How sad....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I was talking to a few friends of mine, trying to get some supportive words about having the baby naturally. You know a, "you can do it" or "I think it's a great idea" even better would be a "I've done it before and if I can, you can!". Instead I get...

- by 6cm I was screaming for an epi
- wow, you're crazy!
- Why suffer? Just get the epidural!
- all three of mine were c-sections, it's easier that way

Sooooo helpful.

Facebook
May 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
noworries
Ugh. Why can't people just be supportive?
I have no doubt that you can do this. It's not suffering, it's amazing. If you prepare youself, you won't regret it. You are doing what is best for you and baby. I've done it before and if I can, you can.
May 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
*sigh* Hang in there. We are here to tell you.... YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

May 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry they weren't more supportive.

I'll tell you this - when I had Grant (induced/epi) I would have told you after the birth that I wouldn't have been able to do it again for a long time!

After I had Dean (still induced, but much better and no meds) I could have done it again later that day if I had to!

You absolutely can do this and you will feel so empowered and accomplished after you do!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

May 6th, 2009, 12:59 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I got the "you're crazy" "don't be stupid" "why would you do that to yourself" from friends and co-workers. It stinks that our friends can't support us even if they wouldn't do the same, ya know? Sorry they aren't being supportive of your decision, but you know we all are!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

May 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can do it! And you will do it! =)

May 6th, 2009, 04:48 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
well, that sort of sucks, but just prove them wrong! YOU CAN DO IT!
May 6th, 2009, 05:01 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guarantee none of them took the time to prepare for a natural birth! UGGH, that's so annoying.
May 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We'll be your support!

I'm sorry your friends were unsupportive, that is just the mindset of almost every pregnant woman or mother now. Medical intervention is so common, it seems so odd when a woman gives bith without it. It is very sad

May 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Veteran
I have had the same reactions from people I have talked to. Someone even said "just get an epidural, you'll be fine". I just don't understand people. So few women have faith in themselves anymore. We can do it!!!!

May 7th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
That is sad but I agree that you totally CAN do this! Heck, if you want to, I'll give you my cell phone number and I can text you while you're in labor reminding you of how you can do it, lol. Don't listen to them sweetie!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 7th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm getting the same thing! Why does everyone think it's so crazy? At first my mom said, "why would you want to do that, it's not like you'll get a medal or something." Now she's a lot more supportive because she knows it's important to me. My DH wishes I would just get the epi so he doesn't have to see me in pain. So in some ways, I'm planning on using all the comments as more fuel to have him naturally. You are the most powerful person in your life, if you think you can, then you can!
May 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are they crazy? Of course you can do it!

I cry and whine when DH pops zits on my face, but I had a natural childbirth and loved it! It's a totally different discomfort and I was totally able to handle it, even the back labor!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 7th, 2009, 06:59 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry, double post...

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM
xanada101's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to xanada101 Send a message via Yahoo to xanada101
I have been getting the same comments. It is really irritating and annoying. I find now, the more they tell me I can't the more I want to prove them wrong.

May 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You definitely can do it! I got the same comments and guess what. I did it. Sorry people are supportive. But then again Im not exactly supportive of the decisions they make so there ya go.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 7th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Thanks!!! That makes me feel a lot better! Plus, last night DH finally stepped up and said something positive for a change!

Last night The Business of Being Born was on Showtime and I got all excited and put it on! Dh watched it with me and... ugh, at first he was ticking me off because he got all grossed out by the "graphic" parts. While we watched it I was complaining about all the comments I had got from people about not using drugs. He said, "you know hun, to be honest if I were a chick I'd get the epidural too. But I know this is what you want and I'm just gonna support you and hope it goes fast and isn't real painful. I'll do my best, but I suck with this stuff and you know that but you'll have the midwives too and they're really good with that stuff!". I didn't say anything and we watched the show a bit more and he chimes up, "you know I bet this will be easy for you, I mean you went almost all the way with Jayden naturally and that was with that nasty crap (pitocin) and your epidural wore off really fast so you didn't really get much pain relief, I bet you could have made it without". I do have him to thank for not getting any more drugs with Jayden. The needle they left hanging out of my back had just a tiny bit more of the medicine in it and I begged him to "just PUSH IT IN!" because it wore off after about an hour and he was too scared to and I couldn't reach to lol. We asked the nurse and she wasn't qualified to lol. It was for the best though! And my midwife has told me over and over again that natural labor won't seem as hard because it doesn't come on as strong. She said pitocin makes labor horribly painful from the start instead of gradually building up. So my confidence is building!

Again, thanks for all the replies!!

Facebook
May 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hate to sound ugly but it's been my experience that the women that are snarky about natural childbirth are the ones who didn't do it themselves. I think deep down they may be bummed that they didn't and hate for anyone to "outshine" them.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
May 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know you can do it! I f I could do it, anyone can...lol.

What I hate though is if we tell an epidural mom she is crazy because of the things it can do that harm the baby we are being rude, and people will tell us off because we are trying to make them feel bad. Um, so does telling us we are 'stupid' for going natural @@

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 9th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say you can do it and best of luck. Who needs negative opinions anyways...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search