Cord clamping and other related ?s

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I was doing research on more gentle birthing suggestions, and decided we really want to wait until the cord stops pulsing before cutting, as well as no vitamin K shot/HepB vax and we are refusing any non critical newborn care ( read: baby will stay with us thank you!)

I know the hospital feels strongly about many of these "policies" and we may run into a little nastiness, so we are looking for a nice polite way to let the staff know our wishes. My midwife advised not to bring a birthing plan, as it seems to set the hospital staff up to be argumentative, and we don't really want that. She said I may make one for them however, and they will try to assist us with our wishes. We also have a doula that is on board and is our second set of eyes and ears ( aside from my husband) to make sure we get informed consent for any procedure- this hospital has a great rate of "whoops, didn't know you didn't want that treatment" when it comes to deviations from the standard policies.

So what is a nice way to let people gently know we would like to deviate from the "policy", have different ideas for our baby, and want to care for our infant as much as possible by ourselves?

PS- I really wish I had found a midwife to do a homebirth now, I never realized how tough it could be to -heaven forbid- have a natural childbirth in a hospital!
May 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I am doing the Vit K but have waived the Hep B and the Eye gook. I already filled out forms stating that I will refuse those treatments, i would inquire about that. No one can force you to do anything.

May 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
I'm sure it'll be tough in the hospital to make your choices known, but just stay calm and firm. Having someone there to back you up is always nice too, in the end it is YOUR choice and they can't do anything without your consent

May 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
I'm sure it'll be tough in the hospital to make your choices known, but just stay calm and firm. Having someone there to back you up is always nice too, in the end it is YOUR choice and they can't do anything without your consent

May 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I wish I could help, e are refusing a bunch of stuff but we are in a free standing birth center, so its easy. lol
with Nichole we were not educated enough and just went with the flow

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 12th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm... You might just say that you would like them to ask you and your husband before doing ANYTHING to your baby. Im afraid to say though that you might have to be a little mean. They have a way of making you feel like a horrible parent for refusing anything.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 12th, 2009, 03:19 PM
mommy1980's Avatar Super Mommy
Im a RN on the mommy and baby floor. They should give you a form and ask you prior to doing anything. I ask all my patients about the vit K, eye stuff, hepb, bloodwork for state screening and dye on the cord along with anything else that comes up. If you don't want any of these we have a form for you to sign. Also i tell ypour pediatrician you don't want the hep b. We can't give it unless the doc orders it along with verbal consent from mom. Your nurse should be advocating for you as well and keeping you informed. At my hospital the policy is to keep the moms with babies at all times as well. Just tell them your wishes. You may have to repeat them if they don't get passed along though. ie you deliver on one floor and transfered to a mommy baby unit.

Arissa born August 28, 2009 at 1050 am

7lbs. 20 1/4 inches

May 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
stupid double post

7lbs. 20 1/4 inches

May 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
yuck triple post

7lbs. 20 1/4 inches

May 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would put it in writing, just in case things go quickly. Also make sure to talk with your midwife or OB at your prenatal appointments about it, unless you are unsure who will be on-call when you go into labor. Your doula should also have a copy of what you want, in writing, so she is aware of what to tell the nurses.

At Abby's birth, they did things so quickly, I'm not sure we would have had the chance to refuse if we wanted. You'll want to be sure the nurses and OB/midwife delivering, know what your wishes are while you're in labor, to make it easier.
May 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Katy Moore's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm also having a hospital birth, but my midwife has been there for quite a few years, and all the nurses love her. The best advice I've gotten so far is:
bring treats! I'm planning on baking cookies or something for the nurses as soon as I think I'm in labor, as long as I have the time!
Bring a birth plan anyway, even if the midwife says not to.
State everything positively in your birth plan. Instead of saying "I do NOT want this", say "I would prefer to avoid this.."
Room in. It'll be so much harder for them to do anything if you and DH are right there with the baby. If the baby's in the nursery, you might not know what went on!

Having the doula is definitely a great choice if you'll be at a hospital, and she'll most likely make sure no one does anything they're not supposed to!

Check out my boutique! Baby Bottom Boutique

May 13th, 2009, 05:23 AM
momofemnry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just said no thank you before anything. THey said OK I never had a problem with natural child birth and refusing things for the baby at my hospital.
May 13th, 2009, 05:42 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I am a bit worried about not having anything in writing. That is your insurance in case they do something you don't want. We roomed in and refused everything except one blood test but we still had to remind them every step of the way.

If you really want a home birth it may not be too late. I am on my phone so I can't see how far along you are. It is possible to have a natural hospital birth if you get a good hospital and nurse. The nurse is unpredictable but you can ask for a ncb friendly and experienced nurse when you get there. Remind your birth partner and doula because you may forget when the time comes. I know I did.
May 13th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Thanks everyone! I have heard about the treats and was bringing brownies and coffeecake too! ( But mine will be purchased I think!)

We are going to try and keep the baby with us at all times, and to my knowledge the only time the baby physically has to be away is for the newborn hearing test, and I am searching now to see if that can be done outside of the hospital at a private practice just to avoid someone removing my baby from us so soon. We are also hoping to shorten our stay in the hospital by offering to bring the baby to our family practitioner ( who is affliated with the hospital anyways, same electronic records) for PKU, one of the screenings we are okay with as we can request veinipuncture instead of lancets for the bloodwork and I can hold my baby when it happens there- the hospital gives us no choice with that one.

Hopefully this will all be for nothing and we will have no problems, I just know there have been lots of problems there in the past and it worries me.
May 13th, 2009, 06:56 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Request waiver forms ahead of time and have them filled out and put in your file before you arrive or right when you get there.

Also, see if your midwife will agree to place the baby on your chest when he/she is born and have the newborn exams conducted while the baby is laying on you. That way, if they pick up a tube of eye ointment, a syringe, etc. you, DH , & the doula will see it coming, and can say "no thank you. We filed a waiver for that already."

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 13th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks! That is great advice!
May 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
They did the hearing test for my daughter right in our room.
May 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM
See, I would think they could, but they say they HAVE to take the baby to another room by himself- no grownup allowed, and that makes me uncomfortable. Maybe it is a different type of test, but I will gladly take him somewhere outside of the hospital to have it checked

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search