Log In Sign Up

Question for all you natural mama's


Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
May 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM
noworries
Guest
Posts: n/a
When I went into labor with Eva, my doctor had not sent over my test results to the hospital yet so I had to have an IV in my hand just in case I was positive and "needed" the antibiotics (I didn't know anything about Group B Strep at the time). It ended up that I was negative and didn't get the antibiotics but they left the IV in my hand during the entire labor and delivery "just in case". I hated it. I won't be getting tested for it this time as I am using homebirth midwives that do as few tests as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
May 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 12,934
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
my main thing is that I really REALLY can't stand needles. So having one in labor, even for a short time is really an uncomfortable thought. I also avoid antibiotics and medication in general unless it's necessary, though I'm probably quicker to move to that than some people I know.

to me it's just an inconvenience that isn't necessary
__________________
Kellisa, Mama to:
Courtney, Nola, Kya, and Whitney

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!




Reply With Quote
  #23  
May 9th, 2009, 12:35 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 5,335
I was supposed to be tested on my 37 week appt... I went into labor that morning- and never had been tested. My midwife said she was going to just give me the antibiotics if my water bag broke early....but it popped about 20 mins before she was born... so I never got the antibiotics... they said the chance of me having it and passing it to her was slim since my bag was in tact the whole time. Which was fine with me, but I have no clue if I had it!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
May 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Crazytown
Posts: 1,798
This was my downfall with Lucas... GBS+ and my water broke and I was 0% effaced and 0cm dilated (of course! LOL)

Anyways, I got manipulated in the system and narrowly escaped a section. This time, I'm planning a homebirth and if I test positive for GBS then I will be using a Hibiclens rinse rather than the antibiotics.

I feel so guilty about not doing enough research for DS1 when it came to the GBS stuff.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #25  
May 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,224
Thank you for asking this - this is also something I need to learn about.

Great responses, ladies!! Thank you!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
May 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveandlove0725 View Post
Thank you for asking this - this is also something I need to learn about.

Great responses, ladies!! Thank you!!
Wanna research it and post it to the educational forum in the DDC?

I think I will do the Hibiclens a few days before the appt if my midwives want to test for it. I have never been positive, but it doesn't hurt to be proactive!
__________________

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote
  #27  
May 12th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by fascha View Post
This was my downfall with Lucas... GBS+ and my water broke and I was 0% effaced and 0cm dilated (of course! LOL)

Anyways, I got manipulated in the system and narrowly escaped a section. This time, I'm planning a homebirth and if I test positive for GBS then I will be using a Hibiclens rinse rather than the antibiotics.

I feel so guilty about not doing enough research for DS1 when it came to the GBS stuff.
Don't feel guilty...things happen.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #28  
May 12th, 2009, 05:47 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 8,446
I would opt for the antibiotics if I test positive, but I have a friend with a little girl who is permanently disabled from contracting GBS at birth. Her husband was a doctor, and they decided to deliver at home with no tests, meds, etc. Tragically, their daughter was one of the rare cases. So though it's unlikely that anything would happen, we would err on the side of caution. Spending time with Cassidy and seeing how little cognitive function she was left with was enough to make us want to be safe not sorry.

Admittedly, if she wasn't in our lives, we probably would have declined. We do not believe in most routine use of antibiotics.
__________________

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
Reply With Quote
  #29  
May 12th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,466
Awww! that is really to bad. Good luck.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #30  
May 12th, 2009, 06:14 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,223
If I knew I were positive, I would definitely get the antibiotics. We had a friend of ours lose their baby at 55 days old from Group B Strep. I won't go into the story because I don't want to scare anyone, but they can't always tell the baby has it.
__________________

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07


Reply With Quote
  #31  
May 12th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 10,730
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I would not get tested. If I did get tested, I wouldn't get the antibiotic. I avoid antibiotics if I can, as most natural remedies work just as well.
__________________
Wendy, Mom to
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, & Jocelyn

Reply With Quote
  #32  
May 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Christine ~ View Post
If I knew I were positive, I would definitely get the antibiotics. We had a friend of ours lose their baby at 55 days old from Group B Strep. I won't go into the story because I don't want to scare anyone, but they can't always tell the baby has it.
I totally understand why people would want antibiotics if they know somebody who contracted it at birth, the thing is there are other things to get rid of GBS before birth in mom (naturaly), and I dont think antibiotics would work in each case either (my opinion of course).
__________________
***MARTINA*** Mom to Kayla 10/00; Kiarra 10/01; Kameron 06/03; Kassidy 08/05; Karissa 07/09.

