Watching TV and have a question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and congrats! This is a great group and I look forward to getting to know you.

As for your question, I can only speak from what I've read. It's not uncommon for people to go on the theory of "You have to have the baby w/in 24 hours of your water breaking" because of the chance of infection. However, if you avoid things that would introduce bacteria, I think that it's common for women to be able to go longer without any concern. But in this world so many people are about liability, many women end up getting Pitocin or a c-section.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
May 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've read a lot about starting the pitocin because the water has broken but no sign of baby, they really like this 24 hour time frame. Personally, I will fight tooth and nail if this happens to me. I would take antibiotics after 24 hours, but it would really be a war to get me to take any drugs. I don't think I'll have a huge issue though because I have a great CNM, but it is something I have thought about.

May 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
noworries
I think most doc's go with the 24 hour rule. You would probably have a little better luck going longer if you go with a midwife instead of OB but not always.
May 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Most midwives are willing to go much longer as long as there are no signs of infection (a fever can be the first sign of an infection). I think the 24 hour rule is for liability purposes. If a mother develops an infection, they are afraid she would sue them because they let her go too long with her water broken, knowing there *could* be that very slight possibility of infection. Really, a slight possibility is all it takes (which is also why they require antibiotics in labor if you are GBS positive). Midwives on the other hand are worried about a healthy mom and baby, but know there are other ways of getting that outcome than stamping a standard on each labor and delivery. Does that make sense?

I'd encourage you to read a good natural childbirth book, like "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" which covers all of the pros/cons of different interventions and gives a pretty unbiased point of view with the facts. It helps to go into your labor with the facts and being able to make your own decisions based on that.

May 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
^^ditto to the book, it's a favorite here! Very informative.

The rules in hospitals mostly exist because of liability, which is sadly what rules most of OB care.

I personally would stay away from those shows, or take everything you hear with a BIG grain of salt. A salt lick sized grain, if you know what I mean. That show is all drama and danger. Birth isn't always automatically an emergency. Those shows play into fear, your worst enemy during labor.

welcome and thanks for joining us, stick around!
May 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
oh yeah, those shows totally play it up. There was a natural birth on one of those shows the other day and the clip for it was "the DRAMA of natural childbirth" (sigh )

*IF* you aren't getting constant pelvic exams and nothing is getting stuck up there, you can generally safely go several days with your water broken. you'll just need to be careful and keep an eye out for fever, etc...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 8th, 2009, 05:01 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A doctor will not allow someone to go more then a few hours before eing in labor after ROM (rupture of membranes), but a midwife (out of the hospital) usually is more flexible. In the hospital they'll give you pit, likely break it more, even if only the forewaters were ruptured, raising your risk of infection themselves. Midwives will have other tricks up their sleaves, like referrals to an accupuncturist or herbs, homeopathics and more. These methods are often very effective, and also very safe, ocmpared to these hospital drugs nad interventions that increase discomfort and have side effects and added risk.

Especially if PROM (prelabor ROM) is a concern of yours, a midwife is definatly the safest option.

May 8th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
With my son my water started leaking and of course my OB rushed me to L&D and told me I needed pitocin RIGHT AWAY. I refused until 12 hours had passed and finally gave in. It was not the greatest experience so with this pregnancy we are going to a birthing center with midwives. At the birth center the midwives give you a full 48 hours before pushing induction. They want to see you each day and will send you home with a doppler to check the heart rate and will have you check your temperature at least every 4 hours to head off any infection.

I agree about not watching those shows as much and reading the mentioned book.

I hope you like it here! Welcome and congratulations!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 12th, 2009, 07:13 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
There is one way to ensure that they don't push an induction on you for breaking your water. Don't tell them! If you are at home without any vaginal exams and monitoring your own temperature every few hours, I don't know why they would need to know.

Does an experienced Momma know of a reason this would be a bad idea?

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 12th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Hmmm, this is all very interesting. I also don't want to be induced and would try to avoid it as much as possible. Now, I have a midwife BUT, I'm also going to be giving birth in a hospital. Does that throw all of the midwife's leniency out the window??? If so, should I talk to her to see if there is another location I can give birth (my home is too far away from a hospital, in case of emergencies) such as an actual birthing center? Just curious.
May 12th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Some midwives will be fine in a hospital setting. My first was a hospital birth with a midwife and I had very minimal interventions (a couple times of being on the EFM and breaking my water at full dilation). But sometimes (especially if it's a hopsital employed midwife) they seem to be more medically minded and do push for interventions, though typically not as much as an OB. Its kinda hard to know before hand. Have you asked about her intervention rates (how often pitocin is used, etc...)?

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search