When/How was your baby born?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
How far along were you when you had your baby? Did you do anything to encourage labor? Did you have a medical induction? Did labor start naturally? Did you water break first or did contractions start first? How long was the labor? How long did you push?

Tell us anything and everything you'd like. I want to hear some encouraging stories this morning!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM
noworries
I was 38 weeks and 4 days when I went into labor. I didn't do anything to encourage labor as I wasn't 40 weeks yet and I was hoping she would wait until January to be born but she had other plans. No medical induction, labor started naturally at about 2:00am. My water never broke naturally, the doctor broke my water when I was 9cm to help move things along because I had been at 9cm for quite a while. Labor was about 10 hours total and I pushed for an hour.
May 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, let's see here...

Dylan - induced at 38 weeks due to doctor thinking he was going to be 11 lbs, etc. and at 20 yrs old, I didn't know any better not to believe him. I wasn't educated on my options at all!
Went into hospital on a Wed. night after OB stripped my membranes at her office. I had Cervidil for 2 nights in a row and pitocin for 2 days. Epi on Friday morning. Water was broken on Friday afternoon. OB wanted to perform a c section at 5 pm after she returned from dinner. I finally fully dilated while she was gone eating. I pushed for 45-50 minutes. (This is the birth that motivated me to educate myself better on childbirth and my decision to have NCB in the future)

Tatum - water broke at 41 weeks and 4 days while vacuuming. I had been walking lots for the week before, drank red raspberry tea once I hit 40 weeks but that's it. Contractions started 2 hours after water had gushed. Labored at hospital from about 7 pm and she was born shortly after 1 am, so about a 6 hour labor. I pushed 2 times with her, but I strongly believe its because I had to breathe down and NOT push because my doctor was stuck in the blizzard - he barely made it for her delivery (we lived in WI).

Brennen - 39 weeks and 1 day. I took EPO starting at 36 weeks, following my MW instructions on dosages. I drank red raspberry tea daily. Sat on the birthing ball, walked lots. I ate the eggplant parmesan (at Scalini's in Marietta, GA - the recipe is on their site as well) on Saturday evening. Started having contractions Sunday night. I had AROM because I had plateaued at 7 cm for about 3 hours and the water slowed my contractions in the birth tub.
I pushed for about 15 minutes - 4 big pushes - my contractions were giving me a nice break in between. Labor was from about 10:30 pm Sunday and Brennen was born Mon at 6:12 pm, so rather long, about 20 hours. I'd say 18 hours of it were pretty darn active!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

Last edited by sillyp; May 6th, 2009 at 09:20 AM.
May 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
(both full stories are in the subforum)

baby #1 went into labor on my own at 41w1d (or 42w depending on what date you go by) at 10:45 pm. Didn't do anything to get it started. Labor lasted 15.5 hours, water didn't break - was broken at 10cm when we lost her HB and wanted an internal monitor, pushed for 3 minutes or so (side lying position). Labored mostly in the water, hospital birth

baby #2 went into labor on my own at 40w exactly around 1 am. Nothing done to get it started again. Labor was 6.5 hours. Suspect my water broke 2 days earlier, but no confirmation of that... birth center water birth, pushed for under 1 minute.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Liam--I went into labor on my own at 37 weeks 4 days (or 37 weeks 2 days if you go by when I ovulated). My water broke at 3am and contractions started up about an hour and 15 minutes later. I pushed for 14 minutes. Total labor time was 6 hours 49 minutes.

Lochlann--I had my membranes stripped at my 40 week appointment (actually 39 weeks 6 days). I didn't think it would work at all so I was completely shocked and in denial at first when I got woken up at 1:15am (40 weeks exactly) by a hard contraction. Within the hour they were 3-5 minutes apart. My water broke on its own at about 6:45am and I was 5-5 1/2 cm. I started pushing at 7:25am. I pushed for 10 minutes. Total labor time was 6 hours 20 minutes.

My first birth was a hospital birth and second was a birth center. Both natural and used hypnobirthing.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

May 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced at 41 weeks, but I don't think I was 41 weeks, I think I just had pass the 40 week mark... I had a cervix gel, has a gush of water after the 2nd application of the gel, contractions but nothing that bad, pitocin started at 9 pm ,doctor broke another bag of waters at 8 cm i think and then within an hour my son Linden was born

May 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Started taking EPO at 36 wks. Had Tanith at 37 wks 4 d. I woke up at 3:45 am, feeling uncomfortable. Got in the shower, walked around, drank some water. Nothing relieved the discomfort, so after an hr I woke DH to tell him I thought today was the day. Continued walking and breathing through the contractions for another hour and a half. Finally called the midwife about 6:30, went to the birth center. Upon arrival at 7am I was 6 cm, 100% effaced. I walked for another hour or so and got checked again, 8 cm. Right then my water broke, hit 9 cm. Got in the tub. Checked a little after 9 am and was complete. Had contractions, but nice breaks in between. I pushed for about 2 hrs, but I only NEEDED to push maybe the last 30-45 min. I got impatient! She arrived at 11:19 am, so just under 8 hrs of labor.

