Congrats Cheryl...you must be super excited???? You waiting a long time for this, eh? Oh! and I've never heard of this type of birth but good luck with everything.

May 7th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok, that's what I was thinking. That's a wonderful way to transition your baby to the outside world!

I felt much better about waiting to cut the cord this time, until it had stopped pulsing (which was after the placenta was delivered). It seems so much more natural.

It's better to delay cutting the cord Des. The baby will continue to breath on his own, but still recieves the rest of the blood in the cord which can be beneficial to them. Hospitals cut the cord right away for thier convienence.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, we waited till the cord stopped pulsating (we asked the Dr. to wait and she had no problem with it, of course midwife had never any issues with that once we had m/w), in hospital they just cut it so they are done faster. Even though lotus birth isnt for me. Good luck with it!!

May 8th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
same with me... Lotus birth is not for me but I will wait till the cord stops pulsating before cutting. It was cut with Nichole, but even if I didn't want it to be it would have been as she had meconium and had to be suctioned and all that fun stuff

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds awesome Cheryl!

I don't think I could do it, but I wanted to delay cutting the cord. The doctor told me it needed to be cut right away, or the baby wouldn't be able to breathe and could die. Now it makes sense that they do it for their convenience. Next pregnancy, I'll be delivering at a birth center or at home so I'll have the control to say it gets clamped after it stops pulsating.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search