Qotd - 5/7/08

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Do you home school your children or do you plan to? Have you considered it if not?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I'm still thinking about it. I am so afraid I wouldn't do a good job and they'd be behind. We'll see when Tanith gets little older how I feel. Maybe we'll do a trial run when she's old enough for kindergarten, since in WA you don't actually have to send them to public school for kindergarten.

May 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was just going to ask this question in my DDC...how funny

I was completely homeschooled, and I definitely plan on homeschooling my kids. I just feel like I had soooo many advantages and so much positive attention and reinforcement from my parents through homeschooling, and I benefited so much by not being sent away every day. My mom was a great teacher even with no formal training, and one of the most important things she learned was that there are so many great online and in-person resources to help out when you get stuck. I had a great experience and look forward to doing it with my children.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
xanada101's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to xanada101 Send a message via Yahoo to xanada101
No I am not going to homeschool. Both DH and I work. If I were going to be a SAHM I would consider it, but that is not possible for us at this point.

May 7th, 2009, 08:52 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I wish.DH is going to be a SAHD and would not be a good candidate for it I am thinking about some of the alternative schools in the area, if we could afford them (or have MIL pay for them, hehe).

May 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM
noworries
I always said that my kids would go to regular old public schools. I did and I turned out fine and I think it's important for kids to not be too sheltered. But, now that I actually have kids, other things are starting to creep into my head. I hear stories of the things that happen in schools today and it freaks me out. At the same time, I want to be able to give my kids the tools they need to deal with anything and then let them use them. Ugh.
I do know that I will not homeschool. It's just not for me. I will do everything to be involved in my kids school and make sure they are learning while at home, etc. but I know I would not enjoy homeschooling.
May 7th, 2009, 09:47 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do not/will not homeschool. I plan to be teaching in 5 years anyway after Brennen is kindergarten age. My oldest 2 children do very well in public school and we chose a wonderful community to live in with a great schools when we bought our home. I think homeschooling can be a wonderful experience for some people, but it's just not for me.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

Last edited by sillyp; May 7th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.
May 7th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I homeschool my kids, they were never in school, but my oldest who will go to grade 4 in September will go to school in September (DH isnt for homeschooling at all, so I am quite happy I was able to keep my kids for 3 years away from school, and I will pull my DD out of school if there are any issues, I am still homeschooling the rest of the kids, and if oldest DD does well in school, she is ahead of other kids her age, but I mean if there are no other social issues like bullying etc, then all the kids will enter school in grade 4, I feel that they are bit older and dont feel as bad as I would if there were gone from me all day long when they are only in grade one LOL)

May 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not for me, but I plan to be involved with her with homework and providing supplemental education for fun. I think no matter where you send them, parental involvement is the most important thing.

May 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Its so funny you ask this because I am on the fence about this issue right now. Brynn is in Kindergarten and she has not shown much improvement since the beginning of the year. Before she started school I taught her so much because I didnt want her to be behind and I thought the school would be able to take it from there. Well it hasnt worked out so well and Brynn actually hates going to school. So I am deciding if I am going to homeschool her for first grade. There are over a dozen families just in my neighborhood that homeschool so I already have tons of support. Im actaully thinking about going to a homeschooling seminar tomorrow. And let me tell you what after a kid is in school for 8 hours the last thing they want to do is come home and do homework. So it is a fight everyday just to get Brynn to practice her handwriting and reading. I feel like with how far along she was before had I continued to teach her she would be MUCH farther along now. Im going to start teaching her first grade level stuff this summer and see how she does but I need to find which cirriculum Im going to use first.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was homeschooled after 8th grade. Then took my GED-like test when I was 16 and was out completely. I think homeschooling is great but only for certain kids. I was very studious by nature and it also made a difference that I was older I think. My sister who did not excel in school and was 4 years younger had a harder time. Some kids really need the structure of public school. However, so much depends on how structured you make it at home too.
May 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was homeschooled myself and for that reason, I do not intend to homeschool my own children. Now, if something comes up as a valid and compelling enough reason that I feel I SHOULD homeschool one or all of my kids, I am certainly willing and able to do it. I'll do what is best for each specific child's needs.

May 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is something I've always thought about. Regular schooling was not really for me. I struggled and didn't really mesh well with the other kids lots of times. My SO, on the other hand, had a great experience and made wonderful life long friends going through public school. I wouldn't want my kids to be as depressed about school as I was, but I wouldn't want them to miss out on something and hold them back because of my fears. I think it will depend on the child, the schools, and our money situation to get a better idea about this.

May 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is something I've always thought about. Regular schooling was not really for me. I struggled and didn't really mesh well with the other kids lots of times. My SO, on the other hand, had a great experience and made wonderful life long friends going through public school. I wouldn't want my kids to be as depressed about school as I was, but I wouldn't want them to miss out on something and hold them back because of my fears. I think it will depend on the child, the schools, and our money situation to get a better idea about this.

May 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've given this a lot of thought, and it honestly depends where we are living. If we remain in Florida, my children will be home schooled no matter what. I don't care for the Florida school system and have seen what happens in our school systems. If we move out of the state, I may consider sending them to public school depending on what the school system has to offer. There are so many great programs and groups for kids that are home schooled, that I think they would be able to benefit from a build life long friendships in. If I do homeschool, I would definitely ensure that our children were subjected to a diverse group of kids, so that they don't live sheltered lives. I've seen that happen before, and while the kids may be smart, they have no idea what the real world is like.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
May 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been thinking about this a lot too, and I'm undecided. I have strongly considered home schooling, and I may just leave it up in the air until the time. I would like to research it a little though and be prepared in case I decide to. I'm not sure how I would do, my personality isn't great for it and I have other reservations.

My thoughts right now are we'll start Abby in the public schools for kindergarten and decide from there. If any of my children aren't doing well in a public school, I would give it a try, even if it was just for one child. I agree that different children will do well in different environments.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will likely homeschool. If I don't then we will be sending our little ones to a private day school. DH was homeschooled, and I know I would have benefited from it. I've also read so much and really feel that children will get a much greater benefit from a home schooling enviroment then what you can get in public schools. Once they reach a certain age (12/13) they will be able to decide for themselves.

May 7th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I have considered it for the younger age.. kindergarten kinda thing. Right now Nichole is way to social and needs to be in school. unfortuantely I can't get her in a preschool that isn't a day care type setting. She loves going to bible school once a week (2 hours) and is so happy when I pick her up. She talks all the time about wanting to go to school.
I am afraid of her being behine after she starts. At 3 we already know everything she needs to know for kindergarten (all letters, though not sounds yet, colors, numbers, counting objects, basic reasoning) but socially she is 3. lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 8th, 2009, 07:21 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I hope to, but of course I am not positive. Sadly, I don't have much faith in the public system no matter where I live. Maybe private, but that is a BIG if too. I'm not the smartest person but I think we could do ok. Plus they have wonderful networks now with a big emphesis on socialization. Plus you can always enlist in outside help with stuff that is really beyond your abilities and that type of thing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search