May 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Nicholas - Went into labor naturally at 40 weeks, unsure of whether my water ruptured or not. Pit was started when I was at 5-6 cm because I wasn't progressing fast enough for the Dr. Water was fully broken by the Dr when I was ready to push, pushed for just over an hour. Shoulders got stuck on the way out, labor lasted about 15 hours. Birthed at a hospital.

Serenity - Induced labor with accupressure massage and long walk at 40w1d. Labor started at 3:45am she was born at 3:59pm that afternoon. Water was broken at 6 cm to help bring on progress at 2:30pm. Born partially in the water (head, then she got stuck and I had to stand up so that they could get her out) One very minor labial tear, not even big enough to stitch. Probably only pushed for 20-30 minutes max. Birthed at a birthing center.

May 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Grant - my water broke at 34w5d. I was a first time mom and not only did I not know any better, but I wasn't prepared for the chance of my water breaking early. My old dr gave me the, better to get them out than risk the infection line, so I was induced that morning. They started me on the pit at noon, I didn't feel any contractions until 3:30, they didn't get bad until 5:30. I got the epi at 6:30, and I started pushing at 7:30. Looking back, I wonder why I didn't just stick it out, but hindsight's 20/20, and I wasn't nearly prepared enough. Grant was born at 8:12, weighing in at 4lb 14oz.

Dean - I was induced 2 days before my EDD, due to significant drop in amniotic fluid, baby measuring small, and rapidly aging placenta (so significant that I noticed it before they even said anything to me). I had not done anything prior to this other than walk my butt off the week prior. I got to the hospital to be induced at 4am. I was 5cm and 100% effaced when I got there. They started the pit at 4:45 and turned it off at 5:30. I sat on a birth ball and walked the halls for 1.5 hrs. I saw my backup doc in the hall at 7:00. He told me I must not be in labor for as fast as I was walking and as happy as I was. I know he thought he was going to put me back on the pit. I was 6cm. He broke my water at 7:20 and I was 8 cm by 8:45. I was ready to push by 9:45. When my doc came in, he asked the nurse how I was doing and she said "well she hasn't pushed effectively yet." I'm thinking - I haven't even pushed yet. Next contraction, I pushed so hard, he told me to stop so he could get his gown on! Dean was born at 10:03am

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

Last edited by ~ Christine ~; May 6th, 2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: double post!
May 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Lonomia's Avatar Super Hot Mommy
At 40w1d water broke at 4am. Contractions began right away. I hadn't had any prior exams or interventions. I pushed for roughly an hour and Thuya was born at home at 8:11 pm.

May 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The day before my due date I slept in, was in the hallway trying to get my panties on and my water broke. 20 minutes later the first contraction hit me like a brick wall. I had called the midwives by that point and they wanted me to come in to check if my water had really broken. (It broke around 11am) The contractions were just coming right on top of one another, it was nuts. Midwife checked me, couldn't tell if my water had broken and tried to send me home. My Mom said NO WAY and I waddled and contracted outside on the grass for a little while, Midwife checked me again and admitted me right away to the birth center. (Don't ask me the numbers, I have no idea.) Shortly after getting settled into the tub at the birth center I was fully dilated and pushing. Most of my very short labor was pushing. After awhile in the tub DD's heart rate dropped and they had me get onto one of the beds. I laid on my side and DD was born less than five and a half hours after my water had broken. DH got to play catch. I had one moment waddling around on the grass thinking I CAN'T do this for 18-24 hours, there is just no way. I think I was in transition at that point.

May 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Wow. These stories are great. Thanks for sharing

May 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
How far along were you when you had your baby? Did you do anything to encourage labor? Did you have a medical induction? Did labor start naturally? Did you water break first or did contractions start first? How long was the labor? How long did you push?
I'll give you all 3 stats....

Anastasia:
Just under 37w, did nothing to encourage labor, contrax woke me up in the am, labor was 18hrs....ended in c/s for "FTP".

Noah:
35w5d, did nothing to encourage labor, water broke at 7am, 17hrs labor from water breaking, was ready to push but was told I had to have another c/s.

Oliver:
35w1d, did nothing to encourage labor, water broke at 7am (see a pattern?? ), labor was 34hrs from water breaking, 20min of pushing.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

May 6th, 2009, 05:29 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Phelix: I went into spontaneous labour at 39w5d. Lost mucus plug in the morning, contractions started in the afternoon. Laboured at home for the most of it. Called midwife at 2 mins apart. went to birthing center, was there about 3.5 hours before I had Phelix with waters breaking just before I had him. Pushed for 20 mins.

Noah: Spontaneous labour at 41+2. Woke up 5.30am with contractions, by 8am they were 2 min apart -called midwife. She arrived at home to check me (internal)-was 7cm. Started to lose mucus plug after internal. went to hospital about 10.30am. waters broke whilst pushing at 11.40am. 12pm birthed head (shoulders were stuck) 12.05 birthed rest of him.