Reply With Quote
  #33  
May 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 12,934
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I totally understand why people would want antibiotics if they know somebody who contracted it at birth, the thing is there are other things to get rid of GBS before birth in mom (naturaly), and I dont think antibiotics would work in each case either (my opinion of course).

true, it actually says in my handbook from my midwife that NO treatment is 100% effective.

Also, the majority of cases I've heard about are where the mom either tested negative or otherwise didn't know she had it. Of course there are stories out there of bad cases, as there are with almost everything. That's the definition of risk.
__________________
Kellisa, Mama to:
Courtney, Nola, Kya, and Whitney

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!




Reply With Quote
  #34  
May 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lynnwood Washington
Posts: 2,433
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
I had GB Strep when Pregnant with my daughter and the hospital just told me they had to administer the antibiotics. At the time I just trusted their decision and ran with it. I've learned more about it since then, and even though there is such a small percentage of anything actually happening to your baby, it's not a risk I would take. If I'm diagnosed with it again this time, I'll get the antibiotics just because of how dangerous it can be IF the baby actually gets sick because of it. I'm a worry wart though lol
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #35  
May 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Christine ~ View Post
If I knew I were positive, I would definitely get the antibiotics. We had a friend of ours lose their baby at 55 days old from Group B Strep. I won't go into the story because I don't want to scare anyone, but they can't always tell the baby has it.
That is scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Mommy View Post
I had GB Strep when Pregnant with my daughter and the hospital just told me they had to administer the antibiotics. At the time I just trusted their decision and ran with it. I've learned more about it since then, and even though there is such a small percentage of anything actually happening to your baby, it's not a risk I would take. If I'm diagnosed with it again this time, I'll get the antibiotics just because of how dangerous it can be IF the baby actually gets sick because of it. I'm a worry wart though lol
Same here I would rather be safe than sorry and I take antibiotics as I am prone to "deadly" (painful) sinus infection and nothing else gets ride of it but antibiotics; so getting them is nothing different for me.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #36  
May 12th, 2009, 02:08 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,223
I see your point Martina. I know some people are against using antibiotics, which I am for many routine things, but with something like this, especially having a husband that's a DR, I'd still be getting them!

It's not an issue I've researched much since it hasn't been an issue for me yet. Does anyone have any links to articles about antibiotics not being effective or even harmful in that situation or just against their use for GBS in general? I just wanted to read some of them. TIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Mommy View Post
If I'm diagnosed with it again this time, I'll get the antibiotics just because of how dangerous it can be IF the baby actually gets sick because of it. I'm a worry wart though lol
I hear ya!
__________________

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07


Reply With Quote
  #37  
May 12th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
I was negative so I didn't worry about it during labor/delivery. However, I did worry about it before the test and found some info online (and I think Sarah (GrowBabyGrow) mentioned it back then as well) about using Hibiclens to wash for a week before your test and then when you go into labor as it kills all the bacteria.

I kinda think the test is stupid since you can test positive for it but then be negative when you deliver, and vice versa. I would most likely decline the antibiotics if I did test positive and just be aware of all the warning signs to look for.

Awww! You remember me.

Personally for me it depends on how I test positive. If I test positive with a simple vaginal/rectal swab then I will likely decline antibiotics and use something like Hibiclens. However I tested positive through urine indicating heavy colonization of GBS throughout my body including my bladder. Therefore I opted for the antibiotics in case of water breaking, prolonged labor, etc.

Oh and I think she meant to look for warning signs in the baby not the mother as GBS has no "signs".
__________________

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0