Doulas

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So I've toyed around with the idea of becoming a lactation consultant and very briefly a midwife, and now I'm thinking doula. I know a few of you have trained to become doulas, can you tell me a little about the process?

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't, since i am not one, but it is on my list of things to do. I was actually about to make my own similar post..lol...well I still am...hehe

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Feel free to thread-jack too if you'd like

May 12th, 2009, 06:33 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
There are a bunch of online programs you can do. The one I am doing is VERY involved and long. Others are much shorter. There are also weekend seminars you can do and stuff. I kind of feel like some, like DONA, don't really prepare them enough.

Do you have someone to watch the girls when you are called to a birth? This is a big issue for many.

The program I am doing is Childbirth International. They have a lactation counselor program that might be perfect for you!!
May 12th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Cheryl!

DH is home a lot, but that's a good point, because birth can be anytime of the day or night. I've always figured that something like this would have to wait until my children are older, which is okay. I just thought I would research it now, and see what is involved.

May 12th, 2009, 09:15 AM
noworries
I'm getting certified through DONA. Basically there are several books you have to read, you have to attend a 16 hours workshop which is a ton of information shoved into those 16 hours but is a great way to meet and network with other doulas to be if the workshop is in your area. You have to attend a childbirth class and lactation class (you can do the lactation one online or in person).
You can go online to DONA.com and read all the requirements to become a birth doula.
May 12th, 2009, 12:40 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally feel (through my own research and through speaking with other doulas) that an in person training is crutial. Practicing those skills is a lot more valuable then just research. I did a weekend intensive traning (totalling over 22 hours), attended 24 hours of childbirth education, did a 3 hour course on Breastfeeding, and spent countless hours reading. I also wrote essays, attended births (my three training births totaled over 70 hours) and learned from a mentor. I went with dona, and would do it again. The certification process is tough to do in a timely manner, and especially would be hard iwth a child, but it is do-able. You can even bring anna to the training I bet.

May 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I recommend contacting some doulas in your area to see what certification route they suggest. I was going to go with DONA until a large Doula Group suggested I look at a couple of local ones that they felt had more comprehensive training. No one in my area had even heard of Childbirth International, so things are definitely regional.
May 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to look into all of those programs, and I'm already reading through the one for a lactation counselor. I think that one is the best fit since it sounds like I could put my training and hours into getting my LC certification later on. I think anything will probably have to wait though, if I want to have another, I'm looking at until he/she is a few years old to go back to work, at least. I'd like to see if it's something I can do part time or work into being a SAHM so I could do it sooner, but still be home with my children until they are all in school.

May 13th, 2009, 05:32 AM
firm childcare is a must. For me, as a doula and birth assistant I'm attening 4+ births a month lately, so I'm still not sure how it'll work out! I will be taking a break, likely 3 months, and then I will be back to attending births. But many doulas take a lot of time off, I know one who takes off two years for each child.

I plan on having a list of 6+ people I feel comfortable watching my baby. Most will be past clients I think. Overnights are easier, b/c Rob will be home, and weekends too. But durring the day our last resort will be him missing work, which is not a good solution either.

Once I'm a student midwife we'll likely need a full time nanny, especially if we have another child before then.

If you were attending births at a low volume (1-2 per month) you could probably make due with family, if you have some nearby and at least one person doesn't work.

May 13th, 2009, 06:06 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Yeah Shauna, CBI is global and very popular in Australia from what I can tell. I am not against DONA I just have a friend who breezed through the training and remarked that she didn't feel like she knew what she was doing.
May 13th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
Yeah Shauna, CBI is global and very popular in Australia from what I can tell. I am not against DONA I just have a friend who breezed through the training and remarked that she didn't feel like she knew what she was doing.
hmmm. maybe she didn't really do things with the right intention.... a lot of people skip the reading, and hardly pay attention to the childbirth classes or BF classes. And for what I've heard the workshop veries a lot by instructor too.

I felt extremly prepared, which is saying a lot, b/c I went into it with passion, but not much else!

May 14th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Lady Moonlight's Avatar Freddy and Sammy's Mommy
Hi ladies. I'm just popping in b/c I saw this topic. I hope y'all don't mind. It's interesting to read people's ideas and opinions.
I'm taking my doula workshop this fall. The hospital where I had my VBAC has a volunteer doula program and that's what I will be doing for probably at least a year. So, next summer or so, I will start my certification and start up a business.
It's good to hear that doing 1-2 births a month is doable with children. Childcare is my number one priority. And while we have a lot of family in this area, I don't want to rely on them too much. So I wonder about finding a 24hour available babysitter. Any ideas on that one?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search