May 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Abby - I went into labor just after midnight on her due date. I was laying in bed (DH and I had just DTD, so I'm not sure if it was coincidence or not) and I had a few contractions. They weren't very strong, so I ignored them, and then I felt it. I'm not sure what, but I knew at the time it was my water breaking and I jumped out of bed. My labor was 8 hours, and I pushed for about 30 minutes.

Anna - I had been feeling back pain the night before, especially when I moved in certain positions. I went to bed, I was very uncomfortable so I didn't sleep well. I woke up at 4am with a contraction, then another and got out of bed and into the shower. Once I started timing them, I realized they were steady and regular. We arrived at the birth center around 7:45 and at 9:56 Anna was born after about 15-20 minutes of pushing. My water never broke, she was born in her sac in the tub. My labor was just under 6 hours total.
May 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water broke at 38w4d. I didn't call my dr and labored at home. Water broke at 6 a.m., contractions didn't start till later that day and he was born at 1:22 the next day, so total labor of around 19.5 hours. Less than 2 hours were spent at the hospital. I'm not sure how long I pushed, but it was about 3-4 pushes to get his head out and one more for his body, so not very long. I did it with no drugs, I used Hypnobabies and a doula.

May 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post

Tell us anything and everything you'd like. I want to hear some encouraging stories this morning!
I was forty-two weeks plus three days when my son was actually born. Labor started on the day of forty-two weeks. I did not do anything to start labor or have an induction. Labor started naturally and we are still unsure whether my water broke or not at the beginning of the labor. I had prodromal labor for sixty-four hours, hard labor for twenty-nine hours and I pushed for five minutes before he came flying out. Ours was the perfect birth and I hope all my future childbirths are as smooth and flawless. It was a great experience. My full story is in the Birth Stories section.

May 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had been taking EPO and drinking RRL tea since 37 weeks. I was 38w, 6d when my water broke. I was washing dishes and thought I peed my pants. I didn't have any contractions for about 2-3 more hours. I walked around the neighborhood with my best friend (it was close to midnight) and then tried to sleep. I woke DH up around 1:30 and my best friend to because I started feeling the contractions. By 3:30 I was having contractions every minute or so and they lasted for a minute or more. So, we went to the hospital. I was 4.5cm when they checked me and the next time they checked me (because I was saying I was going to push) I had a tiny lip. That was at about 7:10 or so. I pushed just a few times and I delivered Lily at 7:51 that morning (39 weeks even). My labor from when I felt the first contraction to birth was roughly 6.5 hours. I did it all with no meds or other interventions, but I was in a hospital. I never once felt that I needed meds or anything. I spent a lot of time in the shower, both at home and at the hospital. And I yelled at DH when he stopped massaging my back because he got a hand cramp! It was a fantastic first birth!

Last edited by Twhylite21; May 6th, 2009 at 09:58 PM.
May 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How far along were you when you had your baby? I was 37w4d.
Did you do anything to encourage labor? Heck yeah! I was rearranging furniture, running (literally) up and down stairs, washing my floors on hands and knees, DTD, you name it I did it. I was done
Did you have a medical induction? No.
Did labor start naturally? Yes...to my surprise. I thought first babies were a lot more stubborn!
Did you water break first or did contractions start first? My water broke spontaneously, and about 1 1/2 hours later my lovely back labor started.
How long was the labor? 17 hours start to finish...so not terribly long.
How long did you push? 3 hours I was exhausted and kept falling asleep between pushes, but we got her out eventually! I was so happy my midwife was very calm and never mentioned 'helping' me...she was comfortable with me pushing that long.

Tell us anything and everything you'd like. I want to hear some encouraging stories this morning! I definitely feel like I wasn't quite prepared going in for how intense it was going to be, especially with the hard back labor, but I am so happy with the way it turned out! I had moments where I was just about ready to throw in the towel, but we got through them and I'm pretty darn glad I didn't give in. This time, being more prepared, I'm actually looking forward to the birth experience, and hoping to be able to enjoy it more!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How far along were you when you had your baby? 41 weeks and about 5 days
Did you do anything to encourage labor? Every recipe, acupuncture, walking, EPO, sex, RRL tea... nothing worked
Did you have a medical induction? no, but I had to switch doctors after 40 weeks to avoid one
Did labor start naturally? Yes
Did you water break first or did contractions start first? Water broke at 9 am and contractions started about 15 minutes later
How long was the labor? Starting at 9 am, but ended up needing a c/s shortly after midnight because she got stuck. If she had been in a good position, I probably would have had her by 5-6 pm, all the nurses thought so by the way I was progressing.
How long did you push? It was between 2-3 hours (the memory is really hazy for me) We tried to get her to turn but it wasn't happening.

Dilation and effacement in late pregnancy mean NOTHING! I was completely closed up during exams and I'm sure both doctors thought I'd never go into labor on my own. My first one outright told me so, and the second worked with me but I think he doubted it as well. But once my body was ready the labor progressed fine. I think when my water broke it forced my dd into a bad position where her head was tilted to the side, and all of my walking during early labor probably made it worse. But aside from that I have no doubt I would have been able to have her vaginally and with no meds, because I waited and had trust in the process.